Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2016, 07:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Louisiana
THOR #4285
2015 outlaw 37ls

new owner of outlaw from southeast Louisiana, have had 4 other rvs, using the outlaw to carry our Harley sidecar rig....have found the ramp to be very steep when backing out...so much so that the brakes will not hold on ramp...experimenting with a winch to bring rig up/down ramp and also raising end of ramp and adding ramps to make it a little less incline....anyone have any other ideas

Old 02-04-2017, 12:37 AM   #2

Model: Outlaw LS
State: Arizona
THOR #6412
Hi kjunglide, did you end up installing a winch in your outlaw? I'm going to install one in mine (I have a 2016 37LS) to get my 1970 Mini Cooper in and out. I've used the winch on my Jeep to pull the Mini in once (put the cable in thru the side door) and it worked fine. I did find that if you use the front leveling jacks to pick the front end up, the back end goes down about 3" which helps reduce the angle of the ramp a bit...
Old 02-04-2017, 03:55 AM   #3

THOR #4285
I got a small atv winch that I use to pull my sidecar rig in with, when we take the smart car I just drive it in and out...you must have an original mini to be able to fit
Old 02-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjunglide View Post
new owner of outlaw from southeast Louisiana, have had 4 other rvs, using the outlaw to carry our Harley sidecar rig....have found the ramp to be very steep when backing out...so much so that the brakes will not hold on ramp...experimenting with a winch to bring rig up/down ramp and also raising end of ramp and adding ramps to make it a little less incline....anyone have any other ideas
Congratulations on your new coach!!! Being able to carry a bike or car and not tow is great! Hope you really enjoy your coach!
Old 02-04-2017, 01:55 PM   #5

THOR #4285
We have had our outlaw about 1 yr....really enjoy it.....really is nice to not have to pull a trailer...only problem so far is having to have transmission rebuilt..12 dollar bearing...no problem, Ford covered everything under warranty..not a penny in cost...need to do a little sound control...normal gas rv noise in driver area and dash loose
Old 02-04-2017, 06:12 PM   #6

THOR #6412
Yes, it is an original Mini, built back in 1970. I also bought an ATV winch and now I'm deciding how I should mount it to the RV. Did you mount yours to the frame rails (same as the tie-downs) or did you just bolt it to the floor??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini_sm.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	3861  
Old 02-05-2017, 05:15 AM   #7

THOR #4285
I just use two of the little chain screw clamps like on a trailer safety chain to hook the winch to the center tie-down by the door going into the coach..and clamp the cables from the winch to the battery lugs on the wall...that way it is easy to move out of the way when not needed
Old 02-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Yes, it is an original Mini, built back in 1970. I also bought an ATV winch and now I'm deciding how I should mount it to the RV. Did you mount yours to the frame rails (same as the tie-downs) or did you just bolt it to the floor??
Your Mini is awesome!!! My buddy had one, I always felt like I was in a two seat go kart!!! Did you buy it or build it, from the picture it looks like new!
Old 02-06-2017, 05:18 AM   #9

THOR #6412
Thanks SuperD! It is a very fun car. I bought it from a person in CA last summer and have been fixing small issues ever since (it is an English sports car, one would expect no less ) Hopefully it will be a nice stealth little toad so my wife, kids and I can tool around while on the road.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0774.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	3897  
Old 02-06-2017, 05:24 AM   #10

THOR #6412
Thanks kjunglide, that's a very simple solution! My Mini is a bit too big to use a winch in front so I think I'll have to come up with a different solution
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front_clearance_sm.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	3898