Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2017, 06:03 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
Water entry control valve

OK, having solved my last dilemma involving water with your help, I face another perplexing problem----how does the water line entry valve actually work? I believe it is referred to as an "Anderson" valve?
One spot--sanitize and winterize, self-explanatory?
Another--normal?
Another--city fixtures?
And, finally--city flil/tank?

And, yep, I looked thru the supremely-detailed Owners Manual--it is so out-of-date it refers to the open-throat way that was used on my '05 as to filling the tank...

So, I have the water hooked up ----and yes, it is turned on at the tap--and have water to the unit as it should be with the control placed on city fixtures.
What does the 'normal' position do?

I cannot believe that after owning an '05 for 9 years, I am so behind on technology and system operations. Have been used to helping other on the older units, it is embarrassing to be asking all these stupid questions.

Thanks,
Joe78

Old 05-29-2017, 07:48 PM   #2

Model: 39DBRS3
State: Arizona
THOR #5464
Joe, It is a Anderson Valve. Normal is for the pump, the others are as labeled tank fill, city water and winterize. One thing to be careful of is not to change position on the valve while there is pressure from the city source, it can blow the o rings in the valve. If you go the the Anderson web site there is a good explanation. Also you can order a replacement cartridge, which is a improved design. If you have water seeping into the tank when you are on city water you need the new cartridge. Dick
Old 05-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #3

THOR #3109
Thank you for the response--so, when on normal, I can use the pump?
And when on city water, but not to fill the tank, use the city fixtures?
And, if I have city water hooked up, and want to fill the water tank, use the fill tank?
Thanks also for the headsup on not switching the valve under pressure, and the available replacement parts.
Joe
Old 05-30-2017, 01:24 AM   #4

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Sounds like you have it.
FWIW:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AndersonRVvalve_San.pdf (1,018.7 KB, 184 views)
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:56 PM   #5

THOR #3109
mtntrek,
Thanks, that will help a lot to prevent me from asking before checking.
I do have a wonderment in having the fresh water tank use labeled "normal"--its as if they expect everyone to fill the tank and run off it all the time. Normal to me is city water...even tho I have not connected to water a lot in the past.
Maybe they should have used 'Normal' 'Abnormal' and 'Weird'.....
Joe
Old 05-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #6

THOR #5464
Just talked to Jared at Anderson Valve. He cracked up when I asked him about changing the valve position while under pressure. He said that is a story that has been on the internet for a couple of years. (if it is on the internet it must be true, no?) The valves are rated at 100 psi and there is no need to turn off the city water. He went on to say all the cartridges they have inspected were damaged by sand entering from the water supply, and they recommend a filter prior to the valve.

Second is you cannot purchase a replacement cartridge from them, you must go through one of their suppliers. On the west coast is is Pacific Supply (818) 989-7055. The part number is 200RVRK. They are $31.00. I have 2 on the way. Hope this information helps. Dick
Old 05-30-2017, 07:21 PM   #7

Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobi, Dick and Ruby McKee View Post
Just talked to Jared at Anderson Valve. He cracked up when I asked him about changing the valve position while under pressure. He said that is a story that has been on the internet for a couple of years. (if it is on the internet it must be true, no?) The valves are rated at 100 psi and there is no need to turn off the city water. He went on to say all the cartridges they have inspected were damaged by sand entering from the water supply, and they recommend a filter prior to the valve.

Second is you cannot purchase a replacement cartridge from them, you must go through one of their suppliers. On the west coast is is Pacific Supply (818) 989-7055. The part number is 200RVRK. They are $31.00. I have 2 on the way. Hope this information helps. Dick
LOL, I have been moving mine under pressure since we bought the trailer. Never heard of the other story until this thread.
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:43 PM   #8

Model: 38RSSA MS
State: Washington
THOR #5214
While we were at Rolling Retreats having some work done Slade mentioned to me that we should not change the valve while under city pressure. He said it was a PITA to change out if it fails. I hadn't heard that but have been careful not to since...but we now have a slow leak from the valve while connected to city pressure. We have an appointment tomorrow in Junction City to take care of a couple of warranty issues. I will have them inspect the valve system while there.
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:48 PM   #9

THOR #5464
I changed the cartridge in ours yesterday. It is about a 15 minute deal. You don't change the valve just the cartridge. There is a video on the Anderson site that shows how to do it. Dick
Old 06-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #10

Model: 38RSSA MS
State: Washington
THOR #5214
Nice to know Dick....thanks. Was your leaking while connected to city water?
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #11

THOR #5464
Yup it would slowly fill the fresh water tank. When I took it out 2 of the O rings were destroyed. The guy at Anderson Valve said the highly recommend a filter prior to the valve to catch any small sand etc that might be entering the valve and destroying the O rings.

BTW if you call Anderson they will give you the # of the closest supplier for the cartridge. Ours arrived in 2 days.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #12

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobi, Dick and Ruby McKee View Post
I changed the cartridge in ours yesterday. It is about a 15 minute deal. You don't change the valve just the cartridge. There is a video on the Anderson site that shows how to do it. Dick
I agree, I have changed mine out also, as a seal blew. They told me that they updated that valve and sent me a new stem. I think I posted a thread about it.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:56 PM   #13

Model: 44' Santa Fe
THOR #2053
I have the Anderson valve on my brand new 44 Santa Fe. The only place the word "normal" is used is on the water heater bypass selector. "normal" & "bypass" The water valve does not say normal anywhere. The water pump works with the valve set on "city fixtures", Sanitize/winterize", "city fill tank". Experimenting today and the pump will run regardless of the position of the selector. Also says "max pressure 100 lbs."

Bill
Old 06-06-2017, 11:11 PM   #14

THOR #5464
Porkchop looks like they came out with a new set up that would be a welcome improvement. On their web site all their valve sets still show a normal position for the supply valve.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:59 PM   #15

THOR #3109
So far, my water pump only picks up when set to the 'normal' position. In any other position, it runs on, doesn't pump and doesn't pressure up.
????
But, surviving so far with the first week living in it.

Joe
Old 06-08-2017, 12:05 AM   #16

Model: 44' Santa Fe
THOR #2053
I agree. They appear to have changed the valve, or at least the wording on the label. Seems to be a little less confusing now.

Bill
Old 06-21-2019, 08:11 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #5803
Thumbs up Water entry control valve

My 5th wheel is a 2018 DRV 36RSSB. The Anderson Water Valve is a bit different. The fill valve appears to be the same with the same 4 labels including "NORMAL" in the 9:00 position. However, the water heater valve is different. There is no "SANITIZE TANK" position in the 3:00 position. This apparently means I will not be able to Sanitize/Winterize the tanks. Seems unreasonable. I'll check Anderson's website for an updated pdf file.

One question that I didn't see asked or answered in this thread so far: Does it matter which direction you rotate the valve handles? I'd guess no, but I'd rather ask & not bust something.

I'm now new to 5th wheels, but I am quite new to all the new technology. My DRV is wonderful, but, oh, so complex in many areas.