Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2018, 12:57 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
Replacement TV

May be that the Samsung TV in our trailer has taken a dump--sound, but no picture, nothing. Not sure yet if it isn't operator error, but in the case that is needs replacement--if you have replaced the original Samsung on that is on the televator (Gasp! WOW!--quotes from GoingRV show...)
Current unit is 46" and might be able to squeeze in an inch wider on either side for a larger screen.
2015 38RSSA--the screen is 46" diagonal, so guess it is a 46" TV. Will need to be able to attach to the astounding televator also. Don't want to lose the use of the window behind it, so don't want to put something up permanent.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Joe

2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:53 AM   #2

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Joe, take it off and match it to what TVs you are interested in. Because you want it to mount up correctly.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #3

THOR #3109
That is why I am asking for others who may have had the same setup--doesn't look too easy to get it off and wanting to look at some options before I have to try to remove it.
Thanks,
Joe
2017 F450 KR
Old 06-21-2018, 07:49 PM   #4

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Sorry to hear, and don't have the lift on our unit.

My experience indicates that most video products are "VESA" compliant. This means that mounting holes on the back of the flat panel bracket, should be in a similar pattern & dimensions in relation to the mounting bracket / hardware, for replacement panel.

I'm afraid most are like a Rubiks cube, finding the set screw, locking pin, cam to release from bracket or frame. Once discovered, oh that was too easy...

Don't know if this is your model or not?:

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...V_Lift_OEM.pdf
Best of luck.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:17 PM   #5

Brand: Heartland
Model: DRV rssa
THOR #1691
I have the same year and model #7392. Our set went out like yours, we called TV repair shop and they sent two guys over. First they couldn't get the screws from the mount and came back with more sockets, still couldn't remove them. I called DRV they said Robertson #8 (square drive). I had to beg them to come back after I had the screws almost all the way out. They came out with two modules, one on each side in the rear of set. Removed the screws and replaced both of them with out trouble shooting. Put back on the elevator. This wasn't there first one. Bill was almost $400. I said you can get a new one for that money. He agreed knowing that size is discontinued. I checked Amazon and the parts were a about $150. Very easy fix.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:11 PM   #6

THOR #5034
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman View Post
They came out with two *modules, one on each side in the rear of set. Removed the screws and replaced both of them with out trouble shooting. Put back on the elevator. I checked Amazon and the parts were a about $150. Very easy fix.
No intention of thread high-jacking, although an interesting point. I realize your intention is removing the flat panel from the lift unit.
*I assume you mean integrated circuit card modules inside the flat panel enclosure? Yeah, I know we're in a disposable age!
Some yrs. ago we had a 48" Visio panel that lost its picture, it still had audio, and you could hear and see the power going on and off (power LED). Did some internet searching and arrived at an I/O card. The inside of those panels reminded me of a PC, main board, power supply, couple of I/O cards all with ribbon cables connecting them. I gambled on ordering a video I/O card replacement that was $65 w/core return. Laid the panel out on the kitchen table, it had perhaps 40 small screws all around the rear edge. Tedious but... Bingo! all went back together and came to life again. One of the kids still uses it, LOL.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:28 AM   #7

Model: 41RSSB4
THOR #5859
If you lower the tv part way you can easily see how it is mounted. As mentioned, an allen or square or torx cant tell on mine as they are chewed up some. Two screws on each side should lift right out. I would put a thick blanket on the desk top first though. And use a friend to help.
2011 F350 Dually 6.7 PSD
Fulltimer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:07 AM   #8

THOR #3109
All very helpful info, thanks.
Has anyone actually replaced the TV with a new one? Some quick lookups on 46-48" TVs all show to be about twice as deep as mine.
I am partial to Vizios--had several of them at the old house, never a problem. I think Sonys are overpriced--nice, had them also. Just trying to find a newer TV that will fit before I take it out just to get the depth.
Thanks,
Joe
2017 F450 KR
Old 06-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #9

THOR #5034
Yes, the more recent panels using LED back-lighting are much thinner than the past generations that used CFLs etc..

Ironically, Samsung Ind. does manufacture the vast majority of the actual flat panel displays used in & marketed by many FP-TV manufactures.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #10

THOR #3109
Woodman,
Thanks for posting the screw slot size as #8 Robertson--was trying my darnest to get a Torx/Star bit to fit because of the multiple grooves visible. The Robertson fit perfectly.
Also, the screws are self-tapping, not bolts/nuts--guess that makes sense, could not get around the rear to back up for tightening.
Got the old one out, now just hope the wiring works the same...
Joe
2017 F450 KR
Old 06-26-2018, 05:21 AM   #11

THOR #3109
Next chapter--no TVs that I looked at matched the dimensions (HxW) of the Samsung.
So, got one just with an 1" more height--what difference could an inch make?? Well, first thing up--seems the Samsung did not have the standard mounting bolts that most TVs have, and of course, the new TV has to fit the old bracket so it can be attached to the 'televator' mechanism. There is only one set of holes on the old bracket that will fit the new TV--and had to get new screws since the new Vizio screws were not long enough. Metric, eh? Got the bracket attached to the TV rear and put it back on the same screws in the televator arms--TV sits 2" high, sigh. Noted there were other holes in the televator arms lower that had been used for something? earlier--maybe one TV had already been replaced. Moved the TV to the lower holes and then the 1" height difference still won't let the cabinet top sit back evenly, but close.
Not sure what the next step will be, but...we have TV again--sorta. Sat 129 not found now, no HD on Dish. 90 mins today with Dish, no help, but bless their hearts, they tried. Tomorrow call to Winegard to see what they say about the SK-1000 Travler antenna.
Oh, and had a flat yesterday on way from Crater Lake to Ontario, OR--that wasn't fun either, but the TST sensor worked just fine and prevented me from hurting the rim or worse. No cell service, so had to do it the old-fashioned way.
Maybe tomorrow will be better....
Joe
2017 F450 KR
Old 06-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #12

Model: 39RESB3
State: Florida
THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Next chapter--no TVs that I looked at matched the dimensions (HxW) of the Samsung.
So, got one just with an 1" more height--what difference could an inch make?? Well, first thing up--seems the Samsung did not have the standard mounting bolts that most TVs have, and of course, the new TV has to fit the old bracket so it can be attached to the 'televator' mechanism. There is only one set of holes on the old bracket that will fit the new TV--and had to get new screws since the new Vizio screws were not long enough. Metric, eh? Got the bracket attached to the TV rear and put it back on the same screws in the televator arms--TV sits 2" high, sigh. Noted there were other holes in the televator arms lower that had been used for something? earlier--maybe one TV had already been replaced. Moved the TV to the lower holes and then the 1" height difference still won't let the cabinet top sit back evenly, but close.
Not sure what the next step will be, but...we have TV again--sorta. Sat 129 not found now, no HD on Dish. 90 mins today with Dish, no help, but bless their hearts, they tried. Tomorrow call to Winegard to see what they say about the SK-1000 Travler antenna.
Oh, and had a flat yesterday on way from Crater Lake to Ontario, OR--that wasn't fun either, but the TST sensor worked just fine and prevented me from hurting the rim or worse. No cell service, so had to do it the old-fashioned way.
Maybe tomorrow will be better....
Joe
From one Joe to another, I feel your pain. Seems like everything comes in at least pairs! I was wondering if you could just drill more holes in the vertical brackets to set the tv in the position you need for closing? Thinking out loud!
juicesqueezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #13

THOR #3109
Sadly, if the TV is set any lower on the carrier, the bottom of the screen will be masked from by the cabinet top when it comes up. I can see why they have opted not to use these any longer, at least on the RSSAs.
In studying all the TVs as WM and Costco, there is not a replacement 46" unit any longer that I could come up with--they are classed as "43-50" screens and did not want to go down in size and the 50" definitely is too tall. The Vizio is the only 48" TV I came across in the short time I had to research them.
Thanks,
Joe
And, unfortunately, problems are said to always come in threes...have already found the third, but that is another story.
2017 F450 KR
Old 06-26-2018, 07:18 PM   #14

THOR #5499
Joe, we have the rear entertainment with the disappearing TV. The bottom last inch of the TV is hidden by the cabinet. I believe someone has already changed this one out. We have the fireplace below and it is an easy removal to see just how much room at the bottom we have if we decide to go larger later.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:08 PM   #15

THOR #3109
Seems to be a wooden panel between our fireplace and the TV space--would be blocking view if the fireplace was out?
After a long session with Dish, then further time with Winegard--new TV is up and running and my wife is no longer mad at the world of electronics. Coincidental to installing the new TV, one of the coax cables between the antenna and switch box gave out, leaving us with TV but no hd programming--129 sat was being picked up but not getting thru to TV. New cables, several trips up on roof and all is well--that is, except the cabinet top doesn't sit level with cabinet. Going to ponder that some--looking for pixie dust to solve...
2017 F450 KR
Old 06-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #16

THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Seems to be a wooden panel between our fireplace and the TV space--would be blocking view if the fireplace was out?
I have not removed the fireplace and since you said there is a wood panel, which does make sense, it should be easy to remove. Was just wondering if there was anymore space down below for TV to lower. When we head out again, I will check into this more. Planning on doing the fan upgrade then as well. Busy, busy!
Old 06-28-2018, 02:56 AM   #17

Model: 38 RSSA
State: British Columbia
THOR #10922
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman View Post
I have the same year and model #7392. Our set went out like yours, we called TV repair shop and they sent two guys over. First they couldn't get the screws from the mount and came back with more sockets, still couldn't remove them. I called DRV they said Robertson #8 (square drive). I had to beg them to come back after I had the screws almost all the way out. They came out with two modules, one on each side in the rear of set. Removed the screws and replaced both of them with out trouble shooting. Put back on the elevator. This wasn't there first one. Bill was almost $400. I said you can get a new one for that money. He agreed knowing that size is discontinued. I checked Amazon and the parts were a about $150. Very easy fix.
Same thing just happened to mine. Internet troubleshooting told me to shine a flashlight on the darkened screen in a darkened room and if you can see the 'ghost' image of the programming in the background then the LCD controller has failed. Sure enough - ghost image. What are the modules called or better yet can you send me the amazon link? Many thanks.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:53 AM   #18

THOR #5034
^ What you're describing sounds like the lack of back lighting through the LCD matrix. Older panels used some CFL tubes. More modern panels use LED arrays etc. You'll need to do some specific searches on your actual make / model panel. Weigh your options, the panels are considerably cheaper than they once were. Some panels do use a modular video display / audio cards similar to a PC etc. The more economical models might have everything integrated onto a main board. They are not so generic.