Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2017, 07:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #8022
2016 miramar 34.3

Just purchase a low miles unit as the wife wanted the extra room and liked the layout . I worry about the large slide out even with 3 tracks but I hope this one will keep working . We had a new jayco in 2016 and it was good but all of them have stiupid quality issues showing lack of inspection etc .
Hope the lucks is with us on this one
Milo and Lenette in Georgia

Old 06-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum!!! Lots of super nice and very knowledgeable people here if you have questions. I wish you many happy and safe miles!!!
Old 06-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgr1930 View Post
Just purchase a low miles unit as the wife wanted the extra room and liked the layout . I worry about the large slide out even with 3 tracks but I hope this one will keep working . We had a new jayco in 2016 and it was good but all of them have stiupid quality issues showing lack of inspection etc .
Hope the lucks is with us on this one
Milo and Lenette in Georgia
Congrats on the new rig!

We really like the Miramar line, so many good options. Hopefully being gently used the original owner took care of the major squaks under warranty.

We originally had a Miramar 34.2, it was a 2014, first model year for that floorplan. We had all sorts of issues with the giant wall slide, just to name a few. It appears the 3 trax system is a big improvement but still a lot of weight being moved.

Keep an eye on those tracks, I'm always inspecting them after each movement, looking for signs of metal flaking or gouges in the tracks. Also another big deal is to make sure your batteries are fully charged before running the slides.

Something I've learned along the way is; even though you may be hooked up to shore power or your APU running, if your coach batteries are not above 11 to 12 volts and you run those motors, you run the risk of encountering a low voltage condition and the motors will shut off.

Since the motors are 12V DC, they draw a lot of amps while running. The charger converter is working to recharge those batteries, not powering those high draw items.

My repair shop advised the best way to see what the status of your batteries is to use the xantrex monitor panel to read what the battery voltage is. Before you start your APU, or flip the breaker at the pedestal, turn on the xantrex inverter and read what the volts are. If they indicate above 11 volts you should be okay to run the slides, if below 11, you may want to let them charge for a bit before running the slides. That's considering your batteries are in good condition.

Also make sure to check the water level in those batteries!!

Hope this helps, good luck and enjoy!!
Old 06-25-2017, 01:08 AM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #8022
apu

Brian H
Can you tell me what is the APU you mentioned in your post to me .
Thanks for all the info
Milo
Old 06-25-2017, 01:38 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Brian H
Thanks for all the info
Milo
APU = Generator
Old 06-25-2017, 06:30 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Quote:
Brian H
Thanks for all the info
Milo
Hey Milo,

APU=Auxiliary Power Unit

Used on airplanes and boats, a separate engine capable of providing another source of AC power to run things!
🔌🛩