Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2017, 03:46 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Maryland
THOR #4040
New Front Levelers - who rebuilds them?????

Well it looks like my front levelers have given up the ghost and now I need to replace them.
Since Lippert only warranties for 1 year -- no luck there

There was a company at the RALLY who specializes at REBUILDING the levelers. Does anyone remember who they are???

I certainly want something better than what has been on the trailer so far.

Short story -- front levelers were leaking down while going down the road. Took the trailer to RVs For Less for some other work -- while it was there -- over the weekend the front levelers leaked down to the ground.

Any help would be appreciated.

Don
Maryland

DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:45 PM   #2

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
I am sure others will reply but you should be contacting Lippert as they have replaced many after one year.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:24 PM   #3

THOR #4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I am sure others will reply but you should be contacting Lippert as they have replaced many after one year.
I contacted customer service, where John Northam is located. He was not there, of course, but I was told the warranty was 1 year and that I would have to purchase new ones (I would probably go to Roberts RV - for rebuilt ones).

I just sent an email to customer service, ATTN: Josh Northam, so lets see what happens.

Thanks

Don
Old 12-04-2017, 08:22 PM   #4

State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
I'm not sure what's going on here, Lippert (Josh) stepped up to the plate and replaced our front jacks N/C earlier this year. We were way out of warranty but I was told by a couple of other DRV owners that didn't matter. At that time I was actually on my way to Roberts RV for the re-build but cancelled after speaking with Josh and confirming our jacks would be replaced and at NO CHARGE to me!

I wonder what's happening, Josh just needed some info on our unit and he scheduled us into the shop for the replacement work. It was just that easy.

I wish you the best of luck with your issues and with Josh, hopefully you get satisfactory results.

Dan
Old 12-04-2017, 10:43 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #3109
RVs4Less won't help, or can't fix?

I believe I read where if the front legs are cycled several time WITHOUT putting weight on them, it will lessen the tendency for them to drift down.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:37 AM   #6

THOR #3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
RVs4Less won't help, or can't fix?

I believe I read where if the front legs are cycled several time WITHOUT putting weight on them, it will lessen the tendency for them to drift down.
You are correct Joe. When talking to Bob from Roberts RV Repair he told me to do exactly that. Get the truck under the trailer and latched to the fifth wheel hitch. Then bring the front jacks all the way up, then down till they just barely touch the ground, NOT putting a lot down force on them then cycling than all the way up again. Repeating this at least two times, preferably three times. That will "sometimes" re-seat the internal seals on those jacks. Bob told me "if" the seals aren't too badly worn you'll have some luck with keeping the jacks from drifting down. This is only temporary though and repair/replace will be inevitable.

Dan
Old 12-05-2017, 01:35 AM   #7

Model: Memphis
THOR #2341
If you have the old style front legs, Lippert will replace them. If you have the new, then this is an issue.....
Old 12-05-2017, 05:02 AM   #8

Model: 36rssb
THOR #3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
If you have the old style front legs, Lippert will replace them. If you have the new, then this is an issue.....
That is strange?I was kicking drv tires at rv's forless last year and they were working on a pair of landing legs that were leaking.That was a used unit they were selling.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #9

THOR #4040
Lippert will not step up and replace levelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post

I have called Lippert twice and tried to talk to Josh Northam. No luck. Lippert is standing firm on their 1 year warranty. After that no deal -- will not replace.
If anyone knows anything different I sure would be glad to hear it.

Don
Old 12-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #3109
Sounds like the bean counters slapped someones' hands....
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #11

THOR #3221
You may be onto something there Joe, I wonder if the number of claims was way more than Lippert anticipated. It shouldn't matter though IF their product or components are flawed they should stand behind them.

Dan
Old 12-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #12

Model: 39DBRS3
State: Arizona
THOR #5464
Don, which front legs do you have, the small diameter ones or the ones with the large metal sleeve over the ram? I think if I have trouble with our I'm going to call Big Foot and ask if their ram is compatible with the Lippert system and can I purchase a pair of their large front cylinders. We had the Big Foot system for years and never had a problem. Thanks Dick
Old 12-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #13

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobi, Dick and Ruby McKee View Post
Don, which front legs do you have, the small diameter ones or the ones with the large metal sleeve over the ram? I think if I have trouble with our I'm going to call Big Foot and ask if their ram is compatible with the Lippert system and can I purchase a pair of their large front cylinders. We had the Big Foot system for years and never had a problem. Thanks Dick
If you are near Indiana I would have Roberts rebuild what you have with quality components.

Sucks Lippert has tightened the belt!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #14

THOR #4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
If you are near Indiana I would have Roberts rebuild what you have with quality components.

Sucks Lippert has tightened the belt!

We have the levelers with the big tube over the ram.

We are going to take one last shot at Lippert. Our dealer RV's For Less is going to speak with DRV and see if they can convince Lippert to step up.

If not, then we will get back to Roberts and see what they can do.

Don
Old 12-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #15

THOR #3221
I'm really surprised Lippert is giving you the run-around. They've had a ton of these front jacks go bad, why they're not standing behind them is a real mystery!

When I spoke with Bob at Roberts RV this last April he told me he's been REALLY busy replacing/repairing these jacks! He also mentioned that he had been in contact with Lippert to order replacement cylinders when the ones he was working on were too far gone for repair! As a matter of fact Bob told me he keeps a small inventory of new cylinders in his shop so as to not drag the repair job out for too long should the jacks he's working on be too far gone.... and he's seen his share of that too.

When I talked to the techs at Lippert when we were in there for the replacement they said they too were very busy replacing front jacks on DRVs. Lippert knows there's a (huge) problem with these front jacks.

Good Luck!!!!!!

Dan
Old 12-07-2017, 08:58 PM   #16

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Here is an interesting angle, have you filled a claim with NITSA? As it is a danger as they might lower when traveling, so I have read. So this way they would be forced to recall them and fix or replace them all.
Just an idea...
Old 12-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #17

THOR #5464
Does any one have a phone # for Roberts? Thanks in Advance, Dick
Old 12-08-2017, 05:57 PM   #18

THOR #3221
Roberts RV Repair: 812-655-2583.

This time year I can’t imagine he’s too busy. BTW you can’t stay in his lot overnight. His insurance doesn’t allow it.

Good luck

Dan
Old 12-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #19

THOR #5464
Thanks Dan. I'm not having trouble with my system (knock on wood) but I want to talk to him and if the problem has just been bad seals, I want to order 2 sets so if we have trouble on the road I won't hear "I can do the work, but I'll have to order the seal and that takes a week."
Old 12-08-2017, 11:29 PM   #20

THOR #3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobi, Dick and Ruby McKee View Post
Thanks Dan. I'm not having trouble with my system (knock on wood) but I want to talk to him and if the problem has just been bad seals, I want to order 2 sets so if we have trouble on the road I won't hear "I can do the work, but I'll have to order the seal and that takes a week."
No problem, I believe Bob has a whole lot of replacement seals on hand. The "trouble" is it's a huge job dropping the cylinders out from under the trailer as that's the only way they come out. Removing them from your trailer, then tearing them down and checking for true, honing, re-installing new seals and then putting the cylinders back into your unit. According to Bob that's an ALL day job! LOL

When I talked to Bob in April, he explained how on occasion the pistons are so badly scored he has NO choice but to replace the entire cylinder. When that happens he tries hard to have an "assortment" of new jacks so the job goes quickly.

What I got out of our conversation was it's a pretty involved job from start to finish. In April he quoted me around $1200 to pull out and re-build my cylinders, could be more if the cylinders need to actually be replaced.

Bob's an interesting guy to talk to, you'll enjoy your conversation with him.

Dan