Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #41

Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Dan you are such a troublemaker!

Old 01-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #42

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
Yeah I know...... My bad
Old 01-23-2016, 10:40 PM   #43

Model: Memphis
THOR #2341
SO
Back to my original question that hasn't been answered-
30% of the MSRP price
OR
30% off the SALE price?
Old 01-23-2016, 11:21 PM   #44

Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
SO
Back to my original question that hasn't been answered-
30% of the MSRP price
OR
30% off the SALE price?
I would say that you could try to shoot for 40% off of MSRP, but you'd still be getting a deal at 30% off of MSRP.

That one guy that was saying to go with 30% off of the best "sale" price you could get was what we call a Troll on the forums. They are known to go into a thread and stir things up. In this case, the guy told a bald-faced lie.

My limited experience with pricing of RV's seems to indicate that dealers will show a "Show Price" at an RV show that can be attained by just buying them at the dealership. But, by going with what is on the lot, one gets to see the different floor plans and accessories instead of settling for what the dealer happens to take to the RV show.

Terry
Old 01-24-2016, 12:03 AM   #45

THOR #1661
"30% of the MSRP price"

ANSWERED!
Old 01-24-2016, 10:11 PM   #46

Model: 36rssb
THOR #3288
Another point I am considering is I live in southern Wisconsin,close to drv.Im not sure if its worth delivering a unit half way across the country to a dealer,just to bring it back.There should be some cost saving there.Jim
Old 01-24-2016, 10:20 PM   #47

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
Another point I am considering is I live in southern Wisconsin,close to drv.Im not sure if its worth delivering a unit half way across the country to a dealer,just to bring it back.There should be some cost saving there.Jim
Ask the dealer how much delivery expense is included in the cost. Deliver to southern WI shouldn't be too much. For us, it was about 2K to Florida. We found a dealer closer to Elkhart that gave us a decent trade, so we saved big time. Warranty service has not been a problem.

Your experience may vary.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:10 AM   #48

Model: Mobile Suite - Dallas
THOR #2074
Have we got this figured out?
Old 01-25-2016, 06:39 AM   #49

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
I bought my MS from Elkhart as they are the closest dealer to the factory(30 miles). They were several thousand dollars under the four other dealers that quoted me.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #50

Model: 38RSSA
THOR #3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I bought my MS from Elkhart as they are the closest dealer to the factory(30 miles). They were several thousand dollars under the four other dealers that quoted me.
OP, I think Ryan here has your best answer. Contact these people and go from there. Get what you think is the best price and move forward.

Dan
Old 01-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #51

Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
The original poster is a different individual from the one asking about picking up near the factory.

With regards to picking a dealer close to the factory, I would simply suggest to check to see if you can find reviews from people who purchased from that nearby dealer.

If the nearby dealer has negative reviews with regard to pricing, customer service, or PDI, I'd look elsewhere. Over the years on the forums, I've heard folks complain of all three of those aspects from the dealers where they purchased their RV's.

I personally know Alicia and Slade at Rolling Retreats, and IF we were to be considering the purchase of a new DRV, we'd go to them from anywhere in the U.S. to get ours.

Terry
Old 01-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #52

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Guys, I understand your trolling concerns.

However, I have indeed made the RV pilgrimage. It started with a PopUp, then a TT, and yes folks a 5th wheel, and I'm on my third motorhome.

I have never paid MSRP for any RV that I have purchased, and I did mention that people will simply not believe what I have to say, dismiss it, and continue to purchase RVs the way they always have.

That is great! That allows the statistical few, (like me), to swoop in and get the truly great deals.

It's perfectly fine for people to pay MSRP. And it's even far better to take factory delivery or by off the lot and pay way more than the dealers original listed price. That allows for profit in the free market economy.

You guys are correct though, I do not now or ever have owned a DRV!! And, furthermore I have no intention of ever getting one, (been there, down that). I like motorhomes. But, that does not mean that I'm trolling, (even though I do bear a striking resemblance to the picture that I posted above).
Old 01-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #53

Model: 38 RSSA
THOR #2055
You need to get the DRV price list if you are ordering or not. It is the factory retail price sheet. I had one when I ordered my 2015 DRV. I added up the cost of the options. I then shopped four different dealers across the country. I negotiated with them for a price on the unit. I did not offer a trade until after the price was settled on the unit. I knew what my trade was worth and decided that if they would give me that fine if not I would sell it outright. Well it all worked out got the price I wanted for both units separately. I actually bought from the second dealer as with the added transportation cost the difference was minimal. I have bought other rv's this same way. Maybe you get 30 maybe 40 per cent at least you will have a baseline to start from. It isn't very difficult.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:44 AM   #54

Model: Memphis
THOR #2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrywv View Post
Have we got this figured out?
Oh it's been figured out....
Just forgot what file I stored it in yesterday....

Now I'm just enjoying the banter
Old 01-26-2016, 02:38 AM   #55

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #3258
Nearly three years ago we were finally ready to buy our full-time coach. We had done our research and had a list of 5-6 motorhomes that met our needs and were somewhere close to our price. Naturally, they were scattered all around the country, so we made an appointment to see the one that was only 300 miles away. We got up early on a Saturday morning, drove down to see it, and then headed home. On the way home Jo Ann said, "I'm unhappy." I asked why, and she said, "I didn't want to like it, and I love it." We talked about it for a couple of days, and finally called the seller with an offer that was what we could afford, but quite a bit less than what they were asking. It took them about two seconds to accept our offer.

Keep in mind, though, that this was a used coach from a private seller, with no trade-in involved. In our case, the sellers really needed the coach gone, and didn't need the money. They could have given us the coach for free and still not suffered. A dealer may not have the same needs, and certainly can't afford to give away a coach, but that doesn't mean that they don't have room to deal. A coach that has been on the lot for several months may well be cheaper than an identical one that just arrived. The salesman may be willing to sacrifice some of the commission because it will be replaced by a bonus. As I said before, make an offer that you are comfortable with, and let the dealer decide whether or not to accept it.

One bit of advice I was given years ago was to not fall in love with a particular item. Be prepared to walk away if you aren't happy with the deal. Chances are that you can find a similar item elsewhere. Remember that if you choose to buy some distance away from home you have to add the costs of the trip to the cost of the coach.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:00 AM   #56

Model: Dallas
THOR #2170
I shopped seriously for over a year. We knew we wanted a Suites. Before the Thor buyout the factory wouldn't allow more than 20% of MSRP advertised. It was obvious when I was able to get the build sheets. I was also told that when dealing you'd be able to get 30% off but not much more. In bargaining with several this too became evident. Now this may have changed with the new owner. A better deal shows up because they use to take a good price hike and last years model could save you 10K. But that too may have changed. If they run like they use to 17's should be on the assembly line if not now quite soon. !6's, besides last years price will be discounted a little more. To my fellow Southern Wisconsinite........Alicia (Rollin Retreats) said it would be no problem meeting them and picking it up at the factory. They probably make that trip several times a month. Had I not gotten a deal on a slightly used DRV I would have ordered from them. And they might be interested in a used Carriage.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:18 AM   #57

THOR #3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by classichammond View Post
I shopped seriously for over a year. We knew we wanted a Suites. Before the Thor buyout the factory wouldn't allow more than 20% of MSRP advertised. It was obvious when I was able to get the build sheets. I was also told that when dealing you'd be able to get 30% off but not much more. In bargaining with several this too became evident. Now this may have changed with the new owner. A better deal shows up because they use to take a good price hike and last years model could save you 10K. But that too may have changed. If they run like they use to 17's should be on the assembly line if not now quite soon. !6's, besides last years price will be discounted a little more. To my fellow Southern Wisconsinite........Alicia (Rollin Retreats) said it would be no problem meeting them and picking it up at the factory. They probably make that trip several times a month. Had I not gotten a deal on a slightly used DRV I would have ordered from them. And they might be interested in a used Carriage.
Thanks,usefull info.Jim
Old 01-26-2016, 06:57 PM   #58

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry and Jo View Post
The original poster is a different individual from the one asking about picking up near the factory.

With regards to picking a dealer close to the factory, I would simply suggest to check to see if you can find reviews from people who purchased from that nearby dealer.

If the nearby dealer has negative reviews with regard to pricing, customer service, or PDI, I'd look elsewhere. Over the years on the forums, I've heard folks complain of all three of those aspects from the dealers where they purchased their RV's.

I personally know Alicia and Slade at Rolling Retreats, and IF we were to be considering the purchase of a new DRV, we'd go to them from anywhere in the U.S. to get ours.

Terry
As you know we left Jan 1 2015 from NW WA and drove directly to meet with Alicia for 3 days while staying at their place hooked up in our RV. It was a great experience! We had many things in mind that we wanted but she had some ideas that we had not considered. Some of her ideas cost more but several suggestions saved us money. We thought we wanted a fiberglass rood and power steps, she advised against both saying there have been problems with both, we listened. Bottom line for us was not saving money as much as having the RV we really wanted. We did end up with a great price and a great RV!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #59

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry and Jo View Post

Terry
As you know, we left Jan 1 2015 from NW WA and drove directly to meet with Alicia for 3 days while staying at their place hooked up in our RV. It was a great experience! We had many things in mind that we wanted but she had some ideas that we had not considered. Some of her ideas cost more but several suggestions saved us money. We thought we wanted a fiberglass rood and power steps, she advised against both saying there have been problems with both, we listened. Bottom line for us was not saving money as much as having the RV we really wanted. We did end up with a great price and a great RV!
Old 01-27-2016, 04:21 AM   #60

THOR #3288
So if you pick up a drv at the factory,does drv do the prep or from there would I need to go a dealer for that?Jim