Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #14686
If there was ONE design item in a DRV that you would change...

As I mentioned in another post, we’re looking for a 2015 or newer 44 Houston. While the question isn’t necessarily specific to this model, what’s the one thing that bothers you about the DRV products that if you could change, you would? Thanks.

Jim

Old 03-15-2019, 01:07 AM   #2

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
Not sure there are design 'flaws' but more so quality control/lack of management oversight to let product leave factory with so many defects. I can't think of any other industry/company that could survive with the problem units they produce. Yet, thousands of people keep buying the products in spite of all the negative reports of current owners.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:18 AM   #3

Model: Memphis
State: South Dakota
THOR #2341
The continuous water leaks...
Old 03-15-2019, 03:54 AM   #4

Model: MSA 40
State: North Dakota
THOR #10945
Lack of good seals, mostly on the slides. Too many water leaks and rotted floors.

Dave
Old 03-15-2019, 06:36 AM   #5

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Not sure there are design 'flaws' but more so quality control/lack of management oversight to let product leave factory with so many defects. I can't think of any other industry/company that could survive with the problem units they produce. Yet, thousands of people keep buying the products in spite of all the negative reports of current owners.
You should read other 5ver forums. They are the best built in the high end 5vers besides the full on 200k and up ones.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #6

THOR #14686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
The continuous water leaks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultratravler View Post
Lack of good seals, mostly on the slides. Too many water leaks and rotted floors.

Dave

Thanks. When you refer to water leaks, are they in the same context as the seals on the slides, or are these leaks as in hose fittings (water tank), or water service panels (i.e. Anderson, B&B Nautilus, etc.), or are they two separate issues that just happen to be water related?
Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 PM   #7

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by A207X2 View Post
Thanks. When you refer to water leaks, are they in the same context as the seals on the slides, or are these leaks as in hose fittings (water tank), or water service panels (i.e. Anderson, B&B Nautilus, etc.), or are they two separate issues that just happen to be water related?
The water leaks are mostly from the slides picture frames. The caulk cracks letting water in. And then the floor will rot out. Many of the Kantleaks leak. I’m sure it is not just DRV.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #8

THOR #14686
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
The water leaks are mostly from the slides picture frames. The caulk cracks letting water in. And then the floor will rot out. Many of the Kantleaks leak. I’m sure it is not just DRV.

Thanks. Unfortunately, VERY familiar with the Kantleak. Last year I tore mine down, went to ACE hardware and basically rebuilt one out of brass. I now see that Anderson just came out with an all brass one, so they learned their lesson.

Is it easy to get to the slide picture frames to re-caulk them, or is it difficult to access, thus nobody does it?
Old 03-15-2019, 09:36 PM   #9

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Add backing to where there is simply nothing substantial to screw to.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:01 AM   #10

THOR #3109
Ryan, perhaps I didn't state it correctly, but was referring to industry in general, not just DRV. Still, accepting that they are the 'best available, just fix what isn't right' doesn't seem to be the best way to look at purchasing an RV.
2017 F450 KR
Old 03-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #11

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
Quote:
Ryan, perhaps I didn't state it correctly, but was referring to industry in general, not just DRV. Still, accepting that they are the 'best available, just fix what isn't right' doesn't seem to be the best way to look at purchasing an RV.

Repeat after me "I AM MY OWN WARRANTY STATION"
Old 03-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #12

THOR #11383
Quote:
Not sure there are design 'flaws' but more so quality control/lack of management oversight to let product leave factory with so many defects.
For a good start and a simple step.

One step is to buy a vacuum cleaner and let Quality Control use. That would force Quality to look everywhere for defects. Then take the RV for a 20 mile ride, followed by letting management see if Quality Control did a good job.
Second, starting in 2015 Thor did not do any favors buying the fixtures, but presently I think that is corrected.

Clay
Old 03-16-2019, 11:39 PM   #13

THOR #1658
Quote:
I do not disagree. But if all dogs have flees and I wanted to buy one. I would want the one with the least flees. I agree completely that poor workmanship is not expectable. Slade has said that he has been seeing less issues. Did you hear about RR and RV4less have been thinking of opening a shop close to the factory to do there own PDI’s before they took the long journey?
Old 03-17-2019, 12:50 AM   #14

THOR #3109
Don't know about the RR and RV4Less deal, but a Cleburne TX dealer is going to open a PDI shop of his own up there to inspect his shipments, and also building a 100-bay shop in Cleburne for all makes for service.
Big need for all this, but how to make it pay for the dealer--aside from fewer defects? Is the customer going to be charged for some of the better PDI, or the dealer, or the mfg?
2017 F450 KR
Old 03-17-2019, 01:58 AM   #15

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Of course the customer will pay for it!! Ever seen a real free lunch? That's not a slam against DRV or any retailers. It's simply business 101.

Bill
Old 03-17-2019, 02:01 AM   #16

THOR #14686
So back to the original topic.....

There was a concern regarding the need to re-caulk around the slide frame. How difficult is the access to do that? Thanks.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:19 AM   #17

Model: Memphis
THOR #2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by A207X2 View Post
We have a 2017 model. We have had a slide floor replaced and a Slide roof replaced.... The slide roof is still leaking....

Also, one particular slide doesn't fit the hole that it slides into very well.... Kinda like more than an inch out of square and getting worse everytime we move. Then there is the roof line that is becoming sway backed... Kinda looks like a broken horse. All the caulking on them is crap from the factory. It deteriorates in 3-4 months. Then there isn't any sealant behind any of the moldings to stop any water that does get past the cracked caulking. None of the screws have sealant behind them allowing water to migrate down the threads into the structure.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:25 AM   #18

THOR #3109
Not a real difficult job, but tedious and time-consuming. And the jury is still out on the best caulk to use for long-term results. Also, some of the oem caulking is painted over, so that it's hard to make it look right. Then there is the basic reason for WHY the re-caulking is needed 1) not done right at factory 2) not done at all at factory 3) cheap caulk that shrinks badly 4) construction practices that don't provide a seal against the open-grain floor wood.
Going to have to spend some time on mine when it looks to be spring for real....
2017 F450 KR
Old 03-17-2019, 02:37 AM   #19

THOR #1658
Quote:
Don't know about the RR and RV4Less deal, but a Cleburne TX dealer is going to open a PDI shop of his own up there to inspect his shipments, and also building a 100-bay shop in Cleburne for all makes for service.
Big need for all this, but how to make it pay for the dealer--aside from fewer defects? Is the customer going to be charged for some of the better PDI, or the dealer, or the mfg?
I would think that DRV would pay for it. As it is their defects/poor craftsmanship. I would think once they realize how much they will need to pony up. Things will change. Labor costs can make or break you. If the warranty claims start exceeding the cost of them to slow the line down and make the units right. Then they will. It is a balancing act. They should charge back the techs that build it. A lot of them finish early as they finished there qouta for the day. If they get charged back for there mistakes, they will slow down. Still not sure what PDI guy/guys they have doing it at the factory really do. Freezer works keeping the bon bon’s frozen, recliner and tv work...
Old 03-17-2019, 02:40 AM   #20

THOR #1658
Quote:
Not a real difficult job, but tedious and time-consuming. And the jury is still out on the best caulk to use for long-term results. Also, some of the oem caulking is painted over, so that it's hard to make it look right. Then there is the basic reason for WHY the re-caulking is needed 1) not done right at factory 2) not done at all at factory 3) cheap caulk that shrinks badly 4) construction practices that don't provide a seal against the open-grain floor wood.
Going to have to spend some time on mine when it looks to be spring for real....
Why have a wood floor in the slides? They make plastic wood. It is heavier but it will NEVER rot even exposed to water.