Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2018, 03:49 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
New Batteries!!!

Gots me some new Interstate 6V's from Costco. Frig was not saying at 38 like normal after several hours of towing and the battery voltage was down to 11.5V. So at 4 years of age on no name batteries I figured it was time. I also straightened out the mess of wires so I can actually check my water level more easily.

My normal pic posting thread is not working and I have no idea how to use this one. I will try later.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
After you've had a chance to give the new batteries some exercise: please let us know how much of a difference in performance you see... Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:43 PM   #3

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
After you've had a chance to give the new batteries some exercise: please let us know how much of a difference in performance you see... Good luck!
I will be testing them out this coming week with a 5 hour trip in 80-90 weather. When they were good I took a 30+ hour trip non stop with a couple two hour naps and left engine running. Upon arrival the freezer was zero and the frig was 38 the same as shore power.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:28 PM   #4

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
Wow Cummins, shot batteries already?? Of course you full time. I’ve been “thinking” of of replacing ours but ours seem to still be doing ok. We’re going to be in the Phoenix area next March/April and I was considering getting a couple of Life Lines from Battery Boys in Phoenix. Let us know after your trip how the new batteries worked out.

Dan
Old 10-24-2018, 06:01 PM   #5

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Gots me some new Interstate 6V's from Costco. Frig was not saying at 38 like normal after several hours of towing and the battery voltage was down to 11.5V. So at 4 years of age on no name batteries I figured it was time. I also straightened out the mess of wires so I can actually check my water level more easily.

My normal pic posting thread is not working and I have no idea how to use this one. I will try later.
That sucks. Shocked that they went bad so early. When you are towing your batteries should be charging from the truck through the 7 pin connector. I placed a battery water maintainer system on my battery’s. Once a month it takes a minute or to to water the battery’s.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:15 PM   #6

THOR #1661
4 years is a lot for RV batteries to last especially with a no name model. I rarely had to add water and they never were too low.

Travel in 80-90 weather for 6 hours and let me know if your frig is staying cool.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:23 PM   #7

THOR #1658
Quote:
4 years is a lot for RV batteries to last especially with a no name model. I rarely had to add water and they never were too low.

Travel in 80-90 weather for 6 hours and let me know if your frig is staying cool.
I am usually unhooked for 4-6 hours when traveling. I travel in a wide range of temps. So far after 3 1/2 years of traveling the fridge has stayed at temps. Glad to hear that the new battery’s are keeping your fridge cold now on your travels.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #3109
Ron,
Surprised you did not opt for sealed batteries, either lead acid or AGMs....
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
I will be testing them out this coming week with a 5 hour trip in 80-90 weather. When they were good I took a 30+ hour trip non stop with a couple two hour naps and left engine running. Upon arrival the freezer was zero and the frig was 38 the same as shore power.
Good luck; I hope that they work perfectly for you!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #10

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Ron,
Surprised you did not opt for sealed batteries, either lead acid or AGMs....
I tried the Optima Red Tops a few years back on my 98 and they did not last for SH!T. Took back to Costco, they said no returns after so long I said lets talk to Mgr. He looked at my spending and credited me and i bought the regular Costco batteries that have a much better warranty and they lasted for many years.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #11

THOR #1661
Here is the before and after pics. I can easily check all three holes now without pushing wires to the side.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:59 AM   #12

THOR #3221
Thanks for posting the pics Ron. When I replace our batteries I'm going to angle for the sealed AGM's, I know they're PRICIER but I believe they'll give us decent performance and will last longer than the "no names".

I'm going to have to get me some of those post extenders, very smart Ron!

Dan
Old 10-26-2018, 04:20 AM   #13

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
Thanks for posting the pics Ron. When I replace our batteries I'm going to angle for the sealed AGM's, I know they're PRICIER but I believe they'll give us decent performance and will last longer than the "no names".

Dan
Interesting! Mine came from the factory that way. Maybe gen prep extra wires have something to do with it?
Old 10-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #14

THOR #1658
Quote:
Interesting! Mine came from the factory that way. Maybe gen prep extra wires have something to do with it?
Sounds about right to me.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:04 PM   #15

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:

Dan
I found these about a month after buying my wet cell 6 volt batteries from Costco. So...one of you guys hurry up and test them for us! LOL https://www.apexbattery.com/universa...gel-seale.html
Old 10-27-2018, 12:24 AM   #16

THOR #3221
That could be Ron, I have the gen prep package but I don't actually have an onboard generator. I'm going to get some of those extenders though, It's a PITA checking and adding water to my batteries.

Dan
Old 10-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #17

THOR #1661
Quote:
That could be Ron, I have the gen prep package but I don't actually have an onboard generator. I'm going to get some of those extenders though, It's a PITA checking and adding water to my batteries.

Dan

They seem to be of good quality. I was able to tighten them good n tight!
Old 10-27-2018, 01:35 PM   #18

State: Texas
THOR #11383
Quote:
Here is the before and after pics. I can easily check all three holes now without pushing wires to the side.

I see you left your battery strap off with the new set. My batteries are 3 years old and showing age primarily from being run down when stored, not knowing that 3 or 4 devices always drew power no matter what and where the power was turned off. I did do some cable moving, while adding battery switches also but the the straps made it difficult to move the tray in & out on the door side.
I reinstalled the strap back to front using a small non-metalic angle ( used some wood molding but have some fiber-glass for next change) across the gap between the batteries. Has worked good for the first 1400 miles.
Clay 2016 MS 38PS3
I have the battery post extenders from the factory
Old 10-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #19

THOR #1661
I tried to release the strap but it was corroded so I just cut it off. Do you have a pic of what you did with your new strap?

I suppose I should do something as there are some BAD spots along our Highways!!!
Old 10-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #20

Model: Memphis
THOR #2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
I found these about a month after buying my wet cell 6 volt batteries from Costco. So...one of you guys hurry up and test them for us! LOL https://www.apexbattery.com/universa...gel-seale.html
In our past rig, I ran 4 of the Costco 6v batteries. Never had a problem with them in 5 years. I had a Magnum inverter that had equalizing built into its charging profile. I should have kept them compared to the junk that DRV puts in new.