Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: Fullhouse
State: Florida
THOR #4230
Propane Tanks

Have a question...we have a new Fullhouse that comes with the standard 2 propane tanks. How do the tanks get utilized.....does one empty first and then automatically switch over or do you need to manually switch over to the other tank? Also, we have been going for 2 months and just use gas for the Truma hot water system as well as the cooktop. How often do you typically need to refill?

Thanks!

Tim

Old 06-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
If you camp plugged in to shore power and only use the propane for
the water heater and cook top you may be able to go a few months
before having to refill tanks.

Back when I lived full time in a 27 foot TT, a 25 lbs. bottle of propane
would last a couple of months before I had to switch over to the second
tank (mine was manual) and it usually happened when I had to go out
in my pajamas & robe in the morning before a shower. :-)
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #3109
You should have 2-40lb tanks, and if you start with both filled, put the auto switch to the front tank. When the front empties, it will switch automatically to the rear tank. BUT, you need to check the little window to see when the color changes from green to red--that means it has emptied the front tank and is using the rear tank. At that point, IF you catch it just after it empties the front one, you take the empty tank and refill it. This way, you don't have to bother with the #**@! rear tank but maybe every six months.
You will get used to how much propane you usually go thru--checking once every 3-4 days will often be enough to catch it when it is first empty, once you get the routine going.
When the front runs out, change the lever to the rear tank and take the front out to refill. When you replace the front after filling, change the lever back to the front. This way, you will have the least number of times to have to pull the rear tank out.
Run with electricity for water heating as much as possible.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #4

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
I always leave back tank closed. Never run out that way.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:42 PM   #5

Model: Fullhouse
State: Florida
THOR #4230
Thanks for the info! I wasn't sure if it was auto changeover or not. With the Truma, we can only run on gas.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:43 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
The biggest drawback to that is when it's cold running the furnace it will ALWAYS be about 2-3 am when you run out of gas & have no heat, ALWAYS worked that way for me. We are always hooked to shore power & bought a portable induction cooker & 1 of our ac's is a heat pump, so 1-40lb bottle will last about a year, unless it's really cold running the furnace it only last about a week.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #7

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
The biggest drawback to that is when it's cold running the furnace it will ALWAYS be about 2-3 am when you run out of gas & have no heat, ALWAYS worked that way for me. We are always hooked to shore power & bought a portable induction cooker & 1 of our ac's is a heat pump, so 1-40lb bottle will last about a year, unless it's really cold running the furnace it only last about a week.
True "IF" you use propane to heat. We have the Cheap Heat so that is not an issue. Even when we used propane it was not an issue. I would rather run out of ONE tank any day VS both.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:45 AM   #8

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Also, we have been going for 2 months and just use gas for the Truma hot water system as well as the cooktop. How often do you typically need to refill?
Thanks!
Tim
Using the Truma Aquago also we typically go 6 weeks to 8 on the front LPG cylinder, but staying at nicer CG's I tend to use the facilities shower(s) often. But that includes the washer & dish-drawer, Plus I fry up old-school breakfasts at times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
you need to check the little window to see when the color changes from green to red--that means it has emptied the front tank and is using the rear tank. you don't have to bother with the #**@! rear tank but maybe every six months.
Or longer
Quote:
I follow this technique also I hate pulling that rear tank!
Quote:
True "IF" you use propane to heat. We have the Cheap Heat so that is not an issue. Even when we used propane it was not an issue. I would rather run out of ONE tank any day VS both.
Likewise, although it helps if we stay where it's warmer too. So far the fireplace has served us well.

DW sprung for the Truma level gauge on my B-day. Little hand held gadget that you ping the cylinder up and down. It gives you a hi/lo tone and red or green LED, go, nogo if you will. I can tell within a <1/4" where the level in the cylinder is. Kind of handy.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:32 AM   #9

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
I do the same thing now. I woke up at 5am FREEZING because we ran out of propane. Never again I said, so I keep the back tank closed so if it ever runs out, I just open the valve and I know I have a full tank. Then get the other one filled.