Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: PS3 Elite
State: Minnesota
THOR #3564
StepUp Electric Steps Won't Stay Retracted

I posted to Suites Owners forum and thought I'd give this a try too.

I think I'm one of the three DRV owners that opted for the StepUp electric steps. I'm now having an issue with operation and don't know where to find an answer. The steps are great while they work and I've developed my first regret. After retracting the steps, the bottom two steps will slowly lower themselves to the ground. I have them bunjee corded up for transport. If they lower themselves, you can manually lift them back into storage mode. It feels like its lost hydraulic pressure though I have no idea if hydraulics are involved.
Does anyone know of a manufacturer contact or a troubleshooting manual? I have an extended warranty but hate paying $100 for something that may be simple. I have a 2016 ESPS3.

2013 HD Ultra Limited
AlmostRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:14 PM   #2

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
I'll be watching this thread, we have the electric steps too so we're one of the other three. LOL So far NO issues! I hope I didn't just jynx myself!

Dan
Old 04-20-2017, 06:14 AM   #3

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
We opted them, so your count is now 4.

DRV i think has them made for them. I think I remember a member having this issue and they needed to lube a locking mechanism. As it was not activating. It is all electric using a worm gear. Hope this helps you out.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #4

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
At the time of our order (1/08/15) Alicia at Rolling Retreats advised against the electric steps and the fiberglass roof. I have zero regrets going with her advice.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #5

THOR #3564
I received a call from DRV today while I was at work. I guess they do monitor the forum and I'm glad they do. I'll try what they suggested this weekend and share if it is the solution. If not, I'm to give them a call.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #6

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostRetired View Post
I received a call from DRV today while I was at work. I guess they do monitor the forum and I'm glad they do. I'll try what they suggested this weekend and share if it is the solution. If not, I'm to give them a call.

Interesting, how would they know who to call???
Old 04-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #7

THOR #3564
Dunno? I don't try to hide my true identity though. I'm glad they figured out who I was anyway.
2013 HD Ultra Limited
Old 04-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #3109
Odd for DRV to take the initiative on a warranty repair.....if they actually read this forum and connected the dots to contact you, kinda nice. But for everything I have read lately, this is out of character--great news if they are going to be proactive on these things.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #9

THOR #3564
There is a rubber coated contraption located on the center hinge. The rubber is cracked and is now exposed to the elements. There is a movable lever underneath the rubber and it isn't moving on its own when the steps are raised. I can manually move it easily prior to raising the steps and if I do, the steps will lock in the stowed position and not creep down. I haven't repaired it yet but I suspect once the electrical contacts are cleaned and lubricated it will function as designed.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:14 AM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #7222
Well if only three of us bought the electric steps there probably wouldn't be more than one in Minnesota. I know one is in Texas. Easy to track down if they were so inclined.

The rubber boot on mine came apart and I made a new on with a bicycle intertube.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:24 AM   #11

THOR #3564
I'll have to try that. I thought about asking the factory to send me another boot but the original didn't really live up to my expectations so I can't see putting the same thing on again. Hopefully they'll improve the weathering capability for future designs. It's supposed to rain for the next few days and perhaps hit us with a little snow on Wednesday so I haven't attempted a proper repair. I'll let folks know if it works once I stop procrastinating.
2013 HD Ultra Limited
Old 05-02-2017, 05:03 PM   #12

Model: 39DBRS3
State: Arizona
THOR #5464
We too have the electric steps and love them.. I checked our boot and at 18 months still looks good. I did treat it with 303 which is the same treatment I used on our rubber roof on the last 5th wheel
Old 05-02-2017, 06:37 PM   #13

State: Alabama
THOR #3543
I have the electric steps with a remote control. Works great. My boot was also cracked. Repaired with Black Gorilla Tape.

FS
Old 05-02-2017, 09:03 PM   #14

State: Maryland
THOR #4040
I gottem as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by frscherock@gmail.com View Post
I have the electric steps with a remote control. Works great. My boot was also cracked. Repaired with Black Gorilla Tape.

FS
We have the electric steps as well and like them. I would be interested how you did the remote control.

Don
DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:16 PM   #15

State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonandPatti View Post
We have the electric steps as well and like them. I would be interested how you did the remote control.

Don
^^^^^^^ Me too! I'd love to hear how you made a remote happen as well. Also, if it's possible I'd like to see a pic of your boot mod.

Dan