Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 41RSSB4
State: Wyoming
THOR #2094
Stick House is Officially Sold

It's Official-we closed on our house yesterday at 1400 and have the check for our proceeds in hand on the way to the bank. Currently living in a little Wolf Pack 21WP120 until our 41RSSB4 is done. (Which we are hoping is the beginning of July. Reeaaaalllly looking forward to the extra space compared to this little fellah.)

We were able to sell or give away most everything except the shop tools. (Those weren't considered for sale. They're worth storing) We currently have a 10'X10' storage unit and that is IT! The process of downsizing was incredibly difficult, especially since I'm 13/16 hoarder, but we were able to do it and even get some cash for some of the things we don't need anymore.

We don't plan on hitting the road until 2016, but nonetheless, we are still full timing!

Old 06-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #2

Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
Congrats on the lifestyle change! I don't think I could ever give up my cars and garage full of tools (or the gun safes) but I like living vicariously through others experiencing the full time life....

What are you going to pull that monster with?
Old 06-04-2015, 07:03 PM   #3

Model: 36 RSSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #2152
Congrats and welcome to our world! Don't let anyone give you cr** about keeping a storage unit. We kept one for 6 years because no one wanted our antiques. Finally, daughter bought a bigger home and took them, yay. We have been fulltime since March 9, 2006 and have lived in a Drv unit since June 1, 2006. No regrets, we love the lifestyle.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Congratulations! Enjoy the rest of your life! Its gonna be a cool chapter in your life.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #5

THOR #2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
Congrats on the lifestyle change! I don't think I could ever give up my cars and garage full of tools (or the gun safes) but I like living vicariously through others experiencing the full time life....

What are you going to pull that monster with?
We have a 2015 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually CC with Cummins/Aisin/4.10 and 4X4. Max towing came out to 28,750 hashtags (get it?) and payload was 5,750 or 5,800. Threw some air bags on there for good measure. We're only going to move every quarter, so getting the automatic bags, while convenient and with a high "cool factor," seemed unnecessary.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #6

THOR #2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
Congrats and welcome to our world! Don't let anyone give you cr** about keeping a storage unit. We kept one for 6 years because no one wanted our antiques. Finally, daughter bought a bigger home and took them, yay. We have been fulltime since March 9, 2006 and have lived in a Drv unit since June 1, 2006. No regrets, we love the lifestyle.
We had friends that were curious as to why we didn't keep the couches and whatnot and just get a bigger storage unit. To store those suckers would have more almost tripled our cost, and our $2000 couches would have cost us $4000 in a relatively short amount of time. However, when you have a CNC machine and a bunch of metal-working tools, those are worth storing at $45/month.

The Wolf Pack is a bit small, especially since it doesn't have any lateral slide-outs, but our dogs are sure happy about getting four walks a day. I'm doing just fine in the little guy, but my wife is definitely counting the days until the DRV is complete.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:51 PM   #7

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
We had friends that were curious as to why we didn't keep the couches and whatnot and just get a bigger storage unit. To store those suckers would have more almost tripled our cost, and our $2000 couches would have cost us $4000 in a relatively short amount of time. However, when you have a CNC machine and a bunch of metal-working tools, those are worth storing at $45/month.

The Wolf Pack is a bit small, especially since it doesn't have any lateral slide-outs, but our dogs are sure happy about getting four walks a day. I'm doing just fine in the little guy, but my wife is definitely counting the days until the DRV is complete.
Isn't it amazing how quickly aluminum, fiberglass and steel shrinks? Makes trailers/motorhomes feel really small?
Old 06-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #8

Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
If you got rid of the bed and put a sleeper sofa in the rear, you should have enough space in the bedroom for he CNC mill.....just saying.....
Old 06-04-2015, 11:25 PM   #9

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Congratulations. I close on my house in 18 days and pick up our trailer on Monday.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:17 AM   #10

State: Florida
THOR #2120
We are going the other way. We have had our 2007 38RL3 since new. Started full timing in 2010 did 6 mos. on the road with it then bought a truck camper. Spent 6 mos. in our TC and the other 6 in Fla. at an RV Resort not far from Ocala, Fla. in the MS. We enjoy getting off the beaten path so the MS was a little tough to get out in the boonies. We now have decided to go back to a stick built so we will be selling our MS soon. Its in great shape if you know of anyone looking.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #11

THOR #2094
It is amazing how things like aluminum, wood, and steel tend to shrink. I'm going to go ahead and blame sun flares for that one.

I was trying to justify bringing a small plasma Miller plasma cutter that runs off 110 or 220 power, cause, you know, I might need to cut something. My wife didn't seem impressed. I guess I should just be happy that I got to sneak a couple grinders in the toolbox.

Thanks Ryno. And congrats to you too! Looks like you had your timing figured out. We absolutely could not find one that was equipped the way we wanted it, and dear wife absolutely loathes the honey cabinets. In the midst of all our searching (and trying to decide if we should simply order or not) our house was under contract much sooner than we expected. Wifey had the idea of seeing if DRV had any units that they were building that weren't claimed. I didn't think this would be a useful effort with everything is built to order, but what could it hurt? We gave Tom four floor plans that we liked, and two of them came back available due to a dealer's financing falling through-he 41RSSB4 and a 44 Memphis. Luckily for me, the Memphis had the wrong color cabinets. (I like the 41 more anyway)

We are thinking about keeping the little wolf pack just for that reason Chief. Haven't decided it's fate yet...
Old 06-06-2015, 02:12 AM   #12

State: Florida
THOR #2100
In March 2014 we came to the realization we wanted to go full time.
In October 2014, we determined that I would retire in January 2016.
In February this year we sold our home in two days and moved into our 2005 Dutch Star until we sold it. Closed on the home in March.
Put the Dutch Star up for sale in April, and sold it in 1 day. Talk about blessed.
Met with Kyle Miller @ DRV in April to spec out our 44 ES Houston. What a guy!
Waiting now in an apartment for the DRV to come off the line, should be the end of June! Right now my iPhone app tells me I have 220 days until I retire!
We can hardly hold it in we are so excited.
Got a call today, our F-450 is in transit for delivery!!!
What a life we all live!!!!!
Old 06-06-2015, 02:16 AM   #13

THOR #2094
That's fantastic! Congratulations! We won't be retiring, just traveling. Looking forward to the change of pace though.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:19 AM   #14

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
It is amazing how things like aluminum, wood, and steel tend to shrink. I'm going to go ahead and blame sun flares for that one.

I was trying to justify bringing a small plasma Miller plasma cutter that runs off 110 or 220 power, cause, you know, I might need to cut something. My wife didn't seem impressed. I guess I should just be happy that I got to sneak a couple grinders in the toolbox.

Thanks Ryno. And congrats to you too! Looks like you had your timing figured out. We absolutely could not find one that was equipped the way we wanted it, and dear wife absolutely loathes the honey cabinets. In the midst of all our searching (and trying to decide if we should simply order or not) our house was under contract much sooner than we expected. Wifey had the idea of seeing if DRV had any units that they were building that weren't claimed. I didn't think this would be a useful effort with everything is built to order, but what could it hurt? We gave Tom four floor plans that we liked, and two of them came back available due to a dealer's financing falling through-he 41RSSB4 and a 44 Memphis. Luckily for me, the Memphis had the wrong color cabinets. (I like the 41 more anyway)

We are thinking about keeping the little wolf pack just for that reason Chief. Haven't decided it's fate yet...
We placed our order even before we listed the house. We have a lot of customs on our unit. I wish I had a couple of more weeks, but it is what it is. I have been thinning out and selling on Craigslist for just over a year now.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:03 AM   #15

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
"We have a lot of customs on our unit"

Can you top 68?