Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2020, 06:07 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
State: California
THOR #17752
Solar prep?

Is this "vent" cap truly a vent, or is it a raceway for solar. 2020 36RSSB3. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200109_100530.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	22139

Old 01-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
it's a vent for the holding tanks on my rig.
so if you're looking for a way to run a solar line, do it thru your Refrigerator roof vent
down the opposite side from the hot propane vent, then into the area behind the cabinets
once you're on the backside of the cabinets, you can route your line to the location of the solar controller, then to the house battery compartment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4994.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	22140  
Old 01-09-2020, 07:29 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
On our Outlaw: this is what the hook-up on the roof looked like...
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1578598163
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar panel roof wiring.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	22143  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #4

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
On our '15 38RSSA we have a couple of vents in that general area in your picture. One of those vents on our trailer was a "cover" for the wire that runs down into the battery compartment. I'd say go up on the roof and open it up, that will for sure tell you one way or the other. FWIW, I had to "fish" with a piece for coat hanger wire for the solar prep wires!

You could also give DRV a call and ask them.

Dan
Old 01-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #5

THOR #17752
The satellite wires were in a dummy vent. I'm assuming that the real vent is above the bathroom. I might have to actually go up and look. [emoji23]
Old 01-10-2020, 12:23 AM   #6

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Here we go again with a DRV owner asking a DRV question on te DRV section and being answered by a group of people who don't know front from back on a DRV. Never ends. Even if you just hit the "new " button on the screen the thread displays on the top left but no one looks, EVER> OK, now get all defensive and whiney.

YES THAT IS THE SOLAR PREP AREA ON A DRV> There will be 2 wires under it. Sometimes it may take a little fishing around, but they are there. They are directly down to your battery area. Uncapped on both ends. Don't know what guage they are using now. Mine was #6. Good luck

Bill
Old 01-10-2020, 01:12 AM   #7

THOR #17752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Here we go again with a DRV owner asking a DRV question on te DRV section and being answered by a group of people who don't know front from back on a DRV. Never ends. Even if you just hit the "new " button on the screen the thread displays on the top left but no one looks, EVER> OK, now get all defensive and whiney.

YES THAT IS THE SOLAR PREP AREA ON A DRV> There will be 2 wires under it. Sometimes it may take a little fishing around, but they are there. They are directly down to your battery area. Uncapped on both ends. Don't know what guage they are using now. Mine was #6. Good luck

Bill
Thanks Bill. I thought so. It didn't make any sense for it to be anything else. Now I'll look around in the battery compartment for the other end.
I was wondering why some of the comments, though probably intended to be helpful, were so off base.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:10 AM   #8

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
it's a vent for the holding tanks on my rig.
so if you're looking for a way to run a solar line, do it thru your Refrigerator roof vent
down the opposite side from the hot propane vent, then into the area behind the cabinets
once you're on the backside of the cabinets, you can route your line to the location of the solar controller, then to the house battery compartment
DRVs are solar prepped. So that are not wired like your rig. This is why they posted this in the DRV section.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:20 AM   #9

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post

Bill
Great reply Bill. Now let’s get back to the game...MARCO......
Old 01-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #10

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
You non DRV people need to stick to generic topics if you truly want to participate on the subject.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:56 AM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #11383
The lower end of my wires in my 2016 MS 38PS3 are located in front corner ODS. They be anchored to front jack but I'm sure a different fellow placed them in the same corner. I think I have about 30 inches of slack

Clay
Old 01-26-2020, 09:22 PM   #12

State: Texas
THOR #9543
What Pork said was spot on. Yes, they come pre-prepped with #6 gauge unless it was ordered with the #4 gauge wire.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:05 AM   #13

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Yung Still View Post
Is this "vent" cap truly a vent, or is it a raceway for solar. 2020 36RSSB3. Attachment 22139
Just a cap. Your wires may be right under it or 16-18" away (mine were about 16" away).
I needed a camera to find them. If you are going to do solar you may as well pull the whole cap assembly off, makes it a lot easier to find the wires.

Most likely an unmarked pair of 10-AWG black wires unless you upgraded to the 4-AWG option.

Down below look inside the hydraulic compartment. Stick your head in, look right (ODS) and look for a taped coil of wire near the hydraulic jack.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote