Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2017, 06:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #8306
2017 Thor Axis 24.1

Greetings All...
Picked ours up at Tom Johnson Camping World in Marion, NC a week ago. Like it very much, but as time goes by finding minor issues I've been able fix without having to drive an hour to Service Dept.
One issue (critical) that other newbies my want to watch out for is to check the tire pressures since apparently this is not part of the prep you pay for. I'm going on my first trip tomorrow and even though I thought it would not be an issue, having just picked it up brand new, I felt like checking the tires. All six had different tire pressures ranging from 72 psi to 50 psi, when all of them should have been write about 80 psi. The Dual rear tires did not even match up. On one dual rear tire the two valve stems weren't even able to be accessed to check the pressure and I had to remove the rim to re-adjust, and tighten the retaining screws, to check and put air in.
It is what it is, and this concludes my introduction to the group! [emoji2]

Old 07-16-2017, 06:50 AM   #2

THOR #8306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch1408 View Post
Greetings All...
Picked ours up at Tom Johnson Camping World in Marion, NC a week ago. Like it very much, but as time goes by finding minor issues I've been able fix without having to drive an hour to Service Dept.
One issue (critical) that other newbies my want to watch out for is to check the tire pressures since apparently this is not part of the prep you pay for. I'm going on my first trip tomorrow and even though I thought it would not be an issue, having just picked it up brand new, I felt like checking the tires. All six had different tire pressures ranging from 72 psi to 50 psi, when all of them should have been write about 80 psi. The Dual rear tires did not even match up. On one dual rear tire the two valve stems weren't even able to be accessed to check the pressure and I had to remove the rim to re-adjust, and tighten the retaining screws, to check and put air in.
It is what it is, and this concludes my introduction to the group! [emoji2]
Please excuse grammar and spelling. Damn spell check!
Old 07-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Finch,
When you get the time (and your "stuff" that you want into your RV) get your RV weighed at a weigh station. Then go online to the Michelin tire webset to figure out the exact "recommended" inflation for the tires based on the weight they are supporting.
With the way our Vegas 24.1 gets loaded up we are very close to maximum weight for the front axle with recommended Air Pressure at 72 lbs. The rear axle has several hundred lbs before we near maximum weight and as such the recommended Air PRessure is 65lbs.
FWIW: If you drop the valve stem cap between the dual tires...it goes to another dimension and you will never find it .

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #5

THOR #8306
Thanks Doc,

I suppose there is a transition in thinking from Trailer Tires, to Light Truck Tires.

On trailer tire, if sidewall said 60, that's where I kept it. On truck tire, maybe not.

Thanks for the weight tip.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Finch,

Live and learn.

We've been RV'ing two years now...but much of what I know I got off this Forum, including tire inflation. Some things you don't want to learn via "The School of Hard Knocks" or as "OJT: On Job Training"!

Welcome to the Forum and safe travels!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Finch,
I'm with Doc. Lots of discussion on this topic. We had our 24.1 weighed too. They recommended 65 in the rear, 80 in the front. Makes a huge difference along with the alignment. I am of the opinion that dealerships leave much to be desired in the service area. I was glad when our Axis was over one year old. Now, if I take it anywhere, I take it to a private RV service facility in our area.