Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2017, 11:31 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Maryland
THOR #4040
WiFi Ranger -- where is installed

We are going to have the WiFi Ranger, EliteAC Pack FM, installed in our coach in September by RV's FOR LESS.

For those with factory installed units where do they install the unit inside? My guess is in the cabinet where the factory satellite connection is.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Don

DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #2

Model: 38RSSA MS
State: Washington
THOR #5214
When the factory installed our Ranger it consisted of the outside Sky2 unit on the roof and and on/off switch located in the monitor panel cabinet.
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #3

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewacowboy View Post
When the factory installed our Ranger it consisted of the outside Sky2 unit on the roof and and on/off switch located in the monitor panel cabinet.
Mine is installed the same way. You also may want to think about getting a Mobley hot spot instead of the ranger or get both. You can get unlimited data for only $20 a month. I have had mine for about a month now, and it works great.
PM me if you have any questions about the Mobley.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:21 PM   #4

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
I’ve been wondering this same thing. We also have a factory install.
Like you we have the Sky2 on the roof and the switch in the cabinet. But it would seem there should be something else? At least one more component.
The Sky2 on the roof I believe has only a Cat-5 interface, that is run down into the electrical chase. The power for it whether a A/C power brick, or a 12V pigtail lead should be interfaced to Cat-5 by means of perhaps the “mini” port. This interface device should have two RJ-45 ports one for the Sky2 cable and a power input @12V. The other RJ-45 could be used for a LAN or something else, a MiFi adapter possibly?
Like you I have no idea if or where this other connection is made as the wire chase seems un-accessible, frustrating at best. Wondering if anyone has gained insight as to what DRV did in there. I wish I had a endoscope to see in there somehow, lol.
Inquiring minds want to know.. Any thoughts?
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #5

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrek View Post
I’ve been wondering this same thing. We also have a factory install.
Like you we have the Sky2 on the roof and the switch in the cabinet. But it would seem there should be something else? At least one more component.
The Sky2 on the roof I believe has only a Cat-5 interface, that is run down into the electrical chase. The power for it whether a A/C power brick, or a 12V pigtail lead should be interfaced to Cat-5 by means of perhaps the “mini” port. This interface device should have two RJ-45 ports one for the Sky2 cable and a power input @12V. The other RJ-45 could be used for a LAN or something else, a MiFi adapter possibly?
Like you I have no idea if or where this other connection is made as the wire chase seems un-accessible, frustrating at best. Wondering if anyone has gained insight as to what DRV did in there. I wish I had a endoscope to see in there somehow, lol.
Inquiring minds want to know.. Any thoughts?
I thought the same thing. That way I could hard wire something or even put a router in the rig also.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #6

THOR #5214
I wanted to do the same thing. I emailed DRV and was told that there weren't any other components.....just the SKY2 on the roof and the on/off switch. I really wanted to be able to get a hard-wired connection from a hot spot
Old 06-10-2017, 11:06 PM   #7

THOR #5034
Yeah, I pretty much got the same blank stare from DRV too.

I'd at least like to see the "Rube Goldberg" pin-out they did transitioning from Cat-5 to a 12V pigtail & friction tape? Could they have skimped out any worse for what they charge for the WFR option? I would have kind of expected this, (photo).
I've not ruled out a modification, If I could find/access the splice point.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/wif...i-pack-bundle/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WFR-minipack_02-500x500.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	5229  
Old 06-10-2017, 11:16 PM   #8

THOR #5214
If you figure it out I'm sure there are a number of us that would be interested in your findings....
Old 06-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #9

THOR #5034
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Mine is installed the same way. You also may want to think about getting a Mobley hot spot instead of the ranger or get both. You can get unlimited data for only $20 a month. I have had mine for about a month now, and it works great.
PM me if you have any questions about the Mobley.

We've actually have been using the unlimited OnStar* (ATT) for $20 mo. from the trucks Intellilink head unit access point where there's service. It picks up fine in the coach. There is just the matter of extended use with the ignition on acc. position draining the batteries. Don't ask how I know that,
Old 06-11-2017, 12:20 AM   #10

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrek View Post
We've actually have been using the unlimited OnStar* (ATT) for $20 mo. from the trucks Intellilink head unit access point where there's service. It picks up fine in the coach. There is just the matter of extended use with the ignition on acc. position draining the batteries. Don't ask how I know that,
That is why I bought a connector that enables it to plug into a 110 outlet. As I have the timer turned off, so it does not shut down every couple of hours.

AC Adapter for AT&T ZTE Mobley OBD 2 LTE Wi-Fi Hotspot Device | eBay

I like this one as he stated that the power source comes from a surveillance kit. not just a cheap Taiwan one.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:19 AM   #11

THOR #5034
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonandPatti View Post
We are going to have the WiFi Ranger, EliteAC Pack FM, installed in our coach in September by RV's FOR LESS.

For those with factory installed units where do they install the unit inside? My guess is in the cabinet where the factory satellite connection is.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Don
OP, basically the Sky2 is on the roof approx. 18" to the DS of the bedroom A/C. Then there is a rocker switch in the control cabinet lower area next to the awning light switch. The rest is a mystery.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #12
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
No idea how DRV set it up - but the SKY2 is absolutely designed to feed a router... The 'normal' SKY2PACK package comes with a core router that provides the 12v to the Sky2 (PPPoE - 12v power and data over the single CAT5 cable to the roof), and provides lan ports for wired connections as well as a wireless network...
https://www.wifiranger.com/shop/product/64-sky2-pack
Sounds like DRV saved some $$ and eliminated some components.

I would expect that 'extra' CAT5 connection could be connected to a normal router to establish a network... It likely passes through the data (only) signal coming from the SKY2.

I have an older Picostation that works the same way.
Not going to hurt anything to try it. May need to fiddle with router settings to get it to connect properly.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:48 AM   #13

THOR #5034
The Sky2 on the roof shows to only have a Cat-5 interface, and is 24V. That Cat-5 is run down into the electrical chase presumably. The power for it whether an 120VAC power brick to 24V mini jack, or a 12V pigtail lead using a transformer to 24V mini jack. There needs to be an interfaced to Cat-5 by means of perhaps the Mini or a Core port module which is what powers the Sky2. Why would it be buried / hidden? Grrr
Old 06-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #14

Model: 38RSSA
State: Maryland
THOR #4040
WiFi Ranger EliteAC Pack FM

This is what is included in our WiFi Ranger EliteAC Pack FM. Not quite sure how DRV is doing there install.

Package Contents
WiFiRanger EliteAC FM
30FT Ethernet Cable
Installation Kit
WiFiRanger GoAC Router
110VAC Power Adapter & 12V Wire Harness
Quick Start Guidance
3-year warranty

Don
DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #15

Model: 2016 38rssa
THOR #3115
Ok, has anyone been able to use their factory installed wifi ranger? Does it really improve your signal? I can hook up to it and see other rv sites available but can't seem to get them to hook up to the ranger.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #16

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebaler View Post
Ok, has anyone been able to use their factory installed wifi ranger? Does it really improve your signal? I can hook up to it and see other rv sites available but can't seem to get them to hook up to the ranger.
Yes, it does make weaker signals stronger and it shows more options on what networks it sees. You will need to find open networks or know the PW on locked networks. I have not used mine for a while because we now use our Mobley. In using the Mobley we also have a secure network.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:07 PM   #17

THOR #5214
Quote:
Yes we've been able to use ours as a basic router in the coach. It sees the signal and we're able to connect. Most of the time we use our hot spot in the coach to connect to the Ranger, then everything is connected to the router.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #18

Model: 2016 38rssa
THOR #3115
Still no luck. I can get our iPads to hook up to the ranger. I can open the mywifiranger.com . The ranger sees the rv park wifi but it does not seem to connect. When I get home I will have my 11 year old grandson give me a hand. Thanks Bill
Old 09-11-2017, 09:09 PM   #19

THOR #1658
Quote:
Still no luck. I can get our iPads to hook up to the ranger. I can open the mywifiranger.com . The ranger sees the rv park wifi but it does not seem to connect. When I get home I will have my 11 year old grandson give me a hand. Thanks Bill
Some signals are "filtered". Which means once you show on you then have to log on. Did you select to join that network on your wifi Ranger controll panel? If you want, post up some screen shots of what you are seeing.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #20

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonandPatti View Post
This is what is included in our WiFi Ranger EliteAC Pack FM. Not quite sure how DRV is doing there install.

Package Contents
WiFiRanger EliteAC FM
30FT Ethernet Cable
Installation Kit
WiFiRanger GoAC Router
110VAC Power Adapter & 12V Wire Harness
Quick Start Guidance
3-year warranty

Don

How is your kit working out for you?

I purchased and installed that kit 2 seasons ago - nothing but aggravation.
When it does work it is just OK. But I spend more time trying to get connected then it is worth.
And there is no upgrade path to the newest versions, just full price.

Seamless integration between the indoor and outdoor routers an dCG WiFI and my verizon AC791L is just about non existent.

Im not a net guru but dome of my acquaintances are and have the same oipinon of the wifi ranger stuff.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote