Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: Memphis
State: South Dakota
THOR #2341
Pricing

We are fulltimer RV'ers having been on the road for 3 years in our current Carrilite, but are considering swapping around RV's. So here's our question.
Have a question about pricing-
Most of the DRV dealers that advertise on the web have a "MSRP" price shown and then a "Sale" price shown.
When running the numbers it seems that the Sale price is 30% or so off the MSRP price.
Did most of you take another 30% off the Sale price for your offer?

We are interested in the new Fulhouse line. MSRP numbers seem to be in the $170k mark.... with the "Sale" price in the high $120's- low $130's.

If I take an additional 30% off the Sale price then a sales lot demo unit becomes affordable, where a custom ordered unit is still out of reach.
And the unit is new enough that there is no NADA values to work off of.
We talked with one dealer and priced out a trailer with the options we would Like- wishlist style and the quoted price actually went into the mid $180k range .
So, is anyone willing to tell me the "secret" of these negotiations? PM me if you don't want it to be public info.

With our current Carrilite, I had the NADA values to work with. I worked off the "Low" price and bought about $400 above that with some extra's in the deal.
We do have a second pic for an alternative, a Grand Design, but the owners forum isn't giving me many warm fuzzy feelings reading about all the issues their having. From junk tv's and stereo's to freezing pipes this winter. A maxed optioned 397TH Grand Design is about $118k before any % off. We do realize that a GD does NOT compare to a DRV but it the next in line in the toy-hauler quality build arena

Old 01-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
We are fulltimer RV'ers having been on the road for 3 years in our current Carrilite, but are considering swapping around RV's. So here's our question.
Have a question about pricing-
Most of the DRV dealers that advertise on the web have a "MSRP" price shown and then a "Sale" price shown.
When running the numbers it seems that the Sale price is 30% or so off the MSRP price.

We are interested in the new Fulhouse line. MSRP numbers seem to be in the $170k mark.... with the "Sale" price in the high $120's- low $130's.

If I take an additional 30% off the Sale price then a sales lot demo unit becomes affordable, where a custom ordered unit is still out of reach.
And the unit is new enough that there is no NADA values to work off of.
We talked with one dealer and priced out a trailer with the options we would Like- wishlist style and the quoted price actually went into the mid $180k range .
So, is anyone willing to tell me the "secret" of these negotiations? PM me if you don't want it to be public info.

With our current Carrilite, I had the NADA values to work with. I worked off the "Low" price and bought about $400 above that with some extra's in the deal.
We do have a second pic for an alternative, a Grand Design, but the owners forum isn't giving me many warm fuzzy feelings reading about all the issues their having. From junk tv's and stereo's to freezing pipes this winter. A maxed optioned 397TH Grand Design is about $118k before any % off. We do realize that a GD does NOT compare to a DRV but it the next in line in the toy-hauler quality build arena
My experience has only been with cheaper models, but I found on the 25-30' Class A's about 30% off is about right. On both my recent Vegas/Axis buys, I found the lowest price I could find on the web, researched the value of my current trade using what they were selling for on RV Trader, decreasing that by 20% or so. NADA is useful to give a ball park figure, but I have found that it significantly over estimates what actual units are selling for. Using the lowest price for the unit I want and the estimated value of my trade, I found a unit on the lot that I wanted, let the salesman know upfront where I was coming from and after an offer from the dealer, made them an offer. On the first one, to my surprise, the dealer took it and the salesman was really surprised. So was I. On the latest one, the dealer was 12K over my offer (actually about where I guessed he would be - I started ridiculously low - I thought) and we left amicably. Two days later at the show the same salesman but different manager took $7500 off the first offer and I took it.

The dealers know what these coaches are selling for on MHRV and other sites and how easy it is to go on RV Trader and see what the new units are selling for all over the country. It has been my experience that if you go in and upfront tell the salesman "I can buy it for this price here and I am willing to drive to Texas if I have too", they often are willing to meet that price or close. The fun comes with the trade. One of the low ball web dealers offered me $11K less than the show dealer. I was lucky in that the show price was real close to the low price they were selling for on the web - so I got the best of both deals and a price I was very happy with. I am not kidding myself, the dealer made money too or he would not have sold it to me. But after doing all the research, I don't think I could have bought it for much less, even if I was willing to drive 1200 miles to pick it up. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2016, 07:20 PM   #3

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
When we decided to "pull the trigger" on our DRV we talked to a salesperson at a dealership in IL, we were given a MSRP price list with all the goodies we wanted on it. After talking to the dealer we went to DRV for a factory tour just to see if these trailers were built like they claimed. First off I believe they are, are they perfect? Not hardly but way better than what we were in at that time. The sales manager in Howe told us not to be too scared of the MSRP prices as there was "a lot of wiggle room" there, those were his words not mine. The sales guy at DRV then called our dealer to tell him we're serious about buying and that we were very serious buyers. Sounds corny right? Well when we go back we sat down with our salesman and started haggling and low and behold the price on just about everything on our build list began to fall. The MSRP prices are pretty inflated IMHO!

That was our experience, we got what we thought was a decent price on our DRV and also on what we were given on trade for our old unit.

I have heard a lot of good things about two major DRV dealers in the country, one in Oklahoma and one in Kansas. If I were buying another DRV I'd look into those dealers. One thing we found out, DRV doesn't have that many dealers around the country so they negotiate warranty work with RV people in the area you're in at the time of need.

Best advice would be to shop around and don't be afraid to travel to get your Suites.

Dan
Old 01-17-2016, 09:21 PM   #4

THOR #2341
Thanks for the input. We have been to the place in Kansas you mention and have talked to the place in Tennessee. We didn't consider the Oklahoma place because we do need a decent trade in and from hersay they don't usually want older rigs (2009).
So ya'll are saying that the "MSRP" really doesn't apply and what they show as "Sale" would be a starting point.
So lets say $130k @ 30% = $39000
So somewhere in the neighborhood of $91k would be a decent starting point.

Am I in the ballpark here?
Old 01-17-2016, 09:54 PM   #5

Model: 43' MS Atlanta
State: Arizona
THOR #1683
Quote:

I would say only if you want to make the dealer mad. Just my thoughts.

Joe
Old 01-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #6

Model: 38RSSA
THOR #3221
I think 91k would be "low" IMHO. Joe's right..... You'd probably be insulting a dealer at that price point. For a decently appointed Suites you're looking north of 100k for sure.

You're looking at toy haulers right? I believe they're a little more "pricey" than just a regular MS like ours. Not having any interest in toy haulers I'm not sure of their price point.

Shop around, you may find a lightly used one, although DRV hasn't had those toy haulers on the market all that long finding a used one may be next to impossible.

Good luck in your search.

Dan
Old 01-17-2016, 10:42 PM   #7

THOR #2341
Thanks, that's what I'm trying to figure out. We don't want to insult a dealer, but don't want to be taken either.
There are NO used ones on the market. Maybe in the next 2-3 years though. The Full House looks like it is built on the 44-45' frames. The floor plan we like is the JX450 which is essentially the 38RSSA floor plan with a 10' garage added. (kitchen and living area a touch shorter though)
Having been in the model we like, I really don't see the additional $50k in MSRP from other 44' models like the Cumberland or Naples. There is less cabinetry in the unit, less carpet, etc.

Coming from our Carriage product, which in its time was a competitor of DRV (Doubletree) with all real wood trim, drawers, padded ceiling, stacked box tube frame, etc, DRV is the ONLY toy hauler maker that is on the same quality level. Our Carrilite has been issue free from workmanship defects since new. A few 3rd party items- AC and water pump have been replaced but that's it.

We wold rather buy a bare bones DRV than the other brand. We can add better suspension later, paint it, change the lighting, toilet, and carpet, But it's hard to change a frame or add insulation to a lesser unit.

So if a "Sale" price is $130k what is a fair offer?
Old 01-17-2016, 11:19 PM   #8

THOR #3258
You can offer a dealer anything you want. The dealer may well agree to a really low purchase price, but then give you only a pittance for your trade-in. Of course, if you are willing to separate the two, you may do better than a package deal. If you want to do a package deal (aka trade-in), then the only number to talk about is the one you will put on the check. The dealer can write the order for full MSRP and give you a huge trade-in allowance, 50% off MSRP and nothing for the trade-in, or anywhere in between. It doesn't really matter how it is broken out.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:59 AM   #9

Model: 36rssb
THOR #3288
Walker,im also considering the jx450 but I am one year out on purchase.New horizons custom built a one bike side entry hauler that the person that ordered it is unable to use it now.Check it out on their website.I like the layout.Jim
Old 01-18-2016, 06:26 AM   #10

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Thanks for the input. We have been to the place in Kansas you mention and have talked to the place in Tennessee. We didn't consider the Oklahoma place because we do need a decent trade in and from hersay they don't usually want older rigs (2009).
So ya'll are saying that the "MSRP" really doesn't apply and what they show as "Sale" would be a starting point.
So lets say $130k @ 30% = $39000

I would advise re thinking the "Oklahoma place" ! We traveled from NW WA to Oklahoma met for three days placed our order then negotiated a trade in price for our 07.5 MS. We ended up getting about 30% off list and a great trade in price on our old rig.

Alicia knows her Business! She had ideas we never thought of and also suggested NOT getting some things even tho she would have made more money.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:50 AM   #11

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
I would say there is NO WAY they would sell you that 5ver for 60% off MSRP. It does not hurt to ask. I think 20% to 30% is the going range. I had mine built with a bunch of customs. I had three dealers give me there price on my build sheet. The advantage to ordering one is you get exactly what you want and they do not need to floor plan the unit. So it really costs them less. I went with the lowest price as service from them was not a concern as I am full timing and do not hang out in a certain area.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #12

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
We wrote an email saying what we wanted and what we were willing to pay. We also made it known that we would buy that weekend from whoever's met our price. We then sent that email to dealers all over the south. We got three quick responses. The one that met our price was in Charleston SC. 410 miles away. We drove up that weekend and picked it up no problem. They were very nice and no price switch. The next two weeks I got offers from 8 more dealers but I asked what part of I am buying this weekend do you not understand. Don't worry about offending a dealer they want to get as much as you will pay. Remember the new models will be out soon. Sell your old one on eBay.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:33 PM   #13

THOR #2341
This is where to me it's aggravating. The new unit pricing for the RV industry is so manipulated by both the manufacturer and dealer that without a resource like NADA you / Idon't know where to start.
So the sale price being advertised is more in line with what the unit should sell for or within 10% or so?
Here is an example for those that want to look. This unit is a basic DRV unit. No options- Basic Lippert axles, no electric power cord reel, tank heaters, Canadian heat package, No extra's (like Rolling Retreats or RV's 4less), basic graphics, no heat pump.
New 2016 DRV Luxury Suites FullHouse JX450 Toy Hauler Fifth Wheels at Oklahoma RV Center Moore Oklahoma Oklahoma RV Center
Oklahoma RV Center is owned by the same group that owns Kansas RV Center.
We are fulltime as well. I wasn't aware the Rolling Retreats took trades of other brands besides DRV.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #14

Model: Mobile Suite - Dallas
THOR #2074
Got my best deal from RV's4Less in TN. Also heard good things about Rolling Retreats. It's all about the "trading difference"
Old 01-18-2016, 04:30 PM   #15

Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
With regards to pricing, I think the better dealers will always give a buyer anywhere from 20% to 30% off of MSRP. I've never heard of one giving an extra 20 to 30% off of the "sale" price. I spend a bit of time on another forum, one that is not "dedicated" to DRV's, and from all I've read there, the 30% with a rare 35% may apply. But, I'd bet the 35% is without trade ins.

I can also attest for Alicia and Slade at Rolling Retreats in Oklahoma. We met them back in 2008 or 2009, when they were still just selling used DRV's after buying them at auction. After that, they became a dealership for new units and really took off with sales. They don't sell other brands, other than perhaps consignments or whatever gets traded in, so I was concerned about their cash flow. Come to find out, in their very first year, they were among the top 10 dealerships in the country for DRV. One doesn't do that unless they are serving their customers.

They won't have a Full House, but if you don't mind waiting for one to be ordered, it might be worth it.

As for Oklahoma RV, the only experience I have with them is from several years back. I went by there to look at some Dynomax Trilogy's so that I could answer some questions for a forum participant at that other forum I spoke of, and I found that I knew more about the Trilogy than the salesman did, and all I knew was what I read on the Trilogy's website. I suspect that I got a new salesman, but I was surprised that they didn't have someone experienced go around with him.

Terry
Old 01-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #16

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:

I have mentioned for years on various RV message boards hat whatever the final price the dealer give you, (including that 30% off MSRP sale price), you should not be paying more than 60% of that price when you sign the final papers.

It doesn't matter if it's a PopUp, Travel Trailer, 5th Wheel, Class-C, or Class A Gasser, or Class A Diesel. Class B motorhomes are a different animal, and are priced like the converted vehicles that they are.

What always happens is that the folks who overpaid simply don't understand, and they will defend their dealership, and their decision. You will see the results on RVTrader when late model RVs are overpriced and remain unsold for months, (usually because the owner is upside down and owes far more than the RV is worth).

Statistically, it's the people that overpay that allow others to get great deals.

There is an iPhone app called TRU that works for new cars, that's based upon the principle that some folks gladly overpay, (and feel they are getting a great deal), and some just get a truly good deal.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #17

State: Illinois
THOR #2672
We very very happy with the deal we got from RVs4Less in Knoxville, TN. In addition to the good deal, we have been pleased with the after-purchase support we've received.

When comparing discounts from various dealers, make sure they are using the same MSRP. I've heard that some dealers jack up the MSRP and then can give a larger percentage discount.
Escapees #114399
GordonsontheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #18

Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
I have mentioned for years on various RV message boards hat whatever the final price the dealer give you, (including that 30% off MSRP sale price), you should not be paying more than 60% of that price when you sign the final papers.

It doesn't matter if it's a PopUp, Travel Trailer, 5th Wheel, Class-C, or Class A Gasser, or Class A Diesel. Class B motorhomes are a different animal, and are priced like the converted vehicles that they are.

What always happens is that the folks who overpaid simply don't understand, and they will defend their dealership, and their decision. You will see the results on RVTrader when late model RVs are overpriced and remain unsold for months, (usually because the owner is upside down and owes far more than the RV is worth).

Statistically, it's the people that overpay that allow others to get great deals.

There is an iPhone app called TRU that works for new cars, that's based upon the principle that some folks gladly overpay, (and feel they are getting a great deal), and some just get a truly good deal.
So, if I'm reading your post right, if a person purchases an RV worth $100,000 MSRP and gets the 30% discount, bringing it down to $70,000, you're saying that one shouldn't be paying more than $42,000 (which is 60% of the $70,000) for that $100,000 RV? That is suddenly less than 50% of the original MSRP.

I've worked as a manager in retail before, and I've never heard of a big-ticket item having such a "profit margin."

Maybe I'm just getting too old to understand some of this stuff.

Terry
Old 01-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #19

THOR #2341
I think he's saying that he shoots for 60% of MSRP as the final price. Or 40% off the MSRP.
We appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. I do understand that there are different sale policies for different companies. In my old marine building days, 1 company I worked with sold all models for 10% over cost, great sales on the new customer but had no repeats because they offered no service and deferred warranty to 3rd parties.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:56 PM   #20

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
The 60% of MSRP seems to be about right in purchasing an Axis/Vegas. The MSRP of a Vegas is about $105K and a dealer at the Tampa show had one for sale at $68K or about 65% of MSRP. And that is before any discussion. Since my purchase involved a trade, it is a a little more difficult to make a direct comparison, but I got more for my trade than I thought I could get if I sold it on RV Trader, so in my mind, I beat 60% of MSRP.