Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2019, 10:07 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSSA
State: Florida
THOR #2055
220v dryer

Kicking around ideas for a new build. I know that you need a 220 volt gennie for off shore powet use. My question is when on shore power 50 amp does dryer run without issue ie using ac at same time. Any info is welcome I always had 110 volt dryers in rv.

Old 07-30-2019, 04:32 AM   #2

Model: 36rssb
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3288
220 dryer

I run my 220 dryer and 3 air conditioners all at the same time without any trouble.I do not have a genny.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:20 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
you're ability to power any 240v device in your RV from '50amp RV service' will be determined by whether your Main Panel in your RV provides for double-pole breakers for individual circuits, which most don't.

The vast majority of RVs have a 'split' Main Panel, if they have 50amp service, since the RV doesn't use 240v power, only 120v power to each individual circuit - the incoming Red and Black power wires from the 50amp shore cord are 'split' to each side of the panel, and do not allow the combining of the two, which a 240v device or appliance needs.

Some larger motorcoaches, and possibly special built RVs, have 240v panels, but also 240v output generators, which are typically 10kw or higher, and which would be needed if you ever were to power the 240v appliance while running it.

It's certainly not out of the question to want to be able to make use of a 'standard' 240v dryer, but it takes a lot more than just installing it in the coach.

enjoy : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:12 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Two Xantrex sw3012 inverters will stack to give you 150 or 300 amp battery charging and 240v pure sine from a 12v battery bank.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #5

THOR #2055
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
I run my 220 dryer and 3 air conditioners all at the same time without any trouble.I do not have a genny.
Was your 220 dryer installed when the coach was built. I am looking at one with a 220 dryer install from the factory.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:18 PM   #6

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Well, 1/2 of your answers were from people who do not have DRV's and know little about them. If you are going to try and run a dryer off of a battery bank you need to clean out the basement and fill it with batteries. Then maybe you could get a load dry.

The answer to your question is a simple YES. We run all 3 a/c's and the dryer at the same time with no problems while being plugged in. We do not have a generator but my understanding is the factory will NOT install a 240v gen set. Have no idea why but I do know several dealers will.

The simplest way to tell if your existing panel will accept 2 pole breakers to supply 240v is to look where the existing 50 amp breaker is. If it is in the center, then NO. 120v each way from it. If it is on either end, YES you can install a 2 pole and come up with 240v.

My trailer came from the factory with the main in the center, but it was full with no room to add anything anyway. It originally had a 120v outlet for the dryer. I simply purchased the correct panel from the internet and added it next to the original, put in a new wire to the dryer location and was good to go. Less than $100 in materials and a long day to finish. Works great. Would never go back to a 120v dryer.

Drv will install the 240v outlet and all from the factory during a build but like I said you are on your own for the generator. We don't boondock and I can't imagine being in a big enough rush to dry clothes that I would spend north of $5000 to install a generator, but that's just me. Good luck in your choice.

Bill
Old 07-30-2019, 07:55 PM   #7

THOR #4735
Bill, well maybe.... but I have a Main Panel, with the 50amp double-pole main breakers all the way on the left, yet it DOES NOT accept double-pole breakers on the individual circuits - it is built by Progressive Dynamics/Industries as a custom Main Panel, with an integrater 'Inverter' sub-panel, which is the far right set of breakers, with it's 'main feed' breaker from the Inverter fed 'backwards' and into it's own power bus.

So, no, the stance that simply 'if' your main panel has it's main breakers at a certain 'place' then it must be this or that, will not hold up : ) Have fun!
Old 07-30-2019, 07:58 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Mine was supplementary information.
Some of us do not have budget or imagination constraints when simply thinking about designing a new build.
Contemplating any new build should require contemplating all available resources to answer any potential need.
And I missed where he said he was building any particular coach or trailer, and it appears he can afford a generator.

Knowledgeable folk know that the sw3012 or sw3000 system will pull from your inverter when hooked to shore power or generator so the the inverter keeps the needed incoming amps available no matter the weakness or sudden voltage drop by shore power or generator. 10ms switch, you won't even see it happen....

Commonality is... Common.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:03 PM   #9

THOR #2053
"AS A CUSTOM" There you have it.
Progressive makes the vast majority of STANDARD panels in rv's.

Bill
Old 07-30-2019, 08:06 PM   #10

THOR #4735
it's a 'custom' product, under their 'custom products' on their website - not a 'custom' only for a single person. It's also in every Palazzo manufactured, as I'm sure many others.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:19 AM   #11

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Mine was supplementary information.
Some of us do not have budget or imagination constraints when simply thinking about designing a new build.
Contemplating any new build should require contemplating all available resources to answer any potential need.
And I missed where he said he was building any particular coach or trailer, and it appears he can afford a generator.

Knowledgeable folk know that the sw3012 or sw3000 system will pull from your inverter when hooked to shore power or generator so the the inverter keeps the needed incoming amps available no matter the weakness or sudden voltage drop by shore power or generator. 10ms switch, you won't even see it happen....

Commonality is... Common.
This is why it was posted in the DRV section not in the general section under modifications and update section.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:26 AM   #12

Model: 36rssb
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3288
220 dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by retispcsi View Post
Was your 220 dryer installed when the coach was built. I am looking at one with a 220 dryer install from the factory.
Yes 220 dryer was installed when built from the factory. its a 2018 D.R.V. 36RSSB3.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:33 AM   #13

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
Yes 220 dryer was installed when built from the factory. its a 2018 D.R.V. 36RSSB3.
Many people have had a 220 circuit wired for a 220 dryer installed.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:34 AM   #14

THOR #2055
Thanks everyone got it figured out.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:45 PM   #15

THOR #2053
"Every Palazzo" That's why he asked in a DRV forum a question about DRV's. Answers about a different manuf are of no help and are in fact misleading and confusing.

Bill
Old 07-31-2019, 05:46 PM   #16

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
I even have a 240V BOSCH 500 dryer that runs with the 240V dryer and all three AC's no issue!

I have the 6500 Commercial Gen 240V. I was the first to do so. DRV no way no how would allow CUMMINS to install it even if I signed a waiver and paid CUMMINS direct. I had Slade at Rolling Retreats do the install.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:47 PM   #17

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I even have a 240V BOSCH 500 dryer that runs with the 240V dryer and all three AC's no issue!

I have the 6500 Commercial Gen 240V. I was the first to do so. DRV no way no how would allow CUMMINS to install it even if I signed a waiver and paid CUMMINS direct. I had Slade at Rolling Retreats do the install.
It’s about time that you chimed in.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:53 PM   #18

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Kicking around ideas for a new build. I know that you need a 220 volt gennie for off shore powet use. My question is when on shore power 50 amp does dryer run without issue ie using ac at same time. Any info is welcome I always had 110 volt dryers in rv.
Yes, no problem with a 50 amp service to use A/C and Dryer both at the same time.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #19

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Well I guess for starters I better go unplug my RV and undo my 240 Cheapheat wired in from the panel with the main in the center

Will also have to advise my wife to stop running the dryer when not plugged in

When we built the trailer I considered the 240 volt option. But in the 9 years previous with a 120 volt Splendide combo we never felt a need for more current capability. Don't know if a 240 dryer would have worked better but I do know that:
a) our combo dried the clothes just fine
b) it would run when on 30 amp service, which we are on maybe 1/3 of our trips
c) it would also run on the 5500 gasoline gen that came standard with our rig
d) it would run on my 3000 watt pure sine inverter, which we frequently did when leaving camp.

And from experience I can tell you that sometimes the clothes were so hot coming out of the dryer you'd almost think a match would light off if you touched it to the jeans riviets.

On this build the 240 gens didn't fit our need or budget. I wanted diesel and the 8KW was the best choice all around but only 120 volt. It will run all three AC's and everything else in the trailer.

And I still haven't found that side by side comparison of 120 versus 240 dryers in a RV.

The 240 may be more efficient in actual use, but for us efficiency is being able to run the the dryer everywhere and anywhere.

If I was to order a new RV I might op for the 240 outlet, as it is way easier to pay for it and let it be done during the build. That way you have choices.

BTW, if you op for the Magnum MSH3012 inverter you can also run the the 120 volt dryer on a 20 amp circuit (with decent batteries).

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #20

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
It’s about time that you chimed in.
I like to let the Minions chime in first.