Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Maryland
THOR #4040
Portable Satellite Dish -- Where do I hook it up?

We have a 2016 MS 38RSSA. I have a Winegard Carryout portable dish that I will be (attempting) to hook up this weekend. Looks like I hook up the dish coax to the outside satellite connection that is located where the LevelUp panel is.
Where are the connections for the receiver. It appears they are in the cabinet above the main TV.

Any help would be appreciated.

Don

DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:10 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
There are two ways to do this. The simplest for your weekend trip is to run the coax into the RV and plug it into your Satellite Tuner. Then run an HDMI cable from the tuner to your TV.

The other way requires you to do some rewiring. You will need to install an A-B switch on the white coax behind the antenna amplifier. The input is the white coax that is connected to your coax connector on the side of your coach. The two outputs go to either the amplifier or the Satellite Tuner.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #3

THOR #4040
Just got a response back from DRV.

Yes, you will have an RG6 labeled "outside" in the living room cabinet, and 1 located behind the bedroom TV.

This helps alot.

Don
Old 04-15-2016, 02:06 AM   #4

Model: 36RSSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #2116
Don, we swap between our rooftop antenna and a portable antenna (a Carryout normally set for Dish eastern arc satellites). I untied all those cables in our entertainment cabinet, left the two cables we routinely use loose, and retied the remaining cables back into a bundle. I then put quick disconnects on each of the two loose cables and just change them at the receiver as I need to (though I often forget to do a "switch check" to tell the box which antenna we're using.) I was at RVs for Less on Tuesday and the cable bundles in the new DRVs look just like the one in our 2011 with similar labels, so you may want to consider doing the same. You can go with gbrown's suggestion and use an A-B switch to accomplish the same thing.

To help confuse you, we needed to run an HDMI cable from the satellite receiver to our Sony Control Center & that was a little more interesting. (Our trailer was delivered with a HDMI cable running from the Sony Control Center to the TV.) If what I saw at RVs for Less is what I think it is, I think you have something similar (though not as many "boxes") and may only need to run an HDMI cable to the Control Center just as we had to.

Lastly, our trailer owner's manual has a picture of the back of the Sony Control Center to help local where cables would attach or plug-in. See if you have something similar in your owner's manual. We found it very useful when initially hooking up the satellite receiver.

Good luck! David
davydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:54 PM   #5

THOR #4040
Got it. Works great. Now I just need to figure out how to hook up the dish to the outside TV.

Don