Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #41

Brand: DRV
Model: Dallas
State: Wisconsin
THOR #2170
Been lookin at DRV for 4 years, everything else paled. Finally got ours......sold the house and our new "home" is "Suite!"Attachment 1031

Old 11-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #42

Model: 41RSSB4
State: Wyoming
THOR #2094
Dang that is a long, beautiful trailer. Congrats!!!!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #43

Model: Mobile Suite 36RSSB3
State: Tennessee
THOR #1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by classichammond View Post
Been lookin at DRV for 4 years, everything else paled. Finally got ours......sold the house and our new "home" is "Suite!"Attachment 1031
Sweet! Is that a Chevy you're pulling that with?
Old 11-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #44

Model: TK3
State: Georgia
THOR #3124
Nice looking rig! Huge!
Old 11-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #45

THOR #2170
Chevy Duramax/Allison.......almost 10mpg pulling. Yeah it's long but when spending most of the time rollin it doesn't matter if it's 30' or 43' behind you. But there's a learning curve when it comes to tracking in and the rear swinging out.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #46

THOR #1668
I don't think there are too many Chevy owners here. Seems to be Dodge & Ford. I have a 2011 3500 HD like yours.Currently just over 14k miles. Great truck!
Old 11-08-2015, 12:15 AM   #47

Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tneagle View Post
I don't think there are too many Chevy owners here. Seems to be Dodge & Ford. I have a 2011 3500 HD like yours.Currently just over 14k miles. Great truck!
There are a few of us with little bitty trucks on here.......
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:56 AM   #48

THOR #2170
Mom said nothing bigger than a pick-up or I'd have an M-2
Old 11-16-2015, 05:46 AM   #49

Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
And then I have to show up with an ancient photo. This photo was taken on our pick-up date in May of 2010.

Our first location in our new "home." This is a mobile home park in Oklahoma City, where we moved to in April of 2011.

Last, but not least, our current location at Mountaindale Cabins and RV Resort near Colorado Springs. Incidentally, down to -6 degrees last Winter, when this photo was taken, but we stayed very comfortable. We aren't even skirted.

Ready for our second Winter here. Might even be a third next Winter.

Terry
Old 01-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #50

Model: PS3 Elite
State: Minnesota
THOR #3564
New DRV Owner

Just joined this forum. My wife and I bought a 2016 ES PS3 last June. The fiver has had some issues but but they have been magnified by the dealer taking 3 or 4 visits to repair anything. If the discrepancies were fixed correctly the first time I would be tickled with the experience.

That said, the rig sure is sweet and solid. I can understand the MDTs being utilized...it is a heavy camper since it is loaded including a generator, invertor, and four batteries but seems to tow pretty nicely with my F-350. Of course I haven't been at the top of a tall peak with miles to descend yet. If any one has some words of advice on how to approach that with a 2014 F-350 DRW, I am all ears. I suspect some folks will advise me to disconnect at the peak and drive down empty!

Seriously though, folks that have done the long steep downgrades with my set-up have to have a good story or words of wisdom to share!Attachment 1350
Old 01-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #51

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostRetired View Post
Just joined this forum. My wife and I bought a 2016 ES PS3 last June. The fiver has had some issues but but they have been magnified by the dealer taking 3 or 4 visits to repair anything. If the discrepancies were fixed correctly the first time I would be tickled with the experience.

That said, the rig sure is sweet and solid. I can understand the MDTs being utilized...it is a heavy camper since it is loaded including a generator, invertor, and four batteries but seems to tow pretty nicely with my F-350. Of course I haven't been at the top of a tall peak with miles to descend yet. If any one has some words of advice on how to approach that with a 2014 F-350 DRW, I am all ears. I suspect some folks will advise me to disconnect at the peak and drive down empty!

Seriously though, folks that have done the long steep downgrades with my set-up have to have a good story or words of wisdom to share!Attachment 1350
Welcome aboard!

Whatever gear you would come up the grade you are going to descend lock your trans in that gear and always have your TH and EB turned on. I run my cruise control while doing so.

Experiment.

Also fill in your visible signature it will help with future questions.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #52

THOR #2170
Although I haven't driven down anything too steep and too long the trailer brakes feel pretty secure. Wouldn't want them to fail. That's the only reason I'd go to a mid-duty. You have to go to a large M-2 to get the horsepower I have. And as I previously posted, my better half will have nothing to do with a larger truck. Just remain cautious and alert. Hit the top of the hill SLOW, and take your time. You'll be "crawling" up the hill behind the trucks, let them crawl down. When I have the cruise and EB on she downshifts sweetly, all by itself. When I had a 12K trailer coming out of the Blue Ridge, heading south, I used the brakes only 2 or 3 times, and only lightly. My Dallas is over 20K.....it will be interesting when I drive that route again with the Dallas. I swung east than down through DC last fall. It was Cake.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #53

State: Texas
THOR #3440
We have been off several long steep mountains in the last 20 years of RV'g with many different trailers behind many different trucks. The best we have had so far is the 2015 Dallas and 2011 F-450 we presently have. I know the MDT's are a much better choice but I still like the convenience of the smaller truck with 4 wheel drive when sightseeing and also for navigating in tight areas in town. The third axle on the Dallas is an improvement over the previous 2009 38' ES we had. Also the disc brakes on the Suites is the greatest thing since sliced bread. One thing you can do to help with your safety descending grades with a setup like we have is to know the mountain you are about tackle. We use the Mountain Directory sold a Camping World to know the layout of the mountain including % grade, length of grade, curves, runaway truck ramps and such. I also use the rule as stated by Cummins12V98 above of using the same gear for descending as ascending. We have never smoked the brakes since we have had trailers with Disc brakes but with regular electric brakes, we have. We have not been in a situation yet where we couldn't stop if we had to with our present rig.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #54

THOR #3564
Thank you both for the feedback. If I understand correctly, if I'm in third gear ascending the peak I should manually put the selector in third gear on the way down with Tow/Haul engaged and let the engine do the work? Is there much chance of over revving or does exhaust brake really work that well?
2013 HD Ultra Limited
AlmostRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #55

THOR #3564
Thanks, Hardinkr. Your reply posted while I was typing my own response. I feel better already with the feedback from all of you.
Thanks again...
2013 HD Ultra Limited
AlmostRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #56

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostRetired View Post
Thank you both for the feedback. If I understand correctly, if I'm in third gear ascending the peak I should manually put the selector in third gear on the way down with Tow/Haul engaged and let the engine do the work? Is there much chance of over revving or does exhaust brake really work that well?
All it takes is just a touch of the brakes to slow down if the speed creeps up. You want the RPM's to be high with the EB on going down a grade it has more holding power that way.

Like I said experiment!

Also if using cruise towing and you see a grade coming up that will cause you to down shift drop a gear manually instead of waiting for the computer to figure out it needs to drop a gear. You will loose less speed and use less fuel doing so. it also gives you something to do while driving.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:38 AM   #57

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Welcome aboard!

Whatever gear you would come up the grade you are going to descend lock your trans in that gear and always have your TH and EB turned on. I run my cruise control while doing so.

Experiment.

Also fill in your visible signature it will help with future questions.
He has a Ford not a new Ram. I think our trucks have a MUCH stronger EB.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #58

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
He has a Ford not a new Ram. I think our trucks have a MUCH stronger EB.
I think so also but I hear the 15 and newer Fords had a big improvement to the EB.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #59

THOR #1668
If it was a Chevy there wouldn't be any concern.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:50 AM   #60

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tneagle View Post
If it was a Chevy there wouldn't be any concern.
I was between a Ram and GMC when it came to the tv. But what more needs to be said but CUMMINS and Asian Combo. And the Ram DRW is the sexiest looking of all of the DRWs. But the best tv has been in debate since these trucks had been conceived. I drove a Nissan Altima for 15 years before so I did not drink anyone's Koolaid.