Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2015, 12:50 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RSSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #2116
Use of inverter with residential frig

We've had Paul & Kay Cross (Indiana Interstate Enterprise) install our new Samsung 197 residential frig & Xantrex Prosine Pure Sine Wave 1800W inverter last week. When plugged into good shore power, what are those of you with a similar setup doing with the inverter? On? Off? Standby?

So far I'm just turning the inverter off when plugged into shore power & ensuring it's on before we unplug & travel. I have experimented and left the inverter in standby. When we unplugged there was a lot of what I call "on-off-on, etc" by the inverter that, to me, seemed to indicate the inverter was just providing intermittent power to the frig. I wasn't comfortable that was good for the health of the frig. So, real interested to hear about others' experience & recommendations with these things.

Thanks!
David

davydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:39 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by davydee View Post
We've had Paul & Kay Cross (Indiana Interstate Enterprise) install our new Samsung 197 residential frig & Xantrex Prosine Pure Sine Wave 1800W inverter last week. When plugged into good shore power, what are those of you with a similar setup doing with the inverter? On? Off? Standby?

So far I'm just turning the inverter off when plugged into shore power & ensuring it's on before we unplug & travel. I have experimented and left the inverter in standby. When we unplugged there was a lot of what I call "on-off-on, etc" by the inverter that, to me, seemed to indicate the inverter was just providing intermittent power to the frig. I wasn't comfortable that was good for the health of the frig. So, real interested to hear about others' experience & recommendations with these things.

Thanks!
David
David,

I have a Whirlpool residential with an 1800 Watt inverter. When connected to shore power I turn the inverter off.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:03 AM   #3

Model: 41RSSB4
State: Texas
THOR #1669
Does the Zantrex inverter have a battery maintaining mode. I have the 2800 inverter from the factory and I leave it on and have unplugged my converter and let the Maginum 2800 take care of the batteries.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #4

Model: 36RSSB3
THOR #2116
I thought it did and did post that. Rereading the owner's manual, I didn't find that it had the capability to recharge the batteries & deleted my previous post. David
davydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:14 PM   #5
R12

Model: 2021 38RSSA
State: Florida
THOR #1922
I leave the inverter on. It goes into a transfer mode when plugged into AC and keeps me from forgetting to turn it on when traveling.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #6

Model: 38 RSSA
State: Florida
THOR #2055
I have the factory 2800 watt inverter and just leave it on. It takes care of business.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #7

THOR #1669
When we got our Mobile Suite with the Magnum 2800 inverter the factory had installed the converter on a circuit which was controlled by the inverter, the first time we used the inverter the batteries ran down very fast. I discovered the inverter was trying to power the converter which was trying to charge the batteries. A vicious circle. The factory said unplug the converter and let the inverter take care of the batteries when plugged in to shore power. I did and everything is works fine now.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:58 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
When we got our Mobile Suite with the Magnum 2800 inverter the factory had installed the converter on a circuit which was controlled by the inverter, the first time we used the inverter the batteries ran down very fast. I discovered the inverter was trying to power the converter which was trying to charge the batteries. A vicious circle. The factory said unplug the converter and let the inverter take care of the batteries when plugged in to shore power. I did and everything is works fine now.

Are you saying the Magnum 2800 is an inverter/charger with built-in automatic transfer switch, and that the converter is no longer needed to charge batteries?
Old 06-14-2015, 11:19 PM   #9

Model: 38RSB3
State: British Columbia
THOR #2087
I unplugged the converter months ago and have had no issues. The inverter is handling the charging of the batteries.
2015 DRV MS 38RSB3 #7272
MORryde IS, MORryde pinbox, Curt 24K hitch
Camr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #10

THOR #1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Are you saying the Magnum 2800 is an inverter/charger with built-in automatic transfer switch, and that the converter is no longer needed to charge batteries?
That is correct. Does a better job of maintaining the batteries than the converter