Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2016, 05:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37RB Outlaw
State: Georgia
THOR #4297
2012 Thor 29.2 gen. Overheat shut-off

Hi All,
Just bought the 29.2 and have read a little about adding a shield around the generator. What type metal? Am considering A/C duct sheet metal but wonder about using an insulative type material used in boats. We have show dogs and don't want a catastrophe.
Higgy
Senoia, GA

Old 08-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Not so sure I'd be putting a shield around the generator. You may want to get the installation manual and check the clearance requirements to ensure proper air flow. The use of a shield may restrict the air flow and cause rather than prevent overheating.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
....cut... Am considering A/C duct sheet metal but wonder about using an insulative type material used in boats. .....cut....
As I recall reading about the proposed fix, it was to keep the motorhome's engine heat while driving away from the generator. If that's the case, I would look at this not so much as a shield but rather as a device to divert hot air around the generator and at same time promote cooler air from side of motorhome (away from engine) to flow over the generator. In that sense I don't think using insulation rather than sheet metal will help much -- heat transfer at 60 MPH relative to mass flow should be insignificant.

I agree with Dave, anything that blocks air flow necessary to keep generator cool will make risk of overheating worse. I'd proceed with much caution.

By the way, I've assumed your 29.2 is the ACE model with generator just behind driver (we looked at one which is why I remembered this issue). If that's not correct, please disregard these comments.