Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: Full House JX450
State: Arkansas
THOR #17747
New DRV and Brass Anderson Valve

Received our new JX450 just before Christmas and after bringing it back to the park where we full time, noticed a small drip under the water panel. Checked it out and found more than half of the plastic fittings that screw on to the 3 way water heater valve and 4 way water valve were fairly loose. The valves are all brass but the hose fittings are plastic. Tightened every fitting back there by hand as tight as I can manage. Pulled some of the insulation up and put a fan in there to dry things out. Two were still found leaking the next day. After more investigation it looks like the plastic fittings bottom out on the brass valve before the seals are adequately compressed. I have a pair of 6” (small) channel locks and tightened the fittings a little more over the next few days and stopped the leaks but now I worry that the plastic fittings may decide to crack at some future time. Checking here to see if others have seen the same issue. I’m thinking it would be nice to find a PEX hose fitting (hopefully brass) that is more compatible with the brass valves. If I find such a fitting, I would replace them all.

Old 01-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #2

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
I highly advise you go thru the entire RV and tighten every water connection including the toilet!!!
Old 01-06-2020, 05:09 PM   #3

THOR #17747
Good idea, thanks for the tip.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #4

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Right after moving into our DRV there was water all over the floor. Cause was the tech cross threaded the toilet supply. It was barely threaded on.

Also tighten all "P" trap fittings.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:04 PM   #5

State: California
THOR #17752
We recently brought home a new 2020 36RSSB3, I had several leaks to contend with, including behind the water panel.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:30 AM   #6

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Sounds like they need to hide there Bon Bons to make them look at items that should be PDIed. It is CRAZY that after 2, two, yup I said 2, two PDIs. One from the factory and the other at the dealer that so much crap is undetected and gets delivered to the owner. Especially since it seems to be the same failures that a lot of people are having. Lucky for them, all RVs are this way. If this was a car manufacture, they would be out of business. Still just blows my mind that this has gone on for this long.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:35 AM   #7

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Right after moving into our DRV there was water all over the floor. Cause was the tech cross threaded the toilet supply. It was barely threaded on.

Also tighten all "P" trap fittings.
I have done that several times. About every 9 months I checked, until I took some Gorilla tape and taped up like a compression configuration. Everything has been staying tight this way for all most two years now.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:32 AM   #8

THOR #17747
New DRV and Brass Anderson Valve

I finally made time to fix my issue. The fix was to install Sharkbite fittings model UP532Z5. The threaded nut on the fitting is shorter allowing the seal to be properly compressed. See the pictures below. First picture shows how it came from the factory with the female plastic fitting bottomed out against the threaded brass valve. Look at the fitting on the bottom of the picture.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2637.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	22132
Second pic showing new plastic Sharkbite fitting tightened but not bottomed against brass.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2638.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	22133
Old 01-13-2020, 06:30 AM   #9

THOR #17807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywrench View Post
Received our new JX450 just before Christmas and after bringing it back to the park where we full time, noticed a small drip under the water panel. Checked it out and found more than half of the plastic fittings that screw on to the 3 way water heater valve and 4 way water valve were fairly loose. The valves are all brass but the hose fittings are plastic. Tightened every fitting back there by hand as tight as I can manage. Pulled some of the insulation up and put a fan in there to dry things out. Two were still found leaking the next day. After more investigation it looks like the plastic fittings bottom out on the brass valve before the seals are adequately compressed. I have a pair of 6” (small) channel locks and tightened the fittings a little more over the next few days and stopped the leaks but now I worry that the plastic fittings may decide to crack at some future time. Checking here to see if others have seen the same issue. I’m thinking it would be nice to find a PEX hose fitting (hopefully brass) that is more compatible with the brass valves. If I find such a fitting, I would replace them all.
Replacing problematic plastic 90 degree pex connectors with brass fittings (the ones from Amazon) works great. If the plastic ones continue to drip after being tightened or if you can cause it to drip by pressing sideways on the stem, consider an upgrade to a brass fitting.

-Steve
Old 01-22-2020, 06:05 PM   #10

Model: JX450
State: South Carolina
THOR #16453
We took delivery of our 2020 JX450 in late September, guess water leaks were the standing order. Had three of them, including the brass valve, washer and the discharge of the water pumps. I ended up replacing some of the insulation in the under belly because of the brass valve leak.

2019 Ford F450
2020 DRV JX450 Ordered June 8, delivery end of September 2019
mmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:39 PM   #11

Model: 41RSSB4
THOR #5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywrench View Post
I finally made time to fix my issue. The fix was to install Sharkbite fittings model UP532Z5. The threaded nut on the fitting is shorter allowing the seal to be properly compressed. See the pictures below. First picture shows how it came from the factory with the female plastic fitting bottomed out against the threaded brass valve. Look at the fitting on the bottom of the picture.
Attachment 22132
Second pic showing new plastic Sharkbite fitting tightened but not bottomed against brass.Attachment 22133
The fittings in the two pics look the same to me.
2011 F350 Dually 6.7 PSD
Fulltimer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:43 AM   #12

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer50 View Post
The fittings in the two pics look the same to me.
Look closely at the bottom one on the 4 way valve. One elbo is white and the other is black. I would think that this is the fitting that he replaced.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:27 PM   #13

State: Texas
THOR #9543
For you new owners, in addition to water fittings, I recommend going through the coach, from front to rear, checking all connections. I've found loose water, hydraulics, electrical, and basic fit and trip.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:33 AM   #14

THOR #17752
Yes, we picked up our 2020 36RSSB3 in November. We had a leak under the bathroom sink, hose fittings were not tight. We also had leaks at the Kantleak panel, same as OP, the plastic fittings were less than finger tight.At least it's just stupid minor stuff.