Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2015, 09:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3073
New Axis Family!

Hey there!! We just purchased an Axis Thursday evening, picked it up on Friday and had our first trial in the driveway Saturday night. We love everything about the Axis, it is absolutely perfect for our family, however one thing kind of bummed us out.. There are 3 TVs included in the unit, but the DVD player in the multimedia unit in the steering column doesn't cast off to any of the TVs. Is there any way to do this (DIY) or have any of you found any inexpensive ways to go without cable and a bunch of boxes/wires hanging around? We have 2 little girls and we are just looking to play DVDs for them while on long trips or at night time when we are stationary.

Remember we just bought a brand new Axis, so inexpensive is the key word here.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #2

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
Look in the top shelf of the cabinet over the sink. There should be a 110VAC receptacle and a HDMI cable that goes to the tv over the door. Easy to put a DVD or blueray player there.

Also check the tv in the bedroom. Mine has a DVD built in.

And welcome to the forum. Lots and friendly folks here to answer your questions. If you send me a private message with your email address I'll forward you an Axis/Vegas owners manual and checklists developed from comments and suggestions on the forum.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:37 PM   #3

THOR #3073
Thanks so much for that info, found the cord above the cabinet, no DVD player in the bedroom. The outside TV feels like it has chords running to it, any clue what they might be?

Pm with e mail address is on the way.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:57 PM   #4

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Welcome to the Axis family. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours.

Regards,

Randy
Old 10-18-2015, 10:59 PM   #5

THOR #3073
Thanks!
Old 10-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome and congratulations.
There should be a set of connectors for the outside TV in one of the two outside storage bins just below it (just like there is the cable in the cabinet in the kitchen).

Which model Axis did you get?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:16 PM   #7

THOR #3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Welcome and congratulations.
There should be a set of connectors for the outside TV in one of the two outside storage bins just below it (just like there is the cable in the cabinet in the kitchen).

Which model Axis did you get?
We have the 24.1

Any clue as to what all the cables plugged into the outside TV are? I can only fit my hand back there to feel them.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:49 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Open the outside storage unit below the TV you'll find an HDMI connector along with composite video and audio jacks (RCA). I would guess those are the cables (along with the "cable cable").
Old 10-19-2015, 12:32 AM   #9

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
JamieM -- Jaqmiegeek has it exactly right. The connections are in the storage compartment under the compartment door for the TV. To use a DVD, Blueray, or game module you'll have to plug in the electric in one of the 2 black electrical plugs on the outside of the coach on the passenger side. Then you'll hook the peripheral device to the connections in the storage compartment.

Also check to see if you have a Sanyko TV in the bedroom. Look carefully at it if you do -- it should have a dvd player built into it.

Check the description and pictures in the manual I sent you. It tells how to remove each of those TVs. Don't forget -- when you are using the antenna you have to raise the antenna and be sure that the antenna amp is on. The amp is a small black box in the far right rear corner of the top shelf of the cabinet in the kitchen. You might need a stool to reach the amp because it is really WAAAAY back in that cabinet. There is a small button on it. So when using antenna press that button and a light should come onthe amp. NOW THIS PART IS IMPORTANT -- if you are using the campground cable connection, you need to be sure the antenna amp is turned off. If you don't the TVs won't work.

Also every time you connect at a new place or use the antenna at a new campground, you need to use the remote for each tv to scan and find the tv channels.

All this is described in the manual I sent -- there is also pix of the antenna amp, and the connections in the outside storage compartment.

There are
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:35 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Jamie, welcome aboard.

Your question about the TV's, well it is a short and a long story.

If you have the Axxera AV614BH in dash system yes...there is a way to connect that DVD player to two TV's. BUT, you must pull the radio out of the dash and find the RCA plugs, run three lines to each TV to do so...and you will not get HD TV.

Okay, now for the long part and the kind of geeky part. If you want HD and you have some time you can do so in many ways. What I did was to install a fanless Computer over the sink on the top shelf, added a Blue Ray/DVD external hard drive, a wireless keyboard, an HDMI two way splitter, ran cables (another story, requires removing the Microwave, running a cable to the outside TV - one hole drilled inside the cabinet internally and some time fishing a coat hanger in and around things), chose input HDMI 1 on the two TV's and "TA-DA"...you have not only HI-Def DVD to the outside and the front TV (have not yet figured out how to get to the bedroom TV in the 24.1 Vegas) BUT also with your wireless keyboard you have your own in-house Computer system on the two TV's. I just put a smart Blu-Ray player with Chromecast attached in the back bedroom for now. Also, there will be one USB port that you can use on the system, it is hard to get to so I drilled another hole just above the buttons you have for all the water levels, fluids, batteries etc and put an extension and plug there. It goes straight to the computer so you can use a thumb drive to exchange data with your in-house computer or play your favorite songs thru the two TV's you are hooked up to. If you want a list of parts needed and what I used email me at drreott@gmail.com and I will send it to you. Cost $450.00 just 4 months ago and took about 4 hours.

I do not want to be a bummer here, but have a mechanic (or do it yourself) crawl under your RV and be sure that your transmission cable is not touching any part of the exhaust system...rubber vs exhaust is not a fair fight. Check out the thread "Can not shift out of Drive" to get up to speed on this important problem.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:42 AM   #11

THOR #3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
JamieM -- Jaqmiegeek has it exactly right. The connections are in the storage compartment under the compartment door for the TV. To use a DVD, Blueray, or game module you'll have to plug in the electric in one of the 2 black electrical plugs on the outside of the coach on the passenger side. Then you'll hook the peripheral device to the connections in the storage compartment.

Also check to see if you have a Sanyko TV in the bedroom. Look carefully at it if you do -- it should have a dvd player built into it.

Check the description and pictures in the manual I sent you. It tells how to remove each of those TVs. Don't forget -- when you are using the antenna you have to raise the antenna and be sure that the antenna amp is on. The amp is a small black box in the far right rear corner of the top shelf of the cabinet in the kitchen. You might need a stool to reach the amp because it is really WAAAAY back in that cabinet. There is a small button on it. So when using antenna press that button and a light should come onthe amp. NOW THIS PART IS IMPORTANT -- if you are using the campground cable connection, you need to be sure the antenna amp is turned off. If you don't the TVs won't work.

Also every time you connect at a new place or use the antenna at a new campground, you need to use the remote for each tv to scan and find the tv channels.

All this is described in the manual I sent -- there is also pix of the antenna amp, and the connections in the outside storage compartment.

There are
Ok gotcha. I did not get my email yet. I did jag be to put a space be in my email bc I'm a beginner in not allowed to send hyperlinks, or if it's a larger file it might take some time?

I'm very interested to see it. We have be a lot of questions that the dealer couldn't give a straight answer because of liability issues.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:48 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Yeah read up here on the shifter cable problem:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...rive-2308.html
Old 10-19-2015, 12:48 AM   #13

THOR #3073
Wow thanks. I think we're going to try a small DVD player and a chromecast stick for now.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:33 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #2521
The antenna amp button has been moved to the front of the cabinet on the right side on the 2016 24.1. Within easy reach.

We needed a step ladder on our last RV to reach that button.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:50 AM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
John, is yours on the E350 or the E450? Ours is a 2016 Vegas 24.1 on a 2015 E350.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:06 AM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #2521
E350.

We just returned from a two week trip from Denver to L.A. About 2,500 miles r.t. I was concerned about how it would perform going over the Rockies, but it ran like a top. When we got to I-15 in Utah where the speed limit is 80, I just had to do it to see if it could. Ran at 80 for about 10 miles. I usually keep it at 65.

We did not tow a toad. Instead, we unhooked each morning, left the hoses hooked up at the space, and drove to a conference each morning. Came back at night and reconnected the hoses. 3 minutes to unhook, 5 minutes to reconnect. This thing is incredibly easy to drive. I never had any difficulty parking it wherever we went. I contemplated going through the drive-thru at In & Out, but after I got into their parking lot I saw a sign for RV parking.

The real bummer part - I winterized it yesterday and took it to the storage lot. Thanks to JamieGeek for the great winterizing directions!

Tags
dvd player