Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Texas
THOR #8252
1st time RV owner about to pickup Vegas

Hello, My wife and I will be picking up a 2017 Vegas 25.3 from MHSRV at the end of the month. This site was a major point of research prior to making our decision, so thank you everyone.
We are very excited. The floor plan is perfect for us and I have faith in the FordE450/V10.
I hope to ask questions as needed and pay back by posting any problems/fixes/changes as I go along.

Thank you

Old 07-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #2

State: Alaska
THOR #7889
Congratulations everyone will try to help anyway they can. we just got our vegas 25.3 a week ago so far very happy with it
Old 07-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #6523
Welcome! We're in Rockwall and bought a 2017 Axis 24.1 from MHSRV earlier this year (our 1st RV as well). This group has been invaluable to us as we learn the ropes. Lots of helpful, friendly people here!
Old 07-10-2017, 10:01 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Go to the Motorhome Tech Topics section of the forum. The first thread is a sticky with a link in the first thread to the Axis/Vegas Owners' Manual I compiled. It contains several checklists and lots of system info you won't find in the generic Thor manual you'll get. Also lots of troubleshooting information.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:54 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasinDallas View Post
Hello, My wife and I will be picking up a 2017 Vegas 25.3 from MHSRV at the end of the month. This site was a major point of research prior to making our decision, so thank you everyone.
We are very excited. The floor plan is perfect for us and I have faith in the FordE450/V10.
I hope to ask questions as needed and pay back by posting any problems/fixes/changes as I go along.

Thank you
I've got one on order ( '18 25.3) with MHSRV. I'll be real interested in your feedback and any suggestions you have in dealing with them based on your experience. I'm a RV newbie as well.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:02 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Congratulations on your new coach and welcome to the forum!!! MSHRV are really nice people, hope your purchase goes as smoothly as ours did!
Old 07-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #7

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Congratulations on your new coach and welcome to the forum!!! MSHRV are really nice people, hope your purchase goes as smoothly as ours did!
How did you find their PDI? It seems to be a rarity that RV dealers actually do decent PDI's from what I read, and I've read mixed reviews on MSHRV. One good thing it seems is that if you are doing your own PDI they have techs around ready to jump on things you find.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:20 PM   #8

THOR #6523
Our PDI on our Axis 24.1 went very well at MHSRV in February and we never felt rushed at all. One tech did the walk-through with us & thanks to this forum we had a thorough checklist to go through. Another tech was assigned to us to fix everything we came across and it all went smoothly and he fixed everything we came across.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:21 PM   #9

THOR #6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Go to the Motorhome Tech Topics section of the forum. The first thread is a sticky with a link in the first thread to the Axis/Vegas Owners' Manual I compiled. It contains several checklists and lots of system info you won't find in the generic Thor manual you'll get. Also lots of troubleshooting information.
YES, Ed's Axis/Vegas Owner's Manual has been incredibly helpful and an excellent resource to keep handy.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:22 PM   #10

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAxis View Post
Our PDI on our Axis 24.1 went very well at MHSRV in February and we never felt rushed at all. One tech did the walk-through with us & thanks to this forum we had a thorough checklist to go through. Another tech was assigned to us to fix everything we came across and it all went smoothly and he fixed everything we came across.
I just hope their fancy, dancy car wash (errr, rain tunnel) identifies any leaks. Like many, it's my number one concern.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #11

THOR #8012
Quote:
That whole getting up on the roof and walking around thing has me a bit nervous. I'm not a small guy and not a fan of heights...

I've been perusing the manual for the last few weeks. Great stuff.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:30 PM   #12

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Just take your time and be careful on the roof. I go up on mine about 3 times a year to check caulking and sealing. I'm 73 and not as agile as I once was. Just go slow and with care.

There are a lot of caulking and sealing up there that should be checked to be sure you don't have any leaks.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:56 PM   #13

THOR #8012
Quote:
Just take your time and be careful on the roof. I go up on mine about 3 times a year to check caulking and sealing. I'm 73 and not as agile as I once was. Just go slow and with care.

There are a lot of caulking and sealing up there that should be checked to be sure you don't have any leaks.
I don't think I can trust the ladder, but I'm wondering if I can safely walk on the roof. I'm 270lbs. I've not found anything definitive on that.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:22 AM   #14

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I don't think I can trust the ladder, but I'm wondering if I can safely walk on the roof. I'm 270lbs. I've not found anything definitive on that.
It should be an annual requirement to check the roof seals and tape and chalk. Perhaps you can use a ladder on the side to reach most of it and get smaller person to do rest with your supervision. The two seams are in the very rear and a few feet above front window. I'm just under 200 and no problem.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:26 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
I'm 230 and haven't had an issue on the roof--the ladder does feel a bit flimsy when I climb it but its held up for me. I'm on the roof quite frequently (4-5 times a year).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:34 AM   #16

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I'm 230 and haven't had an issue on the roof--the ladder does feel a bit flimsy when I climb it but its held up for me. I'm on the roof quite frequently (4-5 times a year).
I know I read that someone posted that the manual (not sure which manual, but I guess they are fairly generic) says that Thor roof's are reinforced with plywood and safe to walk on.

My thinking has been one of those collapsible extension ladders laid next to or on top of coach ladder. so I can still use the bars on top for a little stability getting on/off roof.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.3
THOR #8252
Thank you all for your replies
bevedfelker - That manual is an amazing piece of work! thank you!

We pick up the 25.3 next weekend. I will let you all know how it goes

Again, thank you all
Old 07-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #18

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
I know I read that someone posted that the manual (not sure which manual, but I guess they are fairly generic) says that Thor roof's are reinforced with plywood and safe to walk on.

My thinking has been one of those collapsible extension ladders laid next to or on top of coach ladder. so I can still use the bars on top for a little stability getting on/off roof.
We have a collapsible ladder carried on the rear ladder. We use it to reach the top of the front cap only place I can't reach from the roof. You can see it in my picture.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAxis View Post
Welcome! We're in Rockwall and bought a 2017 Axis 24.1 from MHSRV earlier this year (our 1st RV as well). This group has been invaluable to us as we learn the ropes. Lots of helpful, friendly people here!
Did you buy from MHSRV because you were close or because they had the best deal? Just curious. People have told me Total Value RV in Indiana had the overall best deal, with low prices, no miles on the unit, and the process is hassle free from the standpoint of hiding costs being sprung out at the last minute. I got as far as a down payment at Total Value and then was turned over to the 'finance guy" and half of the stuff told me by the salesman was total BS including the finance rate and the salesman had my credit score. Other people swear by the professional and honest approach at MHSRV.

I'm a "never owned an RV" guy and have been researching this situation for a year or two. I'd appreciate your perspective. thanks.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:16 AM   #20

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Florida
THOR #8116
Mhsrv

My wife & I will be picking up a 2017 Miramar 37.1 this Wednesday and I will post my feedback once I'm done with the deal. I can tell you that I'm in FL and not one local dealer was able to match the price. They have been courteous throughout the negotiation process and I'm hoping it continues once we arrive at the dealer. They encourage you to stay the night on the property and test out as much as possible as part of the PDI. More to come....