Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2018, 02:38 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: Memphis
State: South Dakota
THOR #2341
Slide floor

We had to have the drivers wheel well side metal work removed and replaced due to hail damage. When the shop took the panel off they found this. This is on a 2017 Memphis that we purchased July 31 2017. 16 months ago. We've had it caulked/recaulked at Kansas RV center in April, as well as monthly touch ups. DRV has little to no comment on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181113_164726.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	14090  

Old 11-16-2018, 02:42 AM   #2

THOR #2341
More Pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181113_164729.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	14091   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181113_165311.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	14092  

Name:	20181115_100914.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	14094  
Old 11-16-2018, 02:52 AM   #3

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Sorry to hear this. I won’t get started bout the caulk issues. I will just say that we had a meeting with DRV and the caulk manufacture.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:16 AM   #4

THOR #2341
The caulk they use does need help, but the applicator- ie. person that applies it needs to seal more areas. When we bought ours, there were gaps and the caulking touched the slide seals but didn't extend past the outer seal. Any water that got past the seal was able to seep into the end grain.
Considering how many of these rigs sit outside uncaulked and wait for weeks to be taken to paint is a large issue. Plus the lack of sealant/butyl tape under the beltline molding. All there is a foam tape that is thin and twists and tears when a screw is pushed thru it.
In the last pic, where you see the rust spots, those are the brad nails that DRV uses to attach the wall to the floor. Brad nails that rust. No tape or sealant along the end grain of the floor plywood.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:51 AM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #3109
Walker,
Very sad for you to see this damage--have you yet had any feedback from DRV?
Ryan,
Anything more you can say about your meeting?

Still cannot believe that DRV sells 150k units with these subsequent problems....I have begun removing old caulk from the frame trim on the BR slides and replacing it. Also, on all the slide fronts/rears where the angle brace is screwed in.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:01 AM   #6

THOR #2341
I know Geocell is not a good caulk. It may be a stop gap, but it's not a long-term sealant. On my old Carrilite, I used Lexel. It was a PAIN IN THE BUTT to apply, but I never recaulked after using it. On an even older 5th wheel I used Sikaflex white colored caulking and never had to redo because of cracking or peeling. After 30 years building custom yachts and offshore race boats, I know how to keep water out.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:07 AM   #7

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Walker,
Very sad for you to see this damage--have you yet had any feedback from DRV?
Ryan,
Anything more you can say about your meeting?

Still cannot believe that DRV sells 150k units with these subsequent problems....I have begun removing old caulk from the frame trim on the BR slides and replacing it. Also, on all the slide fronts/rears where the angle brace is screwed in.
Joe, we posted up a lot of information from that meeting on Facebook. We are going to strip out every bit of the caulk and replace it with Lexel.
Guess who’s stock this is?
It is DOWN 61% since January.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2EE5FE8E-4521-4753-8453-EA6BA4487349.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	14098  
Old 11-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #8

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Guess who’s stock this is?
It is DOWN 61% since January.
Quite the drop in only 6 months

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #9

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Time to buy!!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:51 AM   #10

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
In a word......... WOW!!!

That IS sad, I can't believe that's a 2017 model! And DRV had no comment huh?

I'm sorry to see you're going through this, I hope it gets corrected to your liking. Who's doing the work on your unit?

Dan
Old 11-17-2018, 02:28 AM   #11

THOR #3221
Ryan, what FB group was the "meeting" posted on? My wife is on FB (I'm not), she joined DOG, is there another group? Please excuse my ignorance, I'm not a FB user.

Dan
Old 11-17-2018, 04:00 AM   #12

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
Ryan, what FB group was the "meeting" posted on? My wife is on FB (I'm not), she joined DOG, is there another group? Please excuse my ignorance, I'm not a FB user.

Dan
I am like you, my wife is on FB and I am not. Yes she is on the DOG group. The main thing that came out of it was that you could not layer the product. If it cracked Geocell stated to strip it down and reapply. Also that the product only has a one year shelf life. We are now going to try Lexel. It is hard to work with but it has not cracked so far on a slide that I applied it on about a year ago.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #13

THOR #11383
I'm a little confused. What is the original caulk DRV used? Is it the Geocell memtioned? How long has the Brand of caulk used on this 2017 model been used or is it just the applicator . In other words who is the problem, purchaser (Thor/Hearthland) or application, quality control (DRV)?
I remember being told/read several times (which I didn't like) the RV may need to be re-caulked after a year or so.
But Walker's problem didn't happen after a year.
Thor'ed again???
Clay 2016 MS 38PS3 #8120
Old 11-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #14

THOR #3221
Thanks Ryan, I look for that posting on FB.

I remember two years ago after our unit was re-painted we were at Twin Lakes RV repair for other service work. Jay noticed the crappy job DRV did caulking our trailer and suggested it be redone, we decided to have Jay and his crew do it. So far the job is holding up well. He was very thorough, checked the roof and did our slide outs too.

Dan
Old 11-17-2018, 11:11 PM   #15

THOR #2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
In a word......... WOW!!!

That IS sad, I can't believe that's a 2017 model! And DRV had no comment huh?

I'm sorry to see you're going through this, I hope it gets corrected to your liking. Who's doing the work on your unit?

Dan
Kellogg RV in Andover KS is doing the repairs. We were originally slated for them to repair some cosmetic hail damage... And yea, DRV at this point has denied responsibility and refused to offer any compensation.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:36 PM   #16

THOR #2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS60ocb View Post
I'm a little confused. What is the original caulk DRV used? Is it the Geocell memtioned? How long has the Brand of caulk used on this 2017 model been used or is it just the applicator . In other words who is the problem, purchaser (Thor/Hearthland) or application, quality control (DRV)?
I remember being told/read several times (which I didn't like) the RV may need to be re-caulked after a year or so.
But Walker's problem didn't happen after a year.
Thor'ed again???
Clay 2016 MS 38PS3 #8120
There are several items that I have found while watching them talk the slide apart. 1- The caulking job from the factory is lousy at best.
2- The beltline molding has a thin foam gasket that screws tear as they push thru and are tightened.
3- The end grain on the flooring has nothing on it to protect it. No sealant, tape, nada.
4- Geocell may be a good caulk for its intended use, but why use a product and to continue to use that product when you know it breaks down quickly. 5- The units are not caulked on the exterior before going to paint. How long do the units sit outside in rain before going to the paint booth? Are the units put in a hot booth and allowed to completely dry before caulking is applied? Or do they bring in a wet unit, dry the skin and seal it up trapping whatever moisture is inside....
6- Only the top edge of the molding is caulked.... So when traveling in a rainstorm, no water can travel up and under the molding? Evidently not according to DRV. Even the molding around the top is only sealed on the upper edge.
7- DRV said its the owner's responsibility to caulk and check for broken screws. DRV claims that their RV building crew do NOT break or strip out screws on assembly. BUT NOWHERE in the owner's information or dealer information, does it say that you need to check all the screws to make sure they are not broken on a regular basis.
8- DRV did mention that they monitor the FaceBook DOG group and were less than pleased with me posting there.

I was in the marine industry for many years. I was in R&D and engineering for my career. I was the manager for 7 years of a custom builder that I had a part of. I have used many different sealants and adhesives to deter water from entering a structure. It's not rocket science to achieve a watertight structure but care has to be used along with common sense. Water will travel uphill, water will permeate gelcoat... gelcoat is porous.... and will allow water to pass thru... That's why so many boats are painted. Paint will seal the surface against long-term exposure to moisture. In the marine world you put caulk in every hole you drill before inserting the fastener. You caulk all sides of a molding.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:04 AM   #17
MnP

Model: 38RSSB3
THOR #2069
I just got done paying Paul Cross at Interstate RV about $7500 to replace both OD slide floors due to moisture penetration around the trim. The big kitchen/entertainment slide had over half of the screws broken but not obvious to me. It's a known problem but some of us didn't know it until it was too late.
MnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:43 AM   #18

THOR #2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnP View Post
I just got done paying Paul Cross at Interstate RV about $7500 to replace both OD slide floors due to moisture penetration around the trim. The big kitchen/entertainment slide had over half of the screws broken but not obvious to me. It's a known problem but some of us didn't know it until it was too late.
I feel your pain.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:10 AM   #19

THOR #1658
The problem also could be from the underside of the slide. Look under your slide and look at the edge of the floor to the outside wall. Mine had some gaps and I sealed it with Geocell. I will more then likely clean it up and use Lexel and or eternabond tape. I used eterabond tape on my roof on the skylight, two fans, front and rear cap top seam and vent pipe and dummy pipe. This way I NEVER will have to look at sealing anything up on the roof.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #20

THOR #11383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
There are several items that I have found while watching them
7- DRV said its the owner's responsibility to caulk and check for broken screws. DRV claims that their RV building crew do NOT break or strip out screws on assembly. BUT NOWHERE in the owner's information or dealer information, does it say that you need to check all the screws to make sure they are not broken on a regular basis.
Thanks for the detailed account of the finding. I have been to the factory twice but never paid much attention to the last three stops on the assembly which the next is out the door. I guess I must look up Howe IN weather for OCT 2015.
On my first busted screws I noticed one screw lacking about 1/2 turn head making contact with the metal it was to hold. I tightened about 1/2 the amount needed to seat the head with the metal when it twisted off. This was on ODS bedroom side lower front edge. I checked some adjacent screws and and one was already twisted off (held in place by caulking) another twisted off immediately on putting torque to screw.
A little investigation later I found the pilot hole in the 1/16 or 3/32 angle metal was less than the Major thread diameter of the screw thus much smaller than the shoulder of the screw. That problem seems to only one that slide but still thousands of miles later I have found twisted off screws when recaulking. Think the factory uses worn out drill bits.
Clay
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7340.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	14128