Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2017, 01:26 AM   #21
MnP

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #2069
I had my rigs front levelers done at Robert's in May of this year. The total bill came to $1522 out the door. It took him and a helper about 7 hours to accomplish the job. I've had no issues since then (knock on wood). This isn't a job for just anyone to do as it's a bugger to get the rams out. Bob has pit that he sets the rig over so that he can drop the rams out of the bottom of the coach.

MnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:37 AM   #22

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Mike=your experience matches ours. Bob knows what he is doing, is fast and reasonable on his pricing. And him, his wife and employees are genuinely nice people.

Bill
Old 12-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #23

Model: 39DBRS3
State: Arizona
THOR #5464
I had a long talk with Bob at Roberts RV this morning. What a nice guy. He said he is approaching 200 units he has worked on. Folks are coming down with brand new units and having the rams rebuilt. We were planning on heading to Amish country in Pennsylvania this summer, so we will schedule a stop at Roberts.

My question has any of you replaced your front rams with the 8000# rams? I thought I read on this site that someone had made the change. Although they would be overkill their ram is almost 3x the diameter of the skinny ones hidden under the aluminum cover on the current system. Bob said he has never done it and would check if it possible if I decide to make the change. Thanks in Advance, Dick
Old 12-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #24

Model: ES 38RSSA
THOR #5034
You may want to double check the specified components specs.
Bare in mind that the current 14K jacks do not mount in the same fashion to the frame members as the older 12K longer ones. This requires the retrofit of the mounting brackets (AA) * diagram to be welded to the frame in the storage area of the coach. The retrofitted hydraulic lines have a slightly different configuration also.
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...Component_.pdf
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #25

THOR #5464
I spec'd the incorrect rams. The ones I am referring to are 22000# high mount that look exactly like the current ones, with just a bigger ram. Won't know if it will work till Bob gets the actual specs and dimensions.
https://store.lci1.com/22k-jack-assembly
Old 12-09-2017, 10:19 PM   #26

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobi, Dick and Ruby McKee View Post
I had a long talk with Bob at Roberts RV this morning. What a nice guy. He said he is approaching 200 units he has worked on. Folks are coming down with brand new units and having the rams rebuilt. We were planning on heading to Amish country in Pennsylvania this summer, so we will schedule a stop at Roberts.

My question has any of you replaced your front rams with the 8000# rams? I thought I read on this site that someone had made the change. Although they would be overkill their ram is almost 3x the diameter of the skinny ones hidden under the aluminum cover on the current system. Bob said he has never done it and would check if it possible if I decide to make the change. Thanks in Advance, Dick
WOW, if they were dropping while driving they should file a claim with NITSA. Even though it has been repaired, they should get reimbursed. At least that is how other recalls have been handled.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:40 AM   #27

THOR #5034
Understandable, Just noting that the jacks you posted are spec’d for a Freightliner DP chassis, perhaps requiring the 22K. My understanding is the older jacks had more of an issue with inferior main seal(s) that can be affected by the rams linear deflection. Not a rupture of the seal due to the cylinders weight bearing capacity. The ones removed were perhaps 40+ inches in length overall. Attached Thumbnails
Old 12-10-2017, 06:10 AM   #28

THOR #5034
Hmm, not sure what happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DRV14_ConDetails_02.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	8168  
Old 12-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #29

THOR #5464
JJ, my thought process was that because of the much larger diameter of the ram there would be less deflection hopefully reducing the flex and stress on the seals. I would have Bob replace the seals on the new units also.

I must add that I have yet to run into anyone on the road who has had problems with the stock levers. I am also amazed to watch how some folks slam into their hitch which must put tremendous flex and stress on the ram and seals.

We're still in the thinking process and will talk to Bob again before we make the decision. He did say he has had none of his repaired rams return, so maybe the larger rams are just spending $1300 we don't need to. Dick
Old 12-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #30

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
" I am also amazed to watch how some folks slam into their hitch"

It's from watching the big boys do that with their semi's.

Personally I would have your rams rebuilt and start using boxes like I built, they will take out a lot of movement!

Old 12-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Unless you forget to drop the tailgate
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05785_pc.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	8174
(Fortunately it was only the tailgate that got damaged. I was able to drop it off to get repaired and drive the truck around w/o one until it was finished. That was a few years ago with our 5er.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #32

Model: 38RSSA
State: Maryland
THOR #4040
Just filed a complaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Here is an interesting angle, have you filled a claim with NITSA? As it is a danger as they might lower when traveling, so I have read. So this way they would be forced to recall them and fix or replace them all.
Just an idea...

I just filed a complaint. Lets see what happens. They were lowering while going down the road.

I let everyone know.

Don
DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #33

State: Texas
THOR #3109
Don,
Have a link to the correct place to file a concern?
Thanks,
Joe
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #34

Model: 38RSSA
State: Maryland
THOR #4040
NHTSA Complaint link

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Don,
Have a link to the correct place to file a concern?
Thanks,
Joe

Joe,

The link is www.https://www.nhtsa.gov/

Then click on the box --- report a problem.

Anyone with leveler problems should jump on board.

Below is what I got back after I filed my complaint.

Don
-------------------------------------------------------------

This email is to confirm we received your vehicle complaint submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Thank you for this public service as it is through actions like yours that together we can save lives on America's roadways.
Your tracking number assigned by NHTSA for this issue is ---------. Please keep this number for your records and for future reference. Once your complaint has been processed, you will be able to view it online and find any related documents. Please allow two business days for NHTSA to review your complaint.
What happens next?
Your complaint will be reviewed by NHTSA technical staff and entered into our database. If any additional information is needed, a NHTSA investigator will contact you.
Every complaint is taken seriously, reviewed in detail and analyzed for defects trends. Your complaint is important because it helps to inform NHTSA, other vehicle owners and manufacturers about potential safety concerns. Such information helps save lives, and we encourage you to share the resources available at www.SaferCar.gov with your family, friends and others in your community.
Will my vehicle be recalled?
When a manufacturer or NHTSA determines that a car or item of motor vehicle equipment creates an unreasonable risk to safety or fails to meet minimum safety standards, the manufacturer is required to fix that car or equipment. That can be done by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund (for equipment) or, in rare cases, repurchasing the car.
If your vehicle is included in a recall, the manufacturer will contact you. Sign up to receive recall email alerts from NHTSA if there's ever a recall involving your vehicle.
If you have any other questions regarding your complaint, please contact NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation:
  • Phone: 888-327-4236, Monday-Friday, 8:00AM to 8:00PM EST(Spanish-speaking representatives available)
    TTY: 888-424-9153
    (Please have your ODI number referenced above available.)
  • Email: https://www.nhtsa.gov/about-nhtsa/contact-us
    (Please indicate your ODI Number referenced above in the contact form.)
Thank you for contacting us and playing a critical role in helping to keep our roads safe.
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL, IT HAS BEEN AUTO-GENERATED.
DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:36 PM   #35

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonandPatti View Post
I just filed a complaint. Lets see what happens. They were lowering while going down the road.

I let everyone know.

Don
That is great Don! Now we need everyone who has or has had the same issue to file a complaint. I’m not sure how many it takes to force a recall. I’m not sure if it is a certain amount or based on a percentage until NITSA takes action.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:59 AM   #36

Model: 38RSB3
State: Michigan
THOR #5512
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
Roberts RV Repair: 812-655-2583.

This time year I can’t imagine he’s too busy. BTW you can’t stay in his lot overnight. His insurance doesn’t allow it.

Good luck

Dan
This is new. He rebuilt my side jacks in January a few years ago and was able to stay in the rig. Too bad, was a great plus.

I highly recommend Roberts.

m
Old 12-13-2017, 06:19 AM   #37

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonandPatti View Post
Joe,

The link is www.https://www.nhtsa.gov/

Then click on the box --- report a problem.

Anyone with leveler problems should jump on board.

Below is what I got back after I filed my complaint.

Don
-------------------------------------------------------------

This email is to confirm we received your vehicle complaint submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Thank you for this public service as it is through actions like yours that together we can save lives on America's roadways.
Your tracking number assigned by NHTSA for this issue is ---------. Please keep this number for your records and for future reference. Once your complaint has been processed, you will be able to view it online and find any related documents. Please allow two business days for NHTSA to review your complaint.
What happens next?
Your complaint will be reviewed by NHTSA technical staff and entered into our database. If any additional information is needed, a NHTSA investigator will contact you.
Every complaint is taken seriously, reviewed in detail and analyzed for defects trends. Your complaint is important because it helps to inform NHTSA, other vehicle owners and manufacturers about potential safety concerns. Such information helps save lives, and we encourage you to share the resources available at www.SaferCar.gov with your family, friends and others in your community.
Will my vehicle be recalled?
When a manufacturer or NHTSA determines that a car or item of motor vehicle equipment creates an unreasonable risk to safety or fails to meet minimum safety standards, the manufacturer is required to fix that car or equipment. That can be done by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund (for equipment) or, in rare cases, repurchasing the car.
If your vehicle is included in a recall, the manufacturer will contact you. Sign up to receive recall email alerts from NHTSA if there's ever a recall involving your vehicle.
If you have any other questions regarding your complaint, please contact NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation:
  • Phone: 888-327-4236, Monday-Friday, 8:00AM to 8:00PM EST(Spanish-speaking representatives available)
    TTY: 888-424-9153
    (Please have your ODI number referenced above available.)
  • Email: https://www.nhtsa.gov/about-nhtsa/contact-us
    (Please indicate your ODI Number referenced above in the contact form.)
Thank you for contacting us and playing a critical role in helping to keep our roads safe.
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL, IT HAS BEEN AUTO-GENERATED.
You should start a thread with this information. I would start it with if you have this problem please file a claim.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #38

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Kinda glad I don’t have hydraulic leveling on my RV.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:22 PM   #39

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Had hydraulic on my former DP, and in eleven years never had a problem with them. I had an after market HWH system installed on the Gemini, also hydraulic, though they are still pretty new, so far so good. On the HWH system, they are held in the retracted position both hydraulically and with springs, so an accidental deploy while on the road is not nearly as likely.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:19 PM   #40

Model: 38RSB3
THOR #3539
We finished out appointment with Lippert today to get the front jacks replaced. Josh Northam worked with us to get an appointment for 12/13 and they finished at ~11 AM today. They replaced the front jacks and made necessary modifications to accommodate the new jacks. Very professionally done and at no cost to us. The only thing I can think of that is different from DonandPatti's case is that we had an open case from earlier this year. I called LCI Customer Support early last Summer to report the issues of drifting down jacks. At that time they offered to send me replacement jacks for me to install. I chose to forego that option. Then early this month the front started settling. I was able to get the truck under the trailer and get it hitched before it went all of the way to the ground. I called Josh and talked to him, gave him the case number that was assigned from my earlier contact with LCI. He scheduled an appointment and we drove up to Goshen where they took great care of us.

I think you need to talk to Josh. When you call, do not go to Customer Support, use the directory and spell out Northam. It took a couple of times to get through to him but it was worth it.
Lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote