Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer50 View Post
Just a curious question.

I wonder how many people put this much effort into their home electric water heaters?
I will flush mine every few years - when I think about it But that is a natural gas unit. Still get some crude out of it, since the drain is at the bottom.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #22

Model: 38RSSA
State: Ontario
THOR #5001
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKnative View Post
Can anyone tell me if my 2014 Hurricane would have an Atwood water heater and if it does or doesn’t have an anode? I can’t find this information anywhere in my manuals or paperwork. Sometimes it seems to be taking a lot longer for the water heater to light when on gas. I don’t keep water heated all the time since I mostly dry camp and I don’t use the electric setting.
All of the Atwood heaters that I have encountered have had a plastic drain plug. The tanks are made from aluminum and do not use a sacrificial anode.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #23

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer50 View Post
Just a curious question.

I wonder how many people put this much effort into their home electric water heaters?
I never did. But now the new ones are glass lined.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:32 AM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3772
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Pull the drain plug of the heater. I would think most water heaters use use a drain plug anode combo. Post a pic of the water heater also.
I have pulled out the plug several times to drain and flush the water heater tank. There isn’t anything attached to it. (I have tried to attach photos on here but without success)
Old 07-12-2018, 01:33 AM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3772
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKnative View Post
I have pulled out the plug several times to drain and flush the water heater tank. There isn’t anything attached to it. (I have tried to attach photos on here but without success)
I just looked at the outside panel of the water heater and it is an Atwood.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:09 PM   #26

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oklahoma
THOR #6418
If you are not waiting till the anode rod looks like the used one in this photo, you are wasting money. They usually last 3 years or more.

https://www.campingworld.com/suburba...iABEgLbU_D_BwE

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #27

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Longevity is dependent upon where you rv at and how much hot water used. I'll guarantee you won't get more than 1 year in either Texas or Arizona.

Bill
Old 07-16-2018, 02:22 AM   #28

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMor View Post
If you are not waiting till the anode rod looks like the used one in this photo, you are wasting money. They usually last 3 years or more.

Frank
I replaced mine like pictured in the first post. One time it was worse. The longer you let it go to the condition you linked, the bottom of the water heater will have a TON of debris in the bottom of it. I pulled it once like you had pictured and I think I spent an hour flushing it out getting all of the crap sitting in the bottom of the water heater. To me it is a lot easier to replace a $12 part a couple of times a year at most vs replacing heater elements or even the water heater after a couple of years. I fulltime in my unit and use hot water everyday.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:27 AM   #29
MnP

Model: 38RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #2069
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I replaced mine like pictured in the first post. One time it was worse. The longer you let it go to the condition you linked, the bottom of the water heater will have a TON of debris in the bottom of it. I pulled it once like you had pictured and I think I spent an hour flushing it out getting all of the crap sitting in the bottom of the water heater. To me it is a lot easier to replace a $12 part a couple of times a year at most vs replacing heater elements or even the water heater after a couple of years. I fulltime in my unit and use hot water everyday.
X2 I do ours every 6 months. But we do spend most of the year in areas with very hard water.
MnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:01 AM   #30

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnP View Post
X2 I do ours every 6 months. But we do spend most of the year in areas with very hard water.
I have been replacing ours every 6 months also.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #31

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMor View Post

Frank
The anode in that picture is well past it's protection point. About half way and they should be replaced.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote