Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2016, 06:37 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry and Jo View Post
So, if I'm reading your post right, if a person purchases an RV worth $100,000 MSRP and gets the 30% discount, bringing it down to $70,000, you're saying that one shouldn't be paying more than $42,000 (which is 60% of the $70,000) for that $100,000 RV? That is suddenly less than 50% of the original MSRP.

I've worked as a manager in retail before, and I've never heard of a big-ticket item having such a "profit margin."
Yup!

That's what I'm saying, in a nutshell, (40% off of the best price).

The RV industry is not ordinary retail. It's retail prices have been artificially puffed up over decades. And, there is more wiggle room in the pricing than most people would ever imagine.

Everyone that is into RVs has seen it, but very few remember it when it comes time to buy their own new RV:

- You see the "old-inventory" last year's model marked off at an RV show for 50% off of the original MSRP.

- Or, you walk in off the street and an eager salesman is willing to immediately "knock-off" a ridiculous chunk of the price to a complete stranger that he has only spoken to for 30 seconds.

Both of those scenarios happen every day and still leave the dealership with very significant profit. There is enough padding to the prices you see that a significant beating would not even make a dent.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:53 AM   #22

Brand: DRV
Model: 36 RSSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #2152
My 2 cent comment would be to consider the "after the sale" warranty and ongoing repair work. We bought our 2007 Select Suite in MO at a dealer that no longer sells Drv's. We took it to Wheels RV in Springdale, AR for service several times and would recommend them highly. We purchased our 2012 Mobile Suite from them. We replaced our Dometic refrigerator and had Slade at Rolling Retreats in Elk City, OK install it. He also rebuilt our poorly designed Lippert Schwintek bedroom slide. He is excellent with repairs. Rolling Retreats, RV's for Less and Wheels RV are all good dealers. I know that Rolling Retreats and Wheels RV have great service.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:55 AM   #23

Model: 41RSSB4
State: Texas
THOR #1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
The 60% of MSRP seems to be about right in purchasing an Axis/Vegas. The MSRP of a Vegas is about $105K and a dealer at the Tampa show had one for sale at $68K or about 65% of MSRP. And that is before any discussion. Since my purchase involved a trade, it is a a little more difficult to make a direct comparison, but I got more for my trade than I thought I could get if I sold it on RV Trader, so in my mind, I beat 60% of MSRP.
The 105K FOR 68K is 35.2% off MSRP which is possible, that is about the percentage I did on our DRV
Old 01-20-2016, 02:06 AM   #24

Model: Memphis
THOR #2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
My 2 cent comment would be to consider the "after the sale" warranty and ongoing repair work. We bought our 2007 Select Suite in MO at a dealer that no longer sells Drv's. We took it to Wheels RV in Springdale, AR for service several times and would recommend them highly. We purchased our 2012 Mobile Suite from them. We replaced our Dometic refrigerator and had Slade at Rolling Retreats in Elk City, OK install it. He also rebuilt our poorly designed Lippert Schwintek bedroom slide. He is excellent with repairs. Rolling Retreats, RV's for Less and Wheels RV are all good dealers. I know that Rolling Retreats and Wheels RV have great service.
We're full time and move regularly. Any issues will be dealt with either the nearest dealer or factory if the list was long enough. I've heard or talked with RR and RV4less, also have done the internet price dance with 2 other companies that said they were firm at $180k before trade.... MSRP was over $220k. We never returned their e-mails
But $179k MSRP
On sale for $130k
But beat down to $100ish
is doable.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:56 AM   #25

Model: 36rssb
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3288
I think some of the "extra" pricing on drv toy haulers comes from extra beds,tables,couches,another tv with surround sound, work bench,2 30 gal. fuel tanks with pump nozzle,hand rail enclosure on beavertail and the couple that were at dealers also had generator.How much extra I would like to find out myself.Jim
Old 01-22-2016, 06:50 AM   #26

Model: Mobile Suite - Dallas
State: Florida
THOR #2074
Again pay attention to the trading difference between dealers
Old 01-22-2016, 06:52 AM   #27

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
I have mentioned for years on various RV message boards hat whatever the final price the dealer give you, (including that 30% off MSRP sale price), you should not be paying more than 60% of that price when you sign the final papers.

It doesn't matter if it's a PopUp, Travel Trailer, 5th Wheel, Class-C, or Class A Gasser, or Class A Diesel. Class B motorhomes are a different animal, and are priced like the converted vehicles that they are.

What always happens is that the folks who overpaid simply don't understand, and they will defend their dealership, and their decision. You will see the results on RVTrader when late model RVs are overpriced and remain unsold for months, (usually because the owner is upside down and owes far more than the RV is worth).

This sounds like you are talking about used rigs. Totally different animal in sales vs new.

Statistically, it's the people that overpay that allow others to get great deals.

Where do you come up with this stat?

There is an iPhone app called TRU that works for new cars, that's based upon the principle that some folks gladly overpay, (and feel they are getting a great deal), and some just get a truly good deal.
Well if you are buying your MS 5vers for 50 to 60% off of MSRP, then you should open a buying service or a dealer and make a BOATLOAD.

Your statement:
100k MSRP
30k DISCOUNT
70k SALES PRICE
28k YOUR FURTHER DISCOUNT
42k YOUR BUYING PRICE on a 100k 5ver

And you state that this is the most you should pay implying that you could get even a better deal.
And since you stated

I say BS. Post of a pic of your invoice with options and buyers order. Stating these false statements makes people who have not shopped around think this is possible. I sold cars for several years and the worst customer was an uneducated one offering you a CRAZY non doable number.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:09 AM   #28

THOR #1658
Quote:
Yup!

That's what I'm saying, in a nutshell, (40% off of the best price).

The RV industry is not ordinary retail. It's retail prices have been artificially puffed up over decades. And, there is more wiggle room in the pricing than most people would ever imagine.

Everyone that is into RVs has seen it, but very few remember it when it comes time to buy their own new RV:

- You see the "old-inventory" last year's model marked off at an RV show for 50% off of the original MSRP.

- Or, you walk in off the street and an eager salesman is willing to immediately "knock-off" a ridiculous chunk of the price to a complete stranger that he has only spoken to for 30 seconds.

Both of those scenarios happen every day and still leave the dealership with very significant profit. There is enough padding to the prices you see that a significant beating would not even make a dent.
Last years models maybe a little more as the manufacture may be offering some incentives to move old stock. You could have any salesman say to you how about 30% to 40% off right off the bat. If you not willing to sign the bottom line, talk is cheap. And many of them will send you on what is called "on a rocket". A completely BS price that you then spend a TON of time shopping. Then go back to the JERK that sent you out on "the rocket" to find out that he can not do it. You now know this because you are EDUCATED on what they are selling for. And most people just buy it from the lying salesman. I have lost many deals because of this.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:23 AM   #29

Model: Mobile Suite - Dallas
State: Florida
THOR #2074
If you get a price 40% off manufacturers MSRP, not dealers MSRP, you got a great deal. Most dealers will go 30%. It's not the car industry, no hold backs, no factory rebates. Occasionally the factory may offer a dealer a small discount back ($500) for an old unit he has on the lot. I worked in the business for 34 yrs.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #30

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrywv View Post
If you get a price 40% off manufacturers MSRP, not dealers MSRP, you got a great deal. Most dealers will go 30%. It's not the car industry, no hold backs, no factory rebates. Occasionally the factory may offer a dealer a small discount back ($500) for an old unit he has on the lot. I worked in the business for 34 yrs.
That is because of the car industry is pay full list to 10 to 15% off. Unless there are rebates and incentives. So you think that Beachers statement of at least 52% or greater off is kind of being a troll?
Old 01-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #31

Model: Memphis
THOR #2341
What's the difference in the Manufacturers MSRP and the Dealers MSRP?
I would think that the dealer jacks the factory for more room to move?
Old 01-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #32

Model: 36rssb
THOR #3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrywv View Post
Again pay attention to the trading difference between dealers
I know the op has a trade but I am selling my unit private.No trade, cash buyer.They have not sold a lot of these so im having a hard time getting a base line on pricing.Jim
Old 01-22-2016, 10:13 PM   #33

THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I say BS. Post of a pic of your invoice with options and buyers order. Stating these false statements makes people who have not shopped around think this is possible. I sold cars for several years and the worst customer was an uneducated one offering you a CRAZY non doable number.
Thank You rynosback.

It's folks with that thinking that statistically allow the rest of us to get the good deals! Just keep doing whatever it is you do when you buy your new RVs now and in the future! If it's CRAZY non-doable to you , well then, it is what it is.

I was talking about brand new shiny RV's, no used inventory, (I even highly frown upon purchasing a show/lot model).

My opinion on this internet message board is worth precisely what you paid for it. Nothing. You don't need to believe anything you read. So, I appreciate your BS comment. That's how this internet thing works.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:24 PM   #34

THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
That is because of the car industry is pay full list to 10 to 15% off. Unless there are rebates and incentives. So you think that Beachers statement of at least 52% or greater off is kind of being a troll?
ROTGLMAO!

Old 01-22-2016, 10:49 PM   #35

Model: 43' MS Atlanta
State: Arizona
THOR #1683
Quote:
Thank You rynosback.

It's folks with that thinking that statistically allow the rest of us to get the good deals! Just keep doing whatever it is you do when you buy your new RVs now and in the future! If it's CRAZY non-doable to you , well then, it is what it is.

I was talking about brand new shiny RV's, no used inventory, (I even highly frown upon purchasing a show/lot model).

My opinion on this internet message board is worth precisely what you paid for it. Nothing. You don't need to believe anything you read. So, I appreciate your BS comment. That's how this internet thing works.
And Beacher is posting in the DRV section when he doesn't even own one.

I think he is happily sitting at his computer laughing his tail off at the success of his trolling efforts. Mission Accomplished Beacher! Now go troll elsewhere, please.

Joe
Old 01-22-2016, 11:15 PM   #36
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Keep it nice guys
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:38 AM   #37

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezilla View Post
And Beacher is posting in the DRV section when he doesn't even own one.

I think he is happily sitting at his computer laughing his tail off at the success of his trolling efforts. Mission Accomplished Beacher! Now go troll elsewhere, please.

Joe
I was thinking the same thing about him not owning one. I like to feed the trolls some times and call them on there BS. I mean they can not have all of the fun on the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Keep it nice guys
I think we are. He is just trolling trying to stir the pot and I am just calling him on it.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:02 PM   #38

Model: 38RSSA
THOR #3221
Ha ha ha ha ha This was funny!

JAFO
Old 01-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #39

Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
Well, I'm not so sure that it is funny. If Beacher is truly trolling, and I don't doubt that very much, he has put out false information that an interested buyer might see and take as gospel truth, especially if they don't know what is normal for pricing of RV's.

As far as I'm concerned, if he shows up here again, he should be pointed out as a liar, and deservedly so. It's one thing to troll on a forum where a lot of banter is exchanged between participants, but another thing on a forum where people are seeking good answers to valid questions.

Terry
Old 01-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #40

Model: 38RSSA
THOR #3221
I agree with youTerry but this stuff will happen and those of us seeking information have to bear in mind for the most part we don't know everybody using these sites and their skill sets or experience/knowledge. I have come away from this and a few other forums with a bunch of good knowledge and I'm thankful for it.

I look at some of the responses and have to laugh. This particular thread started out good and took a really bad turn which shouldn't happen but did and I found (some) humor in it. Sorry.....

Dan