Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Here's how things work in my world:
I run 110 lbs in my 3 axle tires. That is 5 lbs over what the goodyear load chart indicates. Rides smooth and wears good.
I can, and do, lift all of the tires off the ground using the levelup system. When in use I try and keep the legs as short as possible, by using blocks under rams. Better for stability. No rocking. When in storage I lift all tires off ground to unload suspension. Does that do any good? Don't know. The rams are rated to hold more than double the weight and it makes me feel good. If the rams aren't long enough for the terrain you happen to be on, put some blocks under them. Simple solution.

Bill
DAMN, something else we agree on!!!

It really is amazing how many just blindly run MAX pressure on everything they own.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #22

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I have begun using blocks under all the jacks--seems to work better and haven't had any leakdown of front jacks since holding the manual retract buttons about 2-3 secs longer than 'up'--seems silly to have the auto level and still have to do all the additional work, but WTH, if it works...
I do think the less extension of the jacks, the more stable the trailer will be.
YA mean sumthin like this? My rig is much more stable especially in the front since there is so much slop in the front landing gear.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #23

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
DAMN, something else we agree on!!!

It really is amazing how many just blindly run MAX pressure on everything they own.
You could always also shot the tires with a temp gun and see the temps of both the edges and center of the tire and adjust from there.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #24

Model: 41RSSB4
THOR #5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthole View Post
Was just a suggestion. After using Levelup for almost 8 years I have lost count how many times the campground was out of level enough so that 1 or 2 tires were off the ground, sometimes several inches.

General question, are the jacks on a DRV bolted on in a postion that does not allow all four wheels to come off the ground several inches?

Before I adjusted my jacks to gain some drive way ground clearance, I was able to lift my coach so that all 4 wheels were about 5" off the ground, with no additional blocks
That does bring up a good point. The jacks can be adjusted but will be a compromise between lifting the wheels off the ground and having enough ground clearance when in the up position.
I use blocks when needed.
2011 F350 Dually 6.7 PSD
Fulltimer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:51 PM   #25

Model: PS3 Elite
State: Minnesota
THOR #3564
Air Pressure

I have a twin axle 38PS3 and it was weighed at 20700 lbs with 4850 on the pin. I fill my tires to 125# cold but also have tpms. They show 145-148# when travelling on the highway. Should I be worried?
2013 HD Ultra Limited
AlmostRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:59 PM   #26

Model: 36TK3
State: California
THOR #2059
Friction creates heat thus the increase pressure. 15-20% increase is normal for summer driving. As long as the tires are within several psi of each other all is normal. If you watch you can notice the tires on the "sunny side" will increase a few psi more.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:07 AM   #27

State: Texas
THOR #3109
Exactly as anijet has said. Keep the tires at 125 cold and they will be able to handle pressure/temp rises from friction. Trend lines of all 4 should be close--if one is out of whack, check it out.
My '15 is 20400 and easy to get to 140#+
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:49 AM   #28

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Boy! Didn't know this could be such a difficult topic to discuss, weighing tires, blindly adding air pressure, looking up charts/graphs & all the research required.
Most everyone on this particular thread, except me, own DRV 5ers with the IS suspension & not one of you would EVER notice a ride difference of 5 to 15 psi with that suspension. That same difference won't make any noticeable difference in tire wear in the 3 to 5 years those tires will be in service.
On a 20k+ 5er I'd be running the max air pressure & not worry one second about the ride in the 5er. Your adding nearly 5k pin weight onto your truck tires, but haven't mentioned all the formulas for adjusting pressure per tire there. Personally max there also.
Go enjoy the rv without worrying about that 5 psi+/- in a tire.
Now lets move on to some really serious subjects;
Carry guns or not?
What's the best rv tire?
The best tow vehicle?
Democrats or Republican?
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:48 AM   #29

THOR #3109
TT--
Takin' the fun out of a thread, eh?
But:
Yes, more the merrier
A round one
Mine
Neither, but you can get banned for discussing politics...
2017 F450 KR
Old 05-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #30

THOR #1661
"Personally max there also.
Now lets move on to some really serious subjects;"

So you are saying I should be running 80psi on the 4 rear tires on my DRW that has a loaded weight of 9,750# ?

No disrespect but maybe YOU should simply "move on".

The adding 5psi to what the tire weight is is directly from GY Tech Support. But hey let's just go MAX inflation on all our tires so we can concentrate on more serious matters.

There are people that like to know the PROPER way to do something and then there are those that say "that's good enough".
Old 05-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #31

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #10669
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Here's how things work in my world:
I run 110 lbs in my 3 axle tires. That is 5 lbs over what the goodyear load chart indicates. Rides smooth and wears good.
I can, and do, lift all of the tires off the ground using the levelup system. When in use I try and keep the legs as short as possible, by using blocks under rams. Better for stability. No rocking. When in storage I lift all tires off ground to unload suspension. Does that do any good? Don't know. The rams are rated to hold more than double the weight and it makes me feel good. If the rams aren't long enough for the terrain you happen to be on, put some blocks under them. Simple solution.

Bill
If you had a strong wind, it could bend the jacks.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:40 PM   #32

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Totally agree! Let's move on! They are tires, let's put some air in them & go somewhere!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #33

THOR #1661
"If you had a strong wind, it could bend the jacks."

Before building my support blocks I had been in VERY strong side winds up to 80mph with rams extended with zero issues other than it felt like we were going to get pushed over!
Old 05-25-2018, 08:41 PM   #34

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
If the wind blows hard enough to bend the jacks, the trailer would probably not be in the same zip code any longer, so mute point.
And I like talking about tires. You can move on if you don't. Problem solved. Maybe they talk about better stuff over at redwood?
Bill
Old 05-25-2018, 09:21 PM   #35

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatau1957 View Post
If you had a strong wind, it could bend the jacks.
I would think that the slides would be damaged or the trailer would move long before the jacks would bend. I have had the top of the slides move an inch in then go out in high winds. I closed it up and moved.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #36

Model: 39RESB3
State: Florida
THOR #5499
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I would think that the slides would be damaged or the trailer would move long before the jacks would bend. I have had the top of the slides move an inch in then go out in high winds. I closed it up and moved.
Now, that is scary! I would be moving as well!
juicesqueezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:43 AM   #37

THOR #3109
Had that on the kitchen slide also when in OKC just after the rally--closed it.
2017 F450 KR
Old 05-29-2018, 03:46 PM   #38

Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
"Personally max there also.
Now lets move on to some really serious subjects;"

So you are saying I should be running 80psi on the 4 rear tires on my DRW that has a loaded weight of 9,750# ?

No disrespect but maybe YOU should simply "move on".

The adding 5psi to what the tire weight is is directly from GY Tech Support. But hey let's just go MAX inflation on all our tires so we can concentrate on more serious matters.

There are people that like to know the PROPER way to do something and then there are those that say "that's good enough".
And then there is your way which is NEVER wrong. I happen to run max sidewall pressure (120 psi) on my trailer tires as I have 16K on those two axles. I also run max on my steer axle of 110 psi as the loaded weight without the trailer but with the smart car onboard is 12.8K on a 13.2K axle. The drive tires are reduced to 100 psi as the loaded weight on them is 19K. Those tires are rated to just over 23K and the rear axle rating is 23K.

There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to tires. Loads are different, altitude changes can affect the pressure as well as temp. Air those tires up in Yuma, AZ in the summer and then drive to Grand Junction, CO and see where your pressures are.

Tire construction, use, loading, speed and distance all affect tire longevity. In most cases, if the tire rating and the loading are somewhat close, a tire running the max sidewall pressure will run cooler and last longer that someone playing with the pressure to get a "better ride". As already noted on here, most of us are running IS suspensions that are very compliant with little, if any, noticeable difference in ride smoothness over a 10 to 15 psi increase or decrease in tire pressure.
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:07 PM   #39

THOR #1661
You stated MAX side wall pressure of 120psi, if you are referring to the stock GY "H" tires they are 125psi MAX.

"And then there is your way which is NEVER wrong"

Please tell me what I said was incorrect please.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #40

Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
Cummins, if ANYONE disagrees with you, you act like it is the end of the world. I just got tired of you berating people for having a different opinion on every subject that gets mentioned on here. Grow up, put your big girl panties on and get a life. You are the main reason I hardly ever get on this forum anymore and after being gone for 3 months, I see nothing has changed. This will be my last post about it.
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote