Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2018, 05:38 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 39RESB3
State: Florida
THOR #5499
New Batteries

Well, as I mentioned before, the dealer decided to reimburse us for 4 new batteries for our rig. I ordered the VMAX AGM 6 volt 225 amp batteries and hooked them up yesterday.
When I got ready to hook the last two short cables up, I got a very large spark and knew something was wrong. So made sure everything was off and tried again. Again, a large spark, one you should not be getting. Rechecked all the wiring and it was fine. So, finally decided that it was the inverter trying to start when I tried to hook up the last of the wires. So, removed the positive wire going from the inverter to the catastrophic fuse back to the battery and this did the trick. Keep in mind I have a 2800 Magnum, but I am assuming that with any inverter, you will have the same issue. So, if this helps anyone else, great. Just remove the wire going to the inverter and when done with the battery connections, rehook the inverter up and you will be good to go. Did I mention I'm scared of electrical work?

juicesqueezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:41 AM   #2

Model: Memphis
State: South Dakota
THOR #2341
Hooking up the positive first and NEg last is also a way to negate the "Spark" It's also a good reason to use a battery switch.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:48 AM   #3

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Hooking up the positive first and NEg last is also a way to negate the "Spark" It's also a good reason to use a battery switch.
Agree, that is exactly how I hook up batteries and the battery switch was off. The problem was the 2800 inverter trying to come on line.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:02 AM   #4

Model: 40KSSB4
State: California
THOR #5723
Was your trailer plugged in to shore power? If it was, then the inverter was trying to push a charge into the batteries as you were hooking them up. You should unplug the trailer (or at least turn the breaker off) when installing batteries so that no charge source is trying to push power out to the batteries.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:56 AM   #5

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by heiser252 View Post
Was your trailer plugged in to shore power? If it was, then the inverter was trying to push a charge into the batteries as you were hooking them up. You should unplug the trailer (or at least turn the breaker off) when installing batteries so that no charge source is trying to push power out to the batteries.
Everything was unplugged! You don't need anything on to cause a heavy spark if you still have the inverter/charger hooked through the batteries.
Like I stated, unhook the positive wire that is coming from the inverter and this eliminates all draw from the batteries.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #3109
If I understand them correctly, inverters store some electricity (capacitor) even when not hooked to power--a strong spark when connecting to one is normal. A cutoff switch will work. Porkchop can explain this better if he notices the posts.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #7

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
If I understand them correctly, inverters store some electricity (capacitor) even when not hooked to power--a strong spark when connecting to one is normal. A cutoff switch will work. Porkchop can explain this better if he notices the posts.
I am planning on installing a disconnect switch when we go the solar route. That is a must have for sure. I'm not sure about the storing of electricity, but this spark was like you took the positive cable and touched it too a metal ground. Scared the crap out of me!
Old 05-30-2018, 06:46 PM   #8

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
I'm not aware of an invertor that stores a significant amount of electricity. There really would be no use for it. I am sure they do store a small amount just to maintain the logic and control functions.

I would guess with out seeing it that the invertor is just trying to start doing what it's supposed to do and there is no problem. If possible to reach the invertor, and it has an external switch, just shut it off before attempting to connect. Otherwise the calls for adding a shut off switch in the positive wire would be my choice. Good luck

Bill
Old 05-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #9

THOR #3109
I probably stated it wrong, but from a Cobra Inverter install manual:

"You might observe a spark when you make this connection,
since current can flow to charge capacitors in the inverter."
May not be true for all inverters...

My electrical knowledge is extremely limited, but I do know "If the smoke gets out, it won't work any more."
2017 F450 KR
Old 05-30-2018, 09:44 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicesqueezer View Post
Agree, that is exactly how I hook up batteries and the battery switch was off. The problem was the 2800 inverter trying to come on line.
Hooking up the positive first is so you don't create a direct short should your wrench accidentally touch metal framework (ground) when you are tightening the lug.

Electricity doesn't care if you hook up one polarity first or last, when the circuit is complete, current will flow if there is a load, like capacitors in an inverter charging. You get the same flow (spark) either way.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:37 PM   #11

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Hooking up the positive first is so you don't create a direct short should your wrench accidentally touch metal framework (ground) when you are tightening the lug.

Electricity doesn't care if you hook up one polarity first or last, when the circuit is complete, current will flow if there is a load, like capacitors in an inverter charging. You get the same flow (spark) either way.
Makes sense! Thanks to all who responded! Batteries working, 2800 Magnum producing and I'm a happy camper!
Old 06-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #12

THOR #9543
There is a dangerous safety issue in the sliding battery compartment behind the 2800 Magnum. The first time that I pulled mine out, and pushed it back in, sparks shot all over the place. I checked everything, found nothing and pushed it back in again, and again, lots of sparks. The issue was/is that when DRV built the cabinet and mounted the magnum, sharp pointed metal screws were protruding into the battery compartment. They had put a drop of silicone on each one, but a couple had been missed, or the silicone had come off. Pushing the tray into the compartment, pushed the heavy red cable/s onto the sharp screw, which penetrated into the wire. I cleaned the silicone off of all of them and screwed a rubber cap onto each one.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #13

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
There is a dangerous safety issue in the sliding battery compartment behind the 2800 Magnum. The first time that I pulled mine out, and pushed it back in, sparks shot all over the place. I checked everything, found nothing and pushed it back in again, and again, lots of sparks. The issue was/is that when DRV built the cabinet and mounted the magnum, sharp pointed metal screws were protruding into the battery compartment. They had put a drop of silicone on each one, but a couple had been missed, or the silicone had come off. Pushing the tray into the compartment, pushed the heavy red cable/s onto the sharp screw, which penetrated into the wire. I cleaned the silicone off of all of them and screwed a rubber cap onto each one.
Glad you figured out the problem. Not good that this was their fix for the problem. When I installed our new batteries the other day, I had to remove the sliding trays. Batteries were too wide for the tray. Did not see any screws protruding into the compartment, but my Magnum is mounted a different way.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #14

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Quote:
Does not surprise me!!! Bout as smart as using self drilling screws into wood!
Old 06-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #15

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
I’ve already cut about 6-8 of the screws off with a small cut off wheel.
Right after the first gash in my arm checking the propane compartment.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #5803
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicesqueezer View Post
Well, as I mentioned before, the dealer decided to reimburse us for 4 new batteries for our rig. I ordered the VMAX AGM 6 volt 225 amp batteries and hooked them up yesterday.
When I got ready to hook the last two short cables up, I got a very large spark and knew something was wrong. So made sure everything was off and tried again. Again, a large spark, one you should not be getting. Rechecked all the wiring and it was fine. So, finally decided that it was the inverter trying to start when I tried to hook up the last of the wires. So, removed the positive wire going from the inverter to the catastrophic fuse back to the battery and this did the trick. Keep in mind I have a 2800 Magnum, but I am assuming that with any inverter, you will have the same issue. So, if this helps anyone else, great. Just remove the wire going to the inverter and when done with the battery connections, rehook the inverter up and you will be good to go. Did I mention I'm scared of electrical work?
I can see why removing the positive wire from inverter to the fuse to the batteries would eliminate the spark. But, after your batteries are hooked up and you reconnect the wire to the fuse, won't that draw a spark?

However, if shore power and the battery switch are off, why should there be any spark? The Magnum would have no need to draw power from the batteries and no power to charge them with.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:26 AM   #17

THOR #9543
I’m glad that the spark problems were rectified, however I don’t understand the reason that was posted. I have the 2800 Magnum with six 6-volt batteries and have wired and re-wired half a dozen times with no sparks......except what I posted about the screws poking into the battery compartment.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:05 AM   #18

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by David & Diane View Post
I can see why removing the positive wire from inverter to the fuse to the batteries would eliminate the spark. But, after your batteries are hooked up and you reconnect the wire to the fuse, won't that draw a spark?

However, if shore power and the battery switch are off, why should there be any spark? The Magnum would have no need to draw power from the batteries and no power to charge them with.
David; once I unhooked the battery cable to the inverter, no major spark, only the very small one you normally get. When I had all the batts connected, I rehooked the inverter and there was no spark. What I believe was happening was the inverter was coming on line when I tried to hook the batts up. Whatever the reason, it worked!
Old 06-17-2018, 02:08 AM   #19

THOR #5499
Quote:
I’m glad that the spark problems were rectified, however I don’t understand the reason that was posted. I have the 2800 Magnum with six 6-volt batteries and have wired and re-wired half a dozen times with no sparks......except what I posted about the screws poking into the battery compartment.
Are your batteries in series or parallel. All I know is I was not hooking anything up wrong.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:52 AM   #20

THOR #3109
From page 15 of manual on the 2812...

• A brief spark or arc may occur when connecting the battery cables to the inverter DC terminals;
this is normal and due to the inverter’s internal capacitors being charged.
2017 F450 KR