Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2017, 05:10 AM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrek View Post
B&W is indeed a fine product for the Ram. If they want to sell products for American trucks, offer them for all of them.
Be well.
Correction: in all fairness I was at the B&W site today and noted they now sell a #3700 Companion that is to fit the factory puck below bed bracket on GM (A FOMOCO model too) that's good news. I couldn't find the specs (puck 22"x19") on the mounting hardware though, but it wasn't offered when I outfitted our truck.
I believe the FOMOCO puck is the Reese Elite sized bracket, GM had used Curt products and didn't offer a puck in '16, but unsure what they offer '17- now.
I still don't care for the turn over ball adapter config. / VS puck type JMO

Be well.

DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #22

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
"B&W is indeed a fine product for the Ram. If they want to sell products for American trucks, offer them for all of them."

They do sell for all 3. They don't feel they can rate the puck hitches for the GM and Ford for more than 20K because of the mounting.

Same exact system on the RAM is rated for 25K. Difference is the puck systems.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #23

State: Texas
THOR #3109
Isn't the Ford-supplied Reese hitch rated for 25k?

'16 Superdutys rated 26-31k towing...
'17 Superdutys rated 27-32k towing...

Doesn't make much sense that Ford would rate the trucks higher than the OEM hitch would bear. Also, don't see any *footnote that says less if using the factory mounts.

If you got that from B&W, would like for them to come out and say it, or tell us who told you about it.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #24

THOR #5493
What hitch to get.

What I heard was that the Ram puck system has a wider stance than the Ford which is true. This allowed them to rate the Ram hitch at 25k. I would guess B&W will come out with a 25k hitch for the Ford soon. They might a great hitch.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:26 AM   #25
MnP

Model: 38RSSB3
THOR #2069
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Isn't the Ford-supplied Reese hitch rated for 25k?

'16 Superdutys rated 26-31k towing...
'17 Superdutys rated 27-32k towing...

Doesn't make much sense that Ford would rate the trucks higher than the OEM hitch would bear. Also, don't see any *footnote that says less if using the factory mounts.

If you got that from B&W, would like for them to come out and say it, or tell us who told you about it.
B&W told me that the reason for the higher rating of their hitch on the Ram vs the Ford is the wider stance of the Ram pucks.

Mike
2014 MS 38RSSB3
Old 09-27-2017, 02:54 AM   #26

THOR #3109
Just makes me wonder how the Reese with the same stance in a Ford will handle 25k on the same underframe setup?
But, don't doubt the B&W guys, they make good stuff--on my 3rd Companion.
2017 F450 KR
Old 09-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #27
MnP

Model: 38RSSB3
THOR #2069
I guess they are just being cautious. I too am on my 3rd Companion. Have used the same head on all three but have upgraded the base for greater capacity or in this case to get the puck system on my 2016 F350.

Mike
2014 MS 38RSSB3
Old 09-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #28

THOR #1661
B&W is VERY conservative with their ratings. Anyone can rate their products to anything they want. Andersen had to re engineer their Aluminum Ultimate because they were folding under hard braking. Still, look at their hitch and look at the B&W there is really no way the Andersen can handle the same loads but they have "rated" them to do so.

I was very surprised GM engineered their puck to be so narrow similar to Ford's front to back dimensions.

Anyone engineering a product has a "factor" as in let's say B&W's fails at 35K they sure don't rate it at that. These hitches don't fail at the rating like some think they do.

B&W said "we rate to the lowest component" take that for what it's worth.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #29

THOR #3109
Well, Ron, guess you would say that is my truck..
2017 F450 KR
Old 09-27-2017, 09:11 PM   #30

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
B&W is VERY conservative with their ratings. Anyone can rate their products to anything they want. Andersen had to re engineer their Aluminum Ultimate because they were folding under hard braking. Still, look at their hitch and look at the B&W there is really no way the Andersen can handle the same loads but they have "rated" them to do so.
Agreed.
Now granted I've never pulled with a AU. It is hard for me to believe they can live up to all the testimony especially on all but the lighter trailers. The design and adapters etc. might lend themselves to weekend warriors but they'd never make me feel warm and fuzzy.
I don't buy into any of the turn over ball adapters that would use any of the truck bed for support. The bed if even touching should be shimmed only and be sandwiched with positive frame mounted hardware. But to each their own.
Be well.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #31

THOR #1661
My 18K B&W Companion sat on the bed and DID cause bed deflection towing at it's upper limits. They sent me a new base as it bent and spacers that directed the weight to the cross members. It worked well after.

Then they created the 20K Companion that has a spacer system and it works well.

Andersen DOES set on the bed and DOES cause deflection towing heavy RV's. IMHO the Andersen is a fine hitch but should be used with RV's in the 3500SRW class and below.