Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2019, 05:30 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Wire supports under the slides

I noticed that one of my wire supports was completely detached on the kitchen slide. The other one on the same slide was cracked 80% getting ready to break. Not to mention that a hangers that retain the wires that are hooked onto the support were broken.
The 80% broken one.

A picture us the broken one. Once I unbolted it and trimmed the support to even.

Here is what I mean by the hangers. Arrows pointing to them and where they should be.

Step one, unbolt the end and clean up the end of the support.
Step two, cut a piece of the aluminum strip and drill 2 holes matching the holes in the rail on the slide. Which I bought from Lowe’s.
Step 3, drill two holes in the support to match the existing holes. I made a template and transferred over where the holes where.
Step 4, reassemble
Step 5, clean and lube the other side of the support. I used some anti seize lube.
Step 6, I took zip tires and strapped the hangers back onto the support.

What it looked like fixed.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #2

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
THOR #1661
YER so abusive!
Old 06-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #3109
Ryan,
Took this long to break? Lucky you.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #4

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Ryan,
Took this long to break? Lucky you.
I did not realize that this was a common failure.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #5

Model: 38RSSA
State: Ontario
THOR #5001
Your use of a clamping plate is much better than the original set up which caused the plastic to crack. I've repaired these before using a galvanized hinge to provide more freedom of movement. Used small machine screws, fender washers and nuts to connect it to the carrier.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:16 PM   #6

Model: Memphis
THOR #2341
Ours haven't broken yet either.... knock on wood..... But I have the hinges, backing plate, machine screws all lined up in a kit.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:46 AM   #7

THOR #3109
Ryan,
Have owned a DRV since '07 and have experience with these wire supports--sooner or later (kind of like the black tank valve) they will break. Either where yours broke, or in the middle, or at the pivot. Some of them are too long, some too short, some attached in the wrong place--whatever. Cold weather operation can be tough on them also. What did you think about the wire looms? You can't take them off, and you can't replace them, without disconnecting the wires that go thru them.....
2017 F450 KR
Old 06-24-2019, 02:54 AM   #8

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Ryan,
Have owned a DRV since '07 and have experience with these wire supports--sooner or later (kind of like the black tank valve) they will break. Either where yours broke, or in the middle, or at the pivot. Some of them are too long, some too short, some attached in the wrong place--whatever. Cold weather operation can be tough on them also. What did you think about the wire looms? You can't take them off, and you can't replace them, without disconnecting the wires that go thru them.....
I bet that you could replace the loom. Most of them have a slit in them to push the wires through. At least the smaller ones. As I make a plug and play harness to add a Stebel air horn a M109R. And that loom has a slit.
The black tank valve went bad about 9 months to a year. On about every DRV made.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #9

Model: 39DBRS3
THOR #4522
Me too

Checked mine and 2 of the 3 are starting to break. I’m going with the hinge method on all 3. Thanks Ryan for all of your posts.
ilpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:20 PM   #10

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
I've had 6 DRV's and had 1 of these break. Fixed it with an old door hinge. I've NEVER EVER had a tank valve go bad. So I guess not "every DRV ever made". By the way, DRV does not make the valves. They buy them from the OEM. And I really, really, really doubt they have a special line just for "cheap ones for DRV". It's the nature of the beast. They can go bad on any rig. Even a million $ bus.

Bill
Old 07-02-2019, 04:30 AM   #11

THOR #3109
porkchop--what about the OEM batteries? What brand are they?

And happy for your tank valve history--for me, 2 DRVs, 2 black tank valves bad, 1 at 2 years, 1 at 3 years. But both hard to operate from first pull. However, both were used units, so possibly they were mistreated by PO's...

As to the wire supports--2 DRVs, 4 supports snapped...but I just have to admit to misusing them by opening/closing the slides.
2017 F450 KR
Old 07-02-2019, 07:01 AM   #12

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilpuller View Post
Checked mine and 2 of the 3 are starting to break. I’m going with the hinge method on all 3. Thanks Ryan for all of your posts.
No problem, glad that you are enjoying them.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:03 AM   #13

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I've had 6 DRV's and had 1 of these break. Fixed it with an old door hinge. I've NEVER EVER had a tank valve go bad. So I guess not "every DRV ever made". By the way, DRV does not make the valves. They buy them from the OEM. And I really, really, really doubt they have a special line just for "cheap ones for DRV". It's the nature of the beast. They can go bad on any rig. Even a million $ bus.

Bill
You are lucky on the tank valves. I have replaced the black and grey valve.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #14

THOR #2053
I doubt that I'm lucky. I think that is actually the norm. You just hear the loud unhappy people more. Pretty hard to have a conversation about what doesn't go wrong.

And I'm 100% positive DRV doesn't make batteries. Nor does anyone build 'special' just for DRV> As a matter of record 4 of my units had batteries installed by the dealer, not the factory. And yes=all of the trailers were new.

As long as the public is buying ONLY by price manuf will cut costs where possible. Ever walk up to the counter at the burger joint and offer to pay more for a better product? Or so that they can raise the wages?

Bill
Old 07-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #15

THOR #1661
They certainly bought NO name batteries for my 16. They were plain black with no name.

Lasted 3 years. NOT impressed. Will see how the Costco Interstates do.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #16

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I doubt that I'm lucky. I think that is actually the norm. You just hear the loud unhappy people more. Pretty hard to have a conversation about what doesn't go wrong.

And I'm 100% positive DRV doesn't make batteries. Nor does anyone build 'special' just for DRV> As a matter of record 4 of my units had batteries installed by the dealer, not the factory. And yes=all of the trailers were new.

As long as the public is buying ONLY by price manuf will cut costs where possible. Ever walk up to the counter at the burger joint and offer to pay more for a better product? Or so that they can raise the wages?

Bill
Bill, I personally think it was the way they were routed and the length of the cable used that really caused the early demise. I’m not complaining at all. I do not post problems just to post them and complain. If I see something wrong, I will post it as well as a solution or ask for people advise. I agree that there are people that just post negative things just to complain, but I am not one of those people. I choose to post helpful information about issues to contribute to the forum and help other DRV owners.
I would disagree with it is hard to have a conversation about the GREAT things of DRV. For the most part people flock to forums for two reasons in my opinion.
1. They have a problem and they are looking for solutions.
2. Looking for people that are like minded and to be social. As there is a common interest, DRV.
Happy and safe traveling.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #17

THOR #11383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Will see how the Costco Interstates do.
I'm an Interstate battery fan but does Costco have a special brand or just the pricing.

With standard care the Interstate Batteries have not let me down used in the application intended.
Clay
Old 07-03-2019, 02:57 PM   #18

THOR #2053
Rynosback=I agree 100% with almost everything you said. Thanks

Bill
Old 07-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #19

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS60ocb View Post
I'm an Interstate battery fan but does Costco have a special brand or just the pricing.

With standard care the Interstate Batteries have not let me down used in the application intended.
Clay

They may have a line just for costco I don't know. The batteries I have purchased from Costco over the years have all been US Made. Batteries dies on our 07.5 MS Costco was not open yet so I bought two 6V Interstates from NAPA and they were Made in Mexico.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #20

Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
They certainly bought NO name batteries for my 16. They were plain black with no name.

Lasted 3 years. NOT impressed. Will see how the Costco Interstates do.

I was told the four batteries installed and ready to be shipped with our trailer were un-branded Trojans 105's

When two batteries were deleted due to a snafu, I was credited $50 each.

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
under the slide, wire support, wires