Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2018, 10:39 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
State: Colorado
THOR #11836
Thor production

Good evening from a potential owner.
Quick question for the members: When did Thor take over production of the DRV product line? I know DRV was brought under the Thor umbrella in 2015 but when did they start exercising production, purchasing and quality control?

We are researching a purchase of a Dallas or Houston and are wondering what the last year of "Old DRV" production was.

Thanks

Old 06-02-2018, 10:42 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
TMC and it's siblings own the largest share of the market...
As to whether or not it's a good thing: that's open to debate...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:41 AM   #3

Model: 39RESB3
State: Florida
THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choxie View Post
Good evening from a potential owner.
Quick question for the members: When did Thor take over production of the DRV product line? I know DRV was brought under the Thor umbrella in 2015 but when did they start exercising production, purchasing and quality control?

We are researching a purchase of a Dallas or Houston and are wondering what the last year of "Old DRV" production was.

Thanks
From what I know, Thor took over around January 2015. Now, how much input they had/have, is questionable. From what others have mentioned, DRV still did their own thing and may still be with Thor overseeing.
That was one deciding factor with our purchase in going with a 2014. What, if anything that means, who knows.
Good luck with your search and if you find anything different, please let us know.
juicesqueezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:19 AM   #4

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Like stated, 1/2015 is when they were bought. DRV stated that the were going to still be in controll of production. I’m sure they have much better buying power now. Slade at RR, Rolling Retreats says that they are having to do less work when PMIing the new units. But you never know. But compared to other 5th wheels I still believe they are the best option bang for the buck.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #5

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
We left NW WA 1/1/2015 towed to SoCal for a night then to RollingRetreats in OK to order our new DRV. It was around the 3rd or so when we heard Thor bought DRV but we continued on our journey and placed our order. We lucked out and our rig was a very early 2016.

The issues we have had are nothing to do with Thor but MUCH more with Ed, "Mr NO".
Old 06-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #6

THOR #11836
Thanks everyone for the input. As part of our DRV Research, we talked to a couple last weekend that have a 2014 Dallas (for sale and in fantastic shape) and a 2018 Atlanta. They are adimat that the build quality of the 2014 is well above their new coach.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'd still be cautious about what they tell you: they might be trying to justify the purchase of the new rig to themselves...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:30 PM   #8

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
Actually I think he opposite. Which one are they selling?
Old 06-03-2018, 05:16 PM   #9

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
Actually I think he opposite. Which one are they selling?
Sounded like he said that they were / are selling the 2014.

“Thanks everyone for the input. As part of our DRV Research, we talked to a couple last weekend that have a 2014 Dallas (for sale and in fantastic shape) and a 2018 Atlanta. They are adimat that the build quality of the 2014 is well above their new coach”

I think the dealer can make a HUGE difference. I think that there are only one or two dealers that really PDI a DRV properly and catch and fix most of any issues before you even see the coach.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #10

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
We looked at several different high end 5ers back 2012 (well before Thor took over DRV) when replacing our Big Country (Thor took over Heartland shortly after we bought), we bought a Redwood which compared to the DRV the fit/finish was equal to, possibly better in our opinion, for $15-$20k less, 2-5k lbs lighter. We've fulltimed in it for 5 years & no major issues. With exception of the IS suspension, which could be added for much less than the sales price difference, it has all the same amenities & options.
By the way it's for sale if interested;
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...-renew-listing
I make nothing from Redwood or Thor & not trying to push my rv, but just trying to state there are other quality 5ers available.
You might want to check out the Heartland Landmark 365s as well, they are also beautiful 5ers to much less money.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:22 PM   #11

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
We looked at several different high end 5ers back 2012 (well before Thor took over DRV) when replacing our Big Country (Thor took over Heartland shortly after we bought), we bought a Redwood which compared to the DRV the fit/finish was equal to, possibly better in our opinion, for $15-$20k less, 2-5k lbs lighter. We've fulltimed in it for 5 years & no major issues. With exception of the IS suspension, which could be added for much less than the sales price difference, it has all the same amenities & options.
By the way it's for sale if interested;
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...-renew-listing
I make nothing from Redwood or Thor & not trying to push my rv, but just trying to state there are other quality 5ers available.
You might want to check out the Heartland Landmark 365s as well, they are also beautiful 5ers to much less money.
I agree that the finishes were about equal as we were looking at a Redwood, Lifestyle and DRV. The Redwood was the first to be aliminated as it has an I beam frame. As I was trying to buy the best foundation for my 5ver and not the lipstick. With a lighter frame and thinner outside walls it will be lighter. And in my reading the Moryde IS suspension iS FAR superior to any suspension that was on any 5ver being made at that time. Having your 5ver travel smoother down the road makes it easier on it.
We did not buy a Lifestyle as at the time they had only been out for a couple of years. Glad that we did not go that way as they went out of business.
Best of luck with your sale, but I Sounds to me that he wants to purchase a DRV. Have you thought of posting up on Redwood forums? I would think you would find more buyers there then on a DRV forum.
IODRVF ( Invator Of DRV forums)
Old 06-03-2018, 09:04 PM   #12

Model: Mobile Suites 38rssa
State: Alaska
THOR #8691
I picked up my ordered 18 ms 38rssa in October. I have had no issues except a bad whirlpool refrigerator which is not DRVs fault. This is my fifth fifth wheel and has less issues by far than any other unit I've owned.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:45 PM   #13

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choxie View Post

Thanks
I'd tend to judge each a every individual trailer on its own merits or deficiencies based on your wants / needs.

Our experience on the pre / post argument(s) seem more based on folklore and fears of change. One thing that is inevitable is change.
On a factual note the only issues I'd recommend research on for those yrs. Would be the brief use of the Schwintek slide hardware. Whether it's the old style or retrofitted to the LCI versions. The old style can be a somewhat costly issue. But if the 43' behemoth is only going to be set up in a resort somewhere, that may be of little concern?

Best of luck
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #14

THOR #11836
DRV Production

Hi All
A little more information on the two coaches:
I believe both were bought off dealers lots so there is little or no "customization" other than what a local dealer could offer.

Their reason for purchasing the new unit was the need for a second bedroom.

Just a note on how gracious the owners are. My wife and I are focusing on the Dallas and Houston models. We are visiting our in laws on the Space Coast and saw the add on RV Trader for the 2014 Dallas in the Tampa area. We were going to be in the Tampa area and so I sent a message to the owner, letting him know that we were just researching and would love to "just look" at his rig and pick his brain on the DRV product.

I have to say, I wish the timing were different because the rig is FLAWLESS. The owner and his wife took all of two hours showing us the Dallas and all her features, knowing full well that we were not at the point of making a purchase.

The wife especially is convinced that the older unit's build quality is slightly better than the quality of their new rig. One example they showed us was the under bed storage. The older rig had drawers and the newer one did not. They pointed our several other differences, none of which would be "deal breakers", just a perspective.

And so, I was curious if other owners shared their perspective.

Finally, from everything I could see, this rig is in remarkable shape and from the little price research I have done, a great deal.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #15

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
uh
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I agree that the finishes were about equal as we were looking at a Redwood, Lifestyle and DRV. The Redwood was the first to be aliminated as it has an I beam frame. As I was trying to buy the best foundation for my 5ver and not the lipstick. With a lighter frame and thinner outside walls it will be lighter. And in my reading the Moryde IS suspension iS FAR superior to any suspension that was on any 5ver being made at that time. Having your 5ver travel smoother down the road makes it easier on it.
We did not buy a Lifestyle as at the time they had only been out for a couple of years. Glad that we did not go that way as they went out of business.
Best of luck with your sale, but I Sounds to me that he wants to purchase a DRV. Have you thought of posting up on Redwood forums? I would think you would find more buyers there then on a DRV forum.
IODRVF ( Invator Of DRV forums)
This forum is for Thor products & I clicked on the "Redwood 5th wheel" sub topic. When you look at "recent discussions" header all topics whether motorhomes or towables are listed. I'm sorry to be interfering in the DRV discussions with my lowly Redwood!!! I could ask you the same, why aren't you on the DRV site, you'll apparently have better company there with more expensive lipstick? Maybe the web designer could put some sort of secret password for DRV owners so us inferior 5th wheel & motorhome owners couldn't interrupt your discussions & find out you too have the same issues as the rest of us even with your far superior foundations!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #3109
Not wanting to get into brand wars, but...the name of this particular forum is-----

Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > DRV Luxury Suites

Or did I read this wrong?

I see nothing wrong with any/everyone joining in, just wouldn't expect a lot of Redwood proponents on this one.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:00 PM   #17

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
I wonder what Danny and Linda did for a living to make him so thin skinned and grouchy.
That was a rhetorical question. I do not need or want an answer. Stuck in a dead end go no where job he hated for 30 yrs? Sometimes I just question out loud.

Bill
Old 06-05-2018, 06:10 AM   #18

THOR #1658
QUOTE=Travelin' Texans;123820]uh

This forum is for Thor products & I clicked on the "Redwood 5th wheel" sub topic. When you look at "recent discussions" header all topics whether motorhomes or towables are listed. I'm sorry to be interfering in the DRV discussions with my lowly Redwood!!! I could ask you the same, why aren't you on the DRV site, you'll apparently have better company there with more expensive lipstick? Maybe the web designer could put some sort of secret password for DRV owners so us inferior 5th wheel & motorhome owners couldn't interrupt your discussions & find out you too have the same issues as the rest of us even with your far superior foundations![/QUOTE]

Correct, this and MANY other manufactures are under the Thor umbrella.

I’m sorry that you feel that your Redwood is “Lowly, has Inferior foundations and I gues inferrior over all as you stated it twice”.
Some of us do have the same issues, but the systems can be different in many ways. Hence why there are different sections/sub forums.
I’m not sure why you have your panties in a twist and feel that you need to call me out. As I stated the difference in the frame and wall construction knocked Redwood out of the running when I was looking to buy my 5ver. I also said that you might capture a better audience for selling your Redwood in the Redwood section. Why do you think that the Thor forum is only for Redwoods? Here is a link dedicated to Redwoods. Redwood RV Owners Community
So why are you on here instead of there?
Facts seem to upset you. So buckle in as I am going to show you some facts on forums.

You are clicking the new post button which shows every new thread and post on the INTIRE forum. Not just the Redwood section. The red arrow is pointing to that button in the image below.

The DRV section, also known as a sub-forum was added upon my request to the sites Admin. As Thor had just recently bought them and I did not like how the SOITC forum is run. Pictured below shows all of the brand name sections/sub forums. The DRV section/sub forum has a red arrow pointed at it.

Other forum etiquette -
Somethings are not best said on the board but in PMs. Once you post it on the board, everyone can see, read it.
Keep it civil and on topic
Don’t be so sensitive as many people have other opinions then yours.

Again, best of luck with the sale of your Redwood.
If you wish to carry on with a dialog, please feel free to PM me instead of airing it on the open forum.
Again, best of luck with the next chapter of your life.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:18 AM   #19

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I wonder what Danny and Linda did for a living to make him so thin skinned and grouchy.
That was a rhetorical question. I do not need or want an answer. Stuck in a dead end go no where job he hated for 30 yrs? Sometimes I just question out loud.

Bill
Do you know something we do not Bill?
Old 06-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #20

Model: Mobile Suites 38rssa
State: Alaska
THOR #8691
Wow! Did I miss something?