Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2018, 03:57 AM   #61

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
I am sure you mentioned it back somewhere--but you are full-time?
We are now at 18 months, and there have been some challenges, I can assure you, but neither of us are tired yet...but the newer DRV has me worried about some long-term issues.

2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:09 AM   #62

State: South Dakota
THOR #4935
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I am sure you mentioned it back somewhere--but you are full-time?
We are now at 18 months, and there have been some challenges, I can assure you, but neither of us are tired yet...but the newer DRV has me worried about some long-term issues.
Yeah, I read that thread on the roof, mine worries me after the tree hit it. We are what I call half timers. We have a winter house in AZ and in April we take off for South Dakota, then Omaha to see grandkids, then to Ohio to see our youngest daughter and then to Michigan to see my wife's family. Get back to AZ in Oct after the heat. We go about 10K miles a year and have been doing it for 12 years now. When in AZ for six months it seems like all I do is work on the pickup and 5er to get ready to go again, its getting old. Full-timeing it would be a lot bigger challenge for sure! It seems like more and more campgrounds don't like you working on your 'stuff'.
Glenn 08 36tk3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:55 PM   #63

THOR #14606
Hey all,

Quick question. I’m picking up a ‘14 39RESB3 in a couple weeks and the seller mentioned that the two batteries aren’t holding a charge well. I’d like to grab a pair of lifelines and I’ve studied this forum, but no one has mentioned a specific model that work with our coaches. Assuming that they’re 6v, the GPL-4CT looks to be the same dimensions, but I’m looking for some verification, as I don’t want to spend $800 on a mistake.

Would someone mind verifying which Lifeline batteries I need to purchase to install in the coach?
Old 03-05-2019, 10:52 PM   #64

State: South Dakota
THOR #4935
Can't go wrong with Lifelines. I've had two of them for ten years (12v) and one has gone bad. 12v or 6v, I personally don't think it matters, more experienced guys will come alone to answer.
Glenn 08 36tk3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:19 PM   #65
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I had started a thread to see what I could learn about Lifeline Batteries:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...ies-15691.html

I hope that you can find something useful in it.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:42 AM   #66

THOR #14606
oldbird - thank you, sir. And I’ve thoroughly appreciated your various input on these forums. You’re a good guy. Thank you.

Bob - yes, yes indeed. Your Trojan pic had me chuckle, too! I’m definitely sold on these as I will be relocating from the oilfields of Odessa to the oilfields of Wyoming, and just that much more reassurance in -30° nights will be worth the investment. Thank you for the link, kind sir.

Can’t wait for others to chime in! Thanks again for your help, gentlemen.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:31 AM   #67

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Don't forget to set up some type of skirting to keep the wind out and pack lots of supplies. I you are staying at a rig it can be a long way to town. Keep it turnin to the right.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:54 AM   #68

THOR #14606
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Don't forget to set up some type of skirting to keep the wind out and pack lots of supplies. I you are staying at a rig it can be a long way to town. Keep it turnin to the right.
Thx, Sam!

I’ll be parking it at an RV lot in the small town where our company will be building its infrastructure. Therefore, it won’t be moved, so I can build a wood frame skirting around the RV, replete with doors so that I can get in and air the tires every couple of months. I will then use wood screws to screw in foam board to the wood frame. It should resist the high winds at that point. Been doing a ton of research on this, hence the choosing a DRV fiver with twin furnaces, dual panes, etc. Just need proper guidance over the next few months as I conceptualize this all coming together.

Also worth mentioning, this is a genius idea for windows insulation in any extreme weather, be it hot or cold..

Anyway, apologies for off-topic banter. I’ll start a thread on insulation for sub-zero living in the near future as I’ll only have about four months to prep this rig before the move to WY...

Thanks again, Sam! Your input is highly appreciated!
Old 03-06-2019, 03:16 PM   #69

THOR #3109
Having been in Evanston for the Overthrust boom from '80-'90, I can tell you that being in any RV in a WY winter is a real challenge. No matter how much planning/insulation you can put up/in, what happens when the power goes out?
Skirting is a given, and heat inside the skirting also needed. Then, consider that commercial heated RV water lines are listed to around -30d or so....
But it can be done, just is NOT FUN. Need an enclosed porch around the door, and be wary of drifting snow, you can get blocked in if in a serious blizzard.
Just where in WY will you be located?
Joe

Also, the 4CT should be an exact replacement for the batteries you have; but the 6CTs are same width/length as 4CT but 3" taller for a gain of 80ah/battery. Might want to consider them if you have the clearance between the battery top and upper pump tray. But being 6volt in series, you won't gain 160ah, but only the 80. Might not be worth the cost/effort.

InvertersRUS.com $325 free shipping, prob no tax
2017 F450 KR
Old 03-07-2019, 01:37 AM   #70

THOR #14606
Wingnut,

Thank you so much for your reply, and likewise, for your participation on these forums. I’ve learned a lot from your posts over the last few months as I’ve done my research. You’re certainly an asset here and just want to take a moment to thank you for your presence.

I’ll be happy to let you know the location once the company has acquired property, as they’re discreetly looking. So everything is still privy to those in the know, and I’d prefer to wait until there’s a public announcement. Hope I’ve your understanding on this. It’s not a small operation by any measure.

Allow me to start a new thread. I’ll quote what you said to add to the conversation. That way if anyone is searching for information on the subject, it’ll be in one place for them. I’ll begin it in just a few minutes.

And back to the batteries, I want to thank you for both the advice, and the link. Those are $50 less than I likely would’ve spent elsewhere + tax!

To wrap up the battery question Wingnut, if I never plan on running solar, I will be equipped with a backup generator for the “just in case the electricity goes out” moments, and won’t be moving the trailer but once every few years, do you personally see any benefit to running any other battery setup other than the stock 2 six volt 4CT AGM battery replacement?

Thank you so much for your time.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:30 AM   #71

THOR #3109
With the idea that there will always be 120volt power available, then 2 AGMs will do just fine. I made it for years with only 2 regular Trojans + gen power. Then 4, then full solar + 4 LL AGMs. Have since noticed I don't get much solar help with 6" of snow on the panels...
I wish you much luck with winter camping, every day as it gets colder you will learn more and adapt.
Just finished 3+ weeks in Denver and the temps at night were only above freezing one night, no skirting!!! It was a chore, but survived.
2017 F450 KR
Old 03-07-2019, 03:34 AM   #72

THOR #14606
Thank you, Joe. Your experience in these matters are humbly appreciated! I’ll be ordering those batteries tonight! And thank you for the well wishes.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #73

THOR #14606
Just to follow up, the 4TC AGM batteries are the direct replacements for the OEM batteries. They ft perfectly. The posts are a different length from each other however, so you have to rotate one of the batteries 180° to be able to use the stock wiring.

Thank you again, Wingnut.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #74

State: New Jersey
THOR #14703
What is the 7pin connector?
Old 04-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #75

THOR #3109
Adrenalist,
You currently still in TX?
2017 F450 KR
Old 04-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #76

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannone@gmail.com View Post
What is the 7pin connector?
The 7 pin connector is your main trailer plug connection when towing. You should be getting charging voltage from your truck when it is running and your trailer is connected to it.
To verify you are getting charging, check the voltage at your trailer batteries with the truck shut off (should be ~12.5V) and then with your truck running (should be ~13.5-14.5V).
Old 04-11-2019, 10:45 PM   #77

THOR #14606
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Adrenalist,
You currently still in TX?
Yes sir! I’ve an appointment with RR mid-June for some much needed upgrades as we’ve previously discussed, and will be ready for WY after that. Will keep you updated as things progress. Can’t thank you enough for your help!
Old 04-12-2019, 02:14 AM   #78

THOR #3109
Heck of a deal--appt with best of DRV dealers and its right on the way north...

Did I see somewhere you are around San Antonio?
2017 F450 KR
Old 04-13-2019, 04:12 AM   #79

THOR #14606
Yes, sir! I feel extremely fortunate that they are willing to work on my unit. It is a blessing.

San Antone is my residence, yes. If you’re looking for some good food there, I can certainly point you in the right direction!
Old 04-13-2019, 04:23 AM   #80

THOR #3109
Will be at Travelers World tomorrow for a week....my direct email is
joedobry @ gmail.com
2017 F450 KR