Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2016, 12:15 AM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by frscherock@gmail.com View Post
I may appear dense. I am. It would appear that you did not use the optional internal mounting kit. Am I f0llowing you properly that the wires (feeder) that go into the top of the junction box are removed and a male cord cap is installed and that you install a female cord cop on the reel wire.. Plug the new feeder wire male into the open plug on the transformer and the female cordreel plug into the preinstalled male plug on the transformer. Ground wire remains where it is? It would appear that the only parts I need are a 50 amp male and a 50 amp female cord cap

FS
I don't know anything about an optional mounting kit. My AutoFormer came with a cord that had a moulded end that I cut shorter. The back side has a built in female connector.

You have me questioning my self. The junction box I removed I don't remember if it had a ground connection to the frame. Could someone take a pic of their junction box with the cover removed to show the inside wiring please???

Old 06-11-2016, 12:19 AM   #22

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
50 amp male and 50 amp female connections are how I plan on doing it.

Thank for all the pictures Cummins. Very helpful.
You are welcome!!!

I don't know what my voltage would be right now if I did not have the AF but I have 3 AC's going full blast right now and my voltage is 119 on each leg.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:09 AM   #23

State: Alabama
THOR #3543
Going to try to send a pix of the junction box. Go to Tweety's.com and look for the Hughes Autoformer and the optional installation kit. You will see what I am talking about. Ground from the Wire you talk about and the reel is solid copper and grounded to the frame

FS
Old 06-11-2016, 01:17 AM   #24

THOR #3543
not sure if pix went. trying again
Old 06-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #25

THOR #1661
Quote:
Going to try to send a pix of the junction box. Go to Tweety's.com and look for the Hughes Autoformer and the optional installation kit. You will see what I am talking about. Ground from the Wire you talk about and the reel is solid copper and grounded to the frame

FS
I looked at the kit. Not sure what the advantage is over what I did with 3 cord caps?

No pic yet.

Inside the junction box was the ground attached inside and in turn to the frame? If so I will look at the side of the cord reel to see if I can connect a ground and bring it out and connect to the frame. It's been a year since I did the mod so I just can't remember.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #26

THOR #3543
Yes attached to frame. Cannot figure out how to post the picture. I have it and email but tried twice to send via forum and failed. It appears that the two ground wires in the junction bax are fastened together by a wire nut and from the nut a wire is attached to the frame.

FS
Old 06-11-2016, 03:24 PM   #27

THOR #3543
Gpong to try again on the picture of junction box
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1825.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	2216  
Old 06-11-2016, 11:18 PM   #28

THOR #1661
Quote:
Gpong to try again on the picture of junction box

Thank you for the pic!!! I will have to pull out my AF and see if I did something for a frame ground. I can't imagine not doing so. If I did not I sure will.

If I did not I think I should be able to come back out of the 50A cord cap that is behind the AF and attach to the frame to the right.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #29

THOR #3543
In the picture you can see that the ground wires are stripped and solid. I should think you can run a solid wire side by side with the ground in the plug and then out the bottom and then to the frame. Let me know how it works.

FS
Old 06-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #30

THOR #1661
Quote:
In the picture you can see that the ground wires are stripped and solid. I should think you can run a solid wire side by side with the ground in the plug and then out the bottom and then to the frame. Let me know how it works.

FS
Yes that should work if I did not do something to ground the frame.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #31

THOR #3543
Reformer installed. I do have a space proablem. The female plug on the reformer is installed with the ground facing to the rear of the trailer opposite of the way yours appears.

Forced to really bend the wire to face the exact opposite of what would be natural. Could solve problem by laying reformer on its side but would have to remove cord reel to accomplish that.

FS
Old 06-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #32

THOR #1661
Quote:
Reformer installed. I do have a space proablem. The female plug on the reformer is installed with the ground facing to the rear of the trailer opposite of the way yours appears.

Forced to really bend the wire to face the exact opposite of what would be natural. Could solve problem by laying reformer on its side but would have to remove cord reel to accomplish that.

FS
I am confused. I looked at several Hughes Autoformers they all that the female receptacle on the back or opposite side as the male cord and indicator light.

Pics?
Old 06-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #33

THOR #3543
Correct. What I was referring to is the female recetical is installed in the autoformer with opposite of yours. ie the ground on the receptical faces the rear of the trailer yours appears to face front. Facing rear causes me to have to really twist the plug around severly to fit.

Solved the problem using a 50 amp male to female extension.

FS
Old 07-26-2016, 09:18 PM   #34

THOR #4935
I'm new here but not new to 5er's. This is a very interesting subject and will investigate further!
Old 07-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #35

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird View Post
I'm new here but not new to 5er's. This is a very interesting subject and will investigate further!

old bird, welcome aboard!
Old 07-27-2016, 09:02 PM   #36

THOR #4935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
old bird, welcome aboard!
Thank You!