Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 2016 38rssa
State: Washington
THOR #3115
2800 inverter setup

Just checking to see how long you can go without charging your batteries with the refrigerator running . I have the 4 battery setup in our 2016 38rssa and it will need charging after 5-8 hours .

Old 09-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
unfortunately there's no 'guaranteed' time, or even 'standard' time, that a fridge will run off of your batteries - it depends on the temp in your coach, how much you have in the fridge, how often you open the doors, the temp you have it set at... etc etc... you get the picture. Plus, there ARE other things drawing from your batteries, including 12v items that you might not even realize are 'on', such as your water pump, when used, the co2 sensor and fire/smoke detector, phone and 120v device chargers plugged into outlets, etc.

many folks turn down their fridge temperature for the overnight hours when the doors won't be opened, or even turn it off completely since it will more than likely still keep everything cold until morning. some of us let our AGS(auto generator starter) keep the batteries charged when needed. We've never had our fridge off in over 3 years.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #3

THOR #3115
Ok, usually happens after stopping for the night and not hooking up to shore power. First warning is about 4:00 am when the detectors start chirping. I guess I will have to figure out hoe to set the auto gen start.thvanks bill
I can't imagine what good the 1000 watt inverter would be good for.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:25 PM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #3109
When I got the '15, it had the 1k Magnum that runs the fridge only. Didn't get out much until we sold the house. I added 2x12volts sealed batts in the basement and tied them into the 2 OEM batts. This would allow me to run all day and stop for the night. Next am, charge would be low enough to bother me, so on with the gen. 'Course having mis-matched batts didn't help, but already had them. Had solar installed with 4 Lifeline batts last Aug and so far, plenty of power 'cause still running the fridge only.
First thing I would do, if you don't want to get more sophisticated, is to upgrade all four batteries and make sure your converter/inverter (whichever) is putting out when on shore power. 4 good 6volts should go longer than 2 days, but you obviously have more stuff being powered since it is the 2800. I also don't think DRV is an expert on wiring for DC current...
Do you know for sure WHAT is tied into the inverter?
As mentioned above, easy to shut down the fridge for the night and see how that works--but first thing when you turn it back on, it is going to compress for quite some time depending on what temp you have it set. Also, easy to turn the freezer to 5d and interior to 38d to help some--might try that to see if it helps.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #5

THOR #3115
I assume the battery's are getting charge from the truck alternator while we are going down the road.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:06 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #3109
Yes, it is, but hardly enough to keep one up, let alone 4 batteries. The truck charging system is designed to maintain batteries that are well-charged and in good condition.
I have had 5 Ford trucks to tow with and they all barely could keep up--forget using anything in the trailer that is a big draw and hoping the batteries will charge back.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:08 AM   #7

Model: MS 38RSSA
THOR #3145
We have the four 6 volt flooded batteries with the Magnum 2800W inverter and the Cummins 5500W generator. I'm in the process of putting in 330W of solar panels, and in my investigations I discovered that we had a tremendous amount of parasitic draw from the microwave, the dishwasher, the fireplace(!?), both TVs and DVD players, the satellite dish, and a whole bunch of AC converters for the home entertainment system (it's obvious we really like to rough it when we go out "camping"). Anyways, I put all of these parasitic draws on power strips and turned them off while we were travelling. I also switched off the circuit breakers for the dishwasher and fireplace and pulled the plug on the microwave, so now it's mostly just the fridge drawing power. Before I did all this if we travelled all day the charger would start in BULK mode and then after about an half an hour go to ABSORB mode and then after another hour or so go to FLOAT mode. Now that I've shut down the parasitic draws when we travel all day the charger doesn't even start in BULK mode but instead goes straight to ABSORB and then to FLOAT in 30 to 45 minutes. When recently boondocking this really helped us cut down on generator run time. Once I get the solar up and running it should require even less generator time.

I also noticed while checking out the Magnum inverter setup that everything was set to the factory defaults, including the SHORE max amps, which is set at 30 amps. Since DRVs are 50 amp max I'm thinking of resetting this to 50. According to the Magnum manual this setting is used during charging and limits the amount of charging amps if the coach is drawing a lot of power (air conditioners, etc) during charging. It seems like setting to 50 should allow more charge amps (and thus less charge time) when large power draws are present. Has anyone out there tried this?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:08 AM   #8

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud william View Post
I also noticed while checking out the Magnum inverter setup that everything was set to the factory defaults, including the SHORE max amps, which is set at 30 amps. Since DRVs are 50 amp max I'm thinking of resetting this to 50. According to the Magnum manual this setting is used during charging and limits the amount of charging amps if the coach is drawing a lot of power (air conditioners, etc) during charging. It seems like setting to 50 should allow more charge amps (and thus less charge time) when large power draws are present. Has anyone out there tried this?
Try it.
I tend to agree with most of your observations and understanding of the charging systems. On the point of max charging rates bear in mind that the limiting factor would be more temperature (of the batteries). There rate of accepting charge is probably limited by ambient temp. The remote temp sensor of the Magnum will throttle it's output. Most battery charging of flooded and AGM cells are seriously limited > about 70*F let alone a warm basement area in triple digit climates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Yes, it is, but hardly enough to keep one up, let alone 4 batteries. The truck charging system is designed to maintain batteries that are well-charged and in good condition.
I have had 5 Ford trucks to tow with and they all barely could keep up--forget using anything in the trailer that is a big draw and hoping the batteries will charge back.
I've also noted that as far as extending refrig. run times. Just running of the hydraulics (leveling, slides) can lower my capacity from float, to initiate bulk charging when separated from shore power or generator power. I've not noted the TV (tow vehicle) being able to to do more than maintain a float charging current long term.
Be well
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote