Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2018, 02:54 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: MS Santa Fe
State: Texas
THOR #3647
Washer / Dryers

We currently use a Splendide Combo 2100XC - washer/dryer (seven years now, with excellent results.) We have a 2018 Santa Fe on order and have been looking at different washer/ dryers. Due to configuration of washer/dryer cabinet, it will have to be stackable type units. We are having a 220V outlet installed. Have looked at Whirlpool 7500 models (24" width) but it has very bad ratings. Splendide Ariston units - the dryer is 110V. Regular residential units or 27" in width and seem to be heavier.
What models are you using? 110V vs 220V for dryer good / bad? Problems you have had with the units you are using? Any Santa Fe owners, what washer/dryer have you used.

Thanks in Advance

Old 01-14-2018, 03:50 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Don't have a Santa Fe but do have the Splendide Ariston stackable pair, have used almost daily for the last 10 years with absolutely no issues.
As for your dealer adding 220 volt I'd like to know how they will manage that, I'd be a bit skeptical.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #3

Model: MS 40KSSB4
State: Colorado
THOR #10148
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson2909 View Post
We currently use a Splendide Combo 2100XC - washer/dryer (seven years now, with excellent results.) ... What models are you using? 110V vs 220V for dryer good / bad? Problems you have had with the units you are using? Any Santa Fe owners, what washer/dryer have you used.

Thanks in Advance
We don't have a Santa Fe, so please ignore this post if you don't find it useful.

We had a Ariston Splendide TVM63X(NA) Dryer & ARWXF129W(NA) Washer mounted side-by-side in our 40KSSB4 last July, 2017. The Dryer is 120v.

These can be stacked with the Optional RV/Marine Stacking Kit (SK02).

The small load size for both units does require more frequent washing compared to residential size units, and the dryer takes longer per load. But, for the space available, they are great. We've use ours almost daily during the last six months with no issues. And, we have used them while running the generator, which is handy.

I suspect a 240v version of the dryer (if available) would be faster since more energy is available, and would go that way if we were buying again if we could find one. I briefly looked on the Spendide web site, and did not see it offered these.

The only issue I could imagine is for those old parks who might not have properly wired their pedestals to have each leg of the 120V supplied on the 50 Amp circuit be on separate sides of the transformer taps thus yielding 220v between the two hot wires. I can't speak to if this is rare or not.

Also, using the dryer would not be possible if a "dog-bone" was used if only 120v service was available.

I would gladly take the above risks in order to have a 240v dryer with its ability to dry clothes faster. We are installing a normal residential washer / dryer in our casita at our winter RV lot to eliminate the load-size and drying-time issues during the months we are here.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #4

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson2909 View Post
We currently use a Splendide Combo 2100XC - washer/dryer (seven years now, with excellent results.) We have a 2018 Santa Fe on order and have been looking at different washer/ dryers. Due to configuration of washer/dryer cabinet, it will have to be stackable type units. We are having a 220V outlet installed. Have looked at Whirlpool 7500 models (24" width) but it has very bad ratings. Splendide Ariston units - the dryer is 110V. Regular residential units or 27" in width and seem to be heavier.
What models are you using? 110V vs 220V for dryer good / bad? Problems you have had with the units you are using? Any Santa Fe owners, what washer/dryer have you used.

Thanks in Advance
The Whirlpool washer is a POS. The Dryer is fine. I replaced the washer with a Bosch 220V model 500. I tapped the dryer outlet for the washer. If I had a Bosch dryer the washer would plug into it.

1.5 years off full time use the Bosch is AWESOME!!!

Be sure to get a 220V gen! I have the Cummins 6500lp Commercial 220V.

Start off right and get the Bosch washer and dryer you will not regret it.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:57 PM   #5

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Don't have a Santa Fe but do have the Splendide Ariston stackable pair, have used almost daily for the last 10 years with absolutely no issues.
As for your dealer adding 220 volt I'd like to know how they will manage that, I'd be a bit skeptical.
Why would you be skeptical?

Alicia at Rolling Retreats was the one adding this to her units. ONLY issue was the Gen unless ordered as a Commercial 220v would not run the dryer. So along with my help and a member Chris Bryant that pointed out the gen's would not work I did the leg work with Cummins/Onan and that is why she offers the Commercial gen on her orders.

This is what mine looked like before I added the 220V for the washer. This came from DRV looking like this.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:49 PM   #6

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
People who do not understand things are always skeptical. Luckily there are those of us who do know and are glad to help.
We purchased a new Santa Fe from a dealers lot this summer and love it. It did not come from the factory with the 250v outlet, but I installed it myself. We were used to the Splendide side by sides but wanted a full size residential unit this time. Purchased a Fridgidaire FFLE4033QW from a local dealer and had it delivered to the RV. They delivered it inside right where I requested and then I measured locations for the power and vent. Start to finish I spent a leisurely 6 hours over 3 days hooking it all up and sliding it in place. Boss lady loves it and that makes life good for me.
I do know the factory will install the outlet upon order. You need a NEMA 14-30R, 4 wire device. 2 hots, neutral + ground. Vent it out to the left over the top of the water heater. If you do boondock, follow Cummins advice and get a 240 volt gen set. If not forget the gen, like most of us do and give your partner a day off from laundry.
We put on more than 20,000 miles per year and have never needed a gen.
Yes, you will find some old parks where they actually do not supply a proper 240 volt connection. Few and far between but they exist. Your power management system will recognize them as a 30 amp 120 volt connection and everything in your trailer will work just fine except your dryer. And the full size electric oven that your wife wants. Ain't happening in this trailer. Good luck with your new rig and I hope you are as happy as we have been with ours.

PS=The macerator toilet takes some getting used to and you will have to get used to dumping more often, Uses a lot of water but should never ever plug.

Bill
Old 01-14-2018, 11:01 PM   #7

THOR #3610
Oh, but I do understand, I'm skeptical because most dealers couldn't wire in a 12 volt light correctly let alone some high voltage dryer plug.
Also if the OP had the combo previously the rv stackable/side by side would be a night/day improvement. We had the combo in our last 5er & yes it worked, took 1/2 a day to do 1 load & the other 1/2 a day to iron EVERYTHING that came out.
Replacement undetermined
Old 01-14-2018, 11:34 PM   #8

Model: ES 38RSSA
THOR #5034
We don't have a Santa Fe, so please ignore this post if you don't find it useful.
We have an Ariston Splendide TVMxxx Dryer & ARWXFxxx Washer mounted with the Optional RV/Marine Stacking Kit in our 38RSSA by DRV in 2017 model. The Dryer is 240v. No complaints as of yet, would repeat again.
We typically only frequent 50A FHUs, and to date have only experienced one (in perhaps 20) that had an issue. CG management was able to correct the issue by moving their pedestals breaker that had been inserted incorrectly after a repair.
We'd pretty much mimic Porkchop / Cummins sentiments.
Be well.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:12 AM   #9

THOR #2053
TT=Pretty sure the OP said he was having the factory install the outlet. You need to start hanging out with better more qualified people if all the ones you know are that bad. The good ones don't really charge that much more. Maybe then you wouldn't be that skeptical, or negative all the time.

Bill
Old 01-15-2018, 04:06 AM   #10

THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
TT=Pretty sure the OP said he was having the factory install the outlet. You need to start hanging out with better more qualified people if all the ones you know are that bad. The good ones don't really charge that much more. Maybe then you wouldn't be that skeptical, or negative all the time.

Bill
Pardon me for interrupting, not everyone can be perfect!!!!
Replacement undetermined
Old 01-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #11

THOR #2053
Well, work on it some. You too have the ability. It's a wonderful feeling to breath the rare air.

Bill
Old 01-15-2018, 09:28 PM   #12

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Well, work on it some. You too have the ability. It's a wonderful feeling to breath the rare air.

Bill
Old 01-16-2018, 08:11 PM   #13

Model: 36rssb
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3288
drv put in washer and 220 dryer at drv for me last year..Whirpool washer replaced after 2 loads of wash.Door switch is main problem with whirlpool washer.2018 36rssb.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #14

THOR #1661
My Whirlpool washer was random about removing water. I waited too long to file a claim. Oh well the Bosch 220V washer puts the Whirlpool to shame!
Old 01-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #15

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
We have had 2 different Spendid washer and dryer units (110) in RVs. They were great. Our current new RV came with Whirlpool units. They do not get good reviews and we had a factory service tech out within the first month. The washer seems to be good now.

If you are using your RV as a stationary home (ie, trailer park) then I suspect it could be beneficial to have 220 installed and some type of residential washer/dryer installed. But if you are an RVer, ie. actually travel, then you had better stick with what is designed for handling the bouncing and banging down the road.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #16

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
The Whirlpool washer is a POS. The Dryer is fine. I replaced the washer with a Bosch 220V model 500. I tapped the dryer outlet for the washer. If I had a Bosch dryer the washer would plug into it.

1.5 years off full time use the Bosch is AWESOME!!!

Be sure to get a 220V gen! I have the Cummins 6500lp Commercial 220V.

Start off right and get the Bosch washer and dryer you will not regret it.

I assume you use your RV as a stationary apartment in a trailer court? If you have ever rumbled across country with it report back how long that residential made appliance works.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #17

THOR #2053
There seems to be a misconception about Splendid being made for the RV market. It is not. It is a European model made for apartment use. It simply started being used in RV's because of the small size.
My unit is anything but stationary. We travel in excess of 20,000 miles per year and have never had a problem of any kind with our 240 volt Frigidaire unit. Other DRV owners have had the same experience. Maybe your Thor coach just rides too rough?

Bill
Old 01-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #18

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
I assume you use your RV as a stationary apartment in a trailer court? If you have ever rumbled across country with it report back how long that residential made appliance works.
I do stay for a few months at a time in CA and WA but I have traveled at least 15K with this set up with ZERO issues. Yes all across the US from Indiana West in every horrible road condition you can imagine.

The front load washers have a hell of a shock/vibration system in them already so I don't see an issue.

Same goes for the KitchenAid residential refrigerator.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:39 AM   #19

Model: ES 38RSSA
THOR #5034
Quote:
There seems to be a misconception about Splendid being made for the RV market. It is not. It is a European model made for apartment use. It simply started being used in RV's because of the small size.
My unit is anything but stationary. We travel in excess of 20,000 miles per year and have never had a problem of any kind with our 240 volt Frigidaire unit. Other DRV owners have had the same experience. Maybe your Thor coach just rides too rough?
Bill
Good point on the Ariston being the number one selling appliance brand in Europe. As you note many Europeans do live in far more compact dwelling. Another market served is the marine industry. The first Ariston's I witnessed decades ago were onboard rather expensive yachts. They have good installation fittings / adapters available for diverse installs also. IMO
BTW: approx. 8K mi. annually traveled not quite stationaary either.
Peace.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote