Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
THOR #14761
34.2 Miramar Large single slide opinion or issues

Hi All - New to this Forum looks like lots of great answers, what a group. So .... hoping the following possible purchase wont be in vine ( Thor 2017 34.2 Miramar ) 10K miles. My question is concerning the single large slide and stackable washer and dryer that sit on the slide. It seems this could be a problem down the road. There are definitely some interesting comments, but wanted to ask the pro's who have been around in these rigs. This W/D is a must have for us.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:34 PM   #2

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
We have 2019 Challenger 37fh full wall slide with stack washer and dryer also residential fridge complete kitchen with solid counter top fireplace and tv,so a lot of weight,7months full time no problems with slide.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #3

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
I don't have that model, but welcome to the forum
Old 03-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
We have a 2016 Miramar 34.2 with 22 K on it. Stackable washer and dryer, no problems so far. We are the original owners.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Full length slide here as well...zero issues. Thor engineers actually designed the 3-Trak System and got an exclusive on it. I think they finally hit a home run on this one. Other than leaks or other small, non-motorized things, you hear very little issues with them. Just research the used coach thoroughly...why after just 10K did they sell it? May be all for the good, but dig in.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Fws

Just keep in mind one thing. I have heard this comment from a couple of RV repair techs at the independent RV shop that gets my business. You will still have not just electrical but plumbing connections that will be moving back and forth. Eventually, these lines are destined to leak. Something to keep in mind. I cannot speak about that particular slider mechanism as others have other than to say that none of these sliders let alone the full wall slides are bullet proof.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #7

THOR #14761
Thank you for the heads with Thor tracking system

Thank you for the heads with tracking system, helps with my decision to buy. We are pulling the trigger and buying 34.2 2017. The seller are older, apparently their son and grand kids have moved to the mid west, and no longer need a larger unit. I really have looked it over and can work on most anything if needed.
They are having sprinter/ Van built.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:50 PM   #8

THOR #3584
Congratulations, good Luck. We spent January and February of this year traveling from New York to California and exploring everything in the middle. Just check on the windshield wipers and the entire motor, brackets and support frame for the motor and linkage. We had an episode during a heavy rain storm, the support bracket broke at its weakest point and the entire system failed at the worst time. Fortunately we located an RV repair center who repaired it, delayed us a full day, but the end result was positive. Thor paid for the repairs after we filed a claim. There is a recall we now are aware of, just giving you heads up. Other than that, the unit is fantastic. Leaving for Florida in 2 weeks.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:24 AM   #9

THOR #14761
Thank you again and perfect I will take a closer look at the wipers motor system. I can fix's or adjust the system, I like to tinker.
Love this site so much help
Old 03-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #10

THOR #3584
Enjoy
Old 04-16-2019, 05:22 AM   #11

THOR #8228
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDDOG View Post
Thank you for the heads with tracking system, helps with my decision to buy. We are pulling the trigger and buying 34.2 2017. The seller are older, apparently their son and grand kids have moved to the mid west, and no longer need a larger unit. I really have looked it over and can work on most anything if needed.
They are having sprinter/ Van built.
We bought our 2015 34.2 (our favourite floor plan after a 2 year search) our slide has been great, except the time i blew a fuse, the controller is in a middle bay under the slide, we pushed it in and out several time by hand, until we read the manual again and found the fuse and checked the plugins on the controller. Btw: you can plug them in backwards, you know when you press the in button and it slides out! Anyway to your point, I've got big kids and they seem to gravitate to the couch and table and it has been doing fine. And yes our wipers currently have a recall, for free repair.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:42 AM   #12

THOR #14380
Bratmanstudio:

I have a Miramar 34.2, which I bought new in early 2017. My thinking was: If slideouts tend to be a problem, why not just have one big one. Hopefully that will be less problems.
Well, that has been the case. Not many problems, and we have done 22,000 miles, which includes a 14,000 mile rt from Florida to Alaska. There is not too much you could ask me that we haven't experienced, but overall, a "B" grade for the Miramar. The weakest point is the Instruction Manual. They really don't tell you anything about your particular rig....you have to learn a lot of stuff on your own, and it helps a lot if you are 'MECHANICALLY INCLINED'.

Go for it, Jim
Old 04-27-2019, 02:26 AM   #13

THOR #8228
Quote:
Originally Posted by analoguy View Post
Bratmanstudio:

I have a Miramar 34.2, which I bought new in early 2017. My thinking was: If slideouts tend to be a problem, why not just have one big one. Hopefully that will be less problems.
Well, that has been the case. Not many problems, and we have done 22,000 miles, which includes a 14,000 mile rt from Florida to Alaska. There is not too much you could ask me that we haven't experienced, but overall, a "B" grade for the Miramar. The weakest point is the Instruction Manual. They really don't tell you anything about your particular rig....you have to learn a lot of stuff on your own, and it helps a lot if you are 'MECHANICALLY INCLINED'.

Go for it, Jim
I concur, a B or B+ in my case is fair. With all the complaints I've read over the years, but I haven't found most of them with my coach. And the ridiculous cheap price I paid, with not having to do much in upgrades, which the previous owner did, and still not knowing as much as I'd like to due to that close to useless manual, I'll give you that 'B'. BTW: How's your dining table, mine doesn't line up perfectly to the benches, and seem a little loose. I need to go through everything and tweak. I wish I had more time to work on it, it's something I really enjoy. Just the concept of the vehicle makes me happy. We just went thru the new 2019's, for our price point and all the similarities, we're cool with keeping ours for a long while. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180520_100019.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	16917
Old 04-27-2019, 03:04 AM   #14

THOR #14380
Bratmanstudio,
Looks like you are towing a Jeep, as we are also. Well, we did our first summer in Alaska, 2017, then last summer in Eastern Canada, Nova Scotia, etc, and I am thinking this summer will be in the Rockie Mountains.

The Miramar is OK, but handling has been the weak point. I have put on HD shocks on the front (Bilstein), and I just put on the front steering stabilizer (Safe T Plus). I feel the Ford chassis should have been good from day 1, but instead I have had to play around with it. It seems most others on this Forum have done the same .

Regards and safe travels, Jim
Old 04-27-2019, 07:40 AM   #15

THOR #8228
Quote:
Bratmanstudio,
Looks like you are towing a Jeep, as we are also. Well, we did our first summer in Alaska, 2017, then last summer in Eastern Canada, Nova Scotia, etc, and I am thinking this summer will be in the Rockie Mountains.

The Miramar is OK, but handling has been the weak point. I have put on HD shocks on the front (Bilstein), and I just put on the front steering stabilizer (Safe T Plus). I feel the Ford chassis should have been good from day 1, but instead I have had to play around with it. It seems most others on this Forum have done the same .

Regards and safe travels, Jim
When we test drove the miramar it was like driving a big old Ols 88 Olsmobile... more boat than land vehicle. Then me and the wife and her brother crawled under the coach did the CHF on front, drove it around, it had much better control, and the next day or two, me and the wife went back and did the rear swaybar CHF. Bigger difference! Then at the Quartzsite show a few months later, I ran across this guy... https://g.co/kgs/1q6VXX and for 4bills including installation at the RV park they adjusted my steering and installed the Steer Safe. That and the 5 star tune has made a huge difference in how it drives. It stays straight in the lane and it doesn't bother us when big trucks pass us by... or visa a versa.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:16 PM   #16

THOR #14380
Bratmanstudio,
Thanks for the comments. Tell me again what is "CHF"? Or anyone else know? I am not familiar with it.

Jim
Old 04-28-2019, 01:19 AM   #17

THOR #8228
Quote:
Bratmanstudio,
Thanks for the comments. Tell me again what is "CHF"? Or anyone else know? I am not familiar with it.

Jim
Cheap Handling Fix....
https://youtu.be/iWPIXOhrdMQ

The F 53 chassis is a multi purpose chassis found on a bunch of different trucks, flat beds, and RVs. Because of that it has a very all purpose anti swaybar setting from the factory. The RV being as tall as it is needs a tighter setting to hold that "big old box" from moving back and forth. By moving the bolts to the lower set of holes, you reduce the amount of sway produced by the "box". See the video. It works well and is a simple solution. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:10 AM   #18

THOR #14380
Bratmanstudio:
Thanks, now the real question is: can I do it myself? And do you do this for the front and back, or just the front?

I guess the other question: If this improves handling, why didn't Thor do it for us?
A silly question, I guess. Jim
Old 04-28-2019, 03:31 AM   #19

THOR #8228
Quote:
Bratmanstudio:
Thanks, now the real question is: can I do it myself? And do you do this for the front and back, or just the front?

I guess the other question: If this improves handling, why didn't Thor do it for us?
A silly question, I guess. Jim
Probably, if you're physically fit enough to work under the coach. If you saw the video, that is basically what me and the wife did, tho, I used my feet to push it into position while she put the bolts threw. Yes, laying on my back on card board. And yes, you're under there, do both! You're coach is 2 years newer so the sway bars shouldn't be that stiff or rusty. The video is of the same chassis. It was a nice bonding experience for me and the wife. But then again, she's of pioneer stock tough.[emoji50][emoji6]
BTW: Why you be the "analog guy", still have a turn table? Maybe a MacIntosh amp.?
Old 04-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #20

THOR #14380
Bratmanstudio:
Thanks so much for the info on CHF and yes the video is good. I can do this, and I will. Or, I have a friend...…

Yes, "analoguy" refers to the fact that I am old enough that when I got my EE degree, there was no DIGITAL anything. It was all analog. And yes, I have a few phonographs, including some Edison machines. He was "analog", also!

Regards, Jim (analoguy)