Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2018, 01:43 AM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #11094
2015 Thor Windsport

Hello! My husband and I purchased our RV last spring. We love it and spend most of the summer in it. BUT... it seems like something is always broken. We just got it back from Camping World a month ago and parked it. Now we cannot get power from the batteries and we know the batteries are charged. We are about to leave in 5 days for a long trip. 😑

Old 03-29-2018, 01:49 AM   #2

State: California
THOR #9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmeter View Post
Hello! My husband and I purchased our RV last spring. We love it and spend most of the summer in it. BUT... it seems like something is always broken. We just got it back from Camping World a month ago and parked it. Now we cannot get power from the batteries and we know the batteries are charged. We are about to leave in 5 days for a long trip. [emoji58]
Don't know what the problem is, but a friend of mine told me when in storage go by once a month and start it up and run the generator for 5 minutes..good luck hope you get it working
Old 03-29-2018, 02:01 AM   #3

State: Arizona
THOR #11094
Thanks
Old 03-29-2018, 02:36 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmeter View Post
Hello! My husband and I purchased our RV last spring. We love it and spend most of the summer in it. BUT... it seems like something is always broken. We just got it back from Camping World a month ago and parked it. Now we cannot get power from the batteries and we know the batteries are charged. We are about to leave in 5 days for a long trip. 😑
If you have original batteries, I would start with checking what kind of shape they are in. Parked for one month and you are saying they are charged? Just curious how you know that. One more thing, based on another comment. You should be running your generator once a month, but more than 5 minutes. Some say 30 minutes, 60 minutes or 120 minutes on at least a 50 percent load. I'll leave the duration up to you, but 5 minutes isn't it. Check the condition of those batteries first.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:56 AM   #5

THOR #9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
If you have original batteries, I would start with checking what kind of shape they are in. Parked for one month and you are saying they are charged? Just curious how you know that. One more thing, based on another comment. You should be running your generator once a month, but more than 5 minutes. Some say 30 minutes, 60 minutes or 120 minutes on at least a 50 percent load. I'll leave the duration up to you, but 5 minutes isn't it. Check the condition of those batteries first.
Thanks for the info on generator run time, will take your advise
Old 03-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you know the batteries are charged (checked with a voltmeter?) look for a breaker near the batteries. If you see a yellow "flag" popped out, push it back in that should reset the breaker.

Also: Are you sure you are in "Use" mode?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #7

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
One of the many things I thank the Army for is to understand the importance of PMCS or Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services.

Also, I have learned to stay away from Camping World, if possible.

I strongly recommend reviewing RV Repair/Maintenance videos on youtube.com. They teach us all a lot that we need to know.

We have dear friends that purchased a 2018 Thor. When something went wrong, they took it in for service expecting the NEW CAR experience. Well, IT JUST AIN'T SO. RVs are different.

Get familiar with your systems and have FUN!
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:30 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
I have a 2015 Hurricane and my batteries can go dead in a couple weeks if I forget to flip the store switch. I would plug it in or see if you can start your engine, it will charge house batteries provided the use/store switch is in Use. You should be able to start the generator after the engine is on for a few minutes. If the engine won't start either, try jumping it from your car or truck. Beyond this, it will require further diagnoses. The above was correct, if you still have the stock batteries, get rid of them. I had to replace mine within a couple months of purchase. Have had interstates in now for about 2.5 years.

Good luck and have a great trip.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #9

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
I have a 2015 Hurricane and my batteries can go dead in a couple weeks if I forget to flip the store switch. I would plug it in or see if you can start your engine, it will charge house batteries provided the use/store switch is in Use. You should be able to start the generator after the engine is on for a few minutes. If the engine won't start either, try jumping it from your car or truck. Beyond this, it will require further diagnoses. The above was correct, if you still have the stock batteries, get rid of them. I had to replace mine within a couple months of purchase. Have had interstates in now for about 2.5 years.

Good luck and have a great trip.
Yeah, Stock batteries.... a lesson learned there but I got to teach someone else about it that also learned from it. Found another short cut too.