Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2016, 10:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kansas
THOR #3949
First Motorhome Thor Challenger 37TB

Hi! I'm new to this Forum and to the Motorhome lifestyle,
My name is Dave Huff and my wife is Kristy, we are new to this lifestyle. I am 64 and just retired from Bombardier Learjet were I worked for 40 years as a Field Service Representative and Aircraft Accident Investigator. It offered me the chance to travel the World but about all I saw was airports, now we are going to travel the US. We just purchased a new Thor Challenger 37TB from MHS just south of Ft. Worth, Texas. The Dealership is amazing they have over 800 RV's to look at from $24,000 to 1.5 million + and all of them are unlocked they give you a gulf cart and turn you loose, no high pressure sales. Everyone I worked with was great from Billy, my salesman to Arturo, the technician that did the walk around. The drive home to Valley Center Kansas, a small suburb north of Wichita and a short stay at Kaw Lake to see if we understood all of the instructions was uneventful even with 20 to 25 gusting to 35 cross winds and the storm that produced the tornado that went thru Tulsa missing us by only a few miles. We were thinking great our new MH is going to be destroyed on the first day owning it. We are home now getting the MH ready for our first big adventure. The only problem that I have found is that the water pump does not shutdown after it has built up pressure, any ideas.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congrats, and welcome.

Sounds like a bad pressure switch.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:54 AM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Connecticut
THOR #3785
I had the same thing happen to me and I have a 37TB. In the water compartment the dial had been set to winterize. Make sure it is set to normal.
2016 Challenger 37TB
BillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:30 AM   #4

THOR #3949
Thanks to both of you,
I will get the meter out and check the switch, I did check the wiring yesterday to see if it was connected and it was. Thanks for the hint on the dial I will double check it.
Bill,
How do you like your TB, and have you had many problems with it?

Dave Huff
Valley Center, Ks.
2016 Challenger 37TB
Old 04-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #5

State: Connecticut
THOR #3785
Hi David:

I've had mine less than two weeks. So far I have had the check engine light come on, and I had to take it to a Ford truck dealer. It was no big deal and they fixed it. Also the drop-down bunk gave me a little problem as well. The dealer didn't have one of the pins in to secure the bunk. One side of the bunk drops down a little and I lowered it and then couldn't get it back up. I panicked because I could not drive the RV and I was on our first camping trip. But my wife held the button and I lifted and we got it up. I'm waiting to take it to a dealer to have them look at it. Other than that I've been pretty happy. I like The motorhome very much. We had much less problems than I did when we bought our class C Forest River motorhome. And the customer service is very good.
2016 Challenger 37TB
BillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:38 AM   #6

THOR #3949
Bill,
I was looking the MH over yesterday checking out the location of all the components, and noticed that the bunk has a controller just like the slides. I would think you could disconnect the two white plugs and push the bunk up. You should be Able to sync it like the you do the slides, the controller is in the L/H upper cabinet. I have not tried it so if this will not work please let me know.
David Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:43 AM   #7

State: Florida
THOR #3981
We purchased our challenger last week and had a problem with the water pump filling the potable water tank, also not shutting off. Contacted the Andersonbrass who makes the kantleak valves 1.800.476.9876, they sent out a repair valve that took care or the problem, easy to replace. Good luck and congrats on the purchase!
Old 04-05-2016, 06:01 AM   #8

THOR #3949
I did not notice the tank filling up but I don't think the pump ran for that long, I will check the valve where is it located?
Old 04-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
David

Here is the documentation on the KantLeak system I received from Ron at Anderson.

Anderson 200RV INSTALL TEST INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

One note is that the operating instructions are incorrect as they relate to winterizing/sanitizing. The instructions state the solution will be drawn into the fresh water tank and then the valve gets positioned to "Normal" for pumping through the system.

The system does not pump the solution into the fresh water tank but rather pump it through the fresh water lines. During this process the pump will constantly run until turned off inside. For this reason I am considering adding a second pump switch in the wet bay.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #10

State: Florida
THOR #3981
David

Water fill valve that switches from normal, sanitize, fixtures city and city fill. That is the valve I had the issue with. I never turn it to sanitize, but when on fixtures, normal or city fill, water would still fill the portable water tank. When turned on fixtures and city fill, the water pump would not shut off. So I call Anderson Bass 800.476.9876 and explain to them the situation and they set me a new cartridge for the valve (200RV series, valve repair kit) at no charge. It took about 3 days to get.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:39 AM   #11
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
THOR #3510
Hi ! Welcome to rv'ing .. We are in Leavenworth. Last year on a trip to Colorado, we skirted a storm with tornado activity and high winds, at that time pulling our toyhauler, (which we traded for our new Axis ). We have, often, driven in scary weather coming across KS .. my best advice, if you have not already thought of it is, when camped..park...nose towards the oncoming storm !
Enjoy and ...know that this Forum has so many knowledgeable members and everyone is willing to help in any way possible.

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #12

THOR #3949
Thanks for all the information on the valve, I used the instructions to check the valve to see if it was connected correctly and it was but one thing I did notice was that when I was in the sanitize/winter position the valve did not suck and when I was in the tank position it did. I repositioned the handle, now when in normal the pumpe shuts off and all the other positions are working correctly. I did not like the pump that was installed, it was noisy and the installation was let's say not the best. I found a new pump that is much better it pumps 4.5 gallons per minute instead of 2.8 to 3 at 60 psi and is much quieter. I installed the new pump on a 1/4" aluminum plate that has isolator's. It is much quieter, you would not even know it's on except for the light, I have a lot better water flow and pressure, every thing is good now.

The weather in Kansas, can get a little scary at times but it doesn't seam to be as bad as it was in years past, I think tornado ally has move east a little bit. The biggest problem I have with Kansas is the wind, I don't know how the MH drives in a calm wind, so far I have not driven it in winds less then 25 gusting to 35 and that gets a little scary. I have started working on the video system, what a mess. I am installing a satellite system with a King, antenna mounted permanently on the roof and a king, Tailgater as a backup, plunged into the cable plug in the electrical bay. I have gotten the Tailgater, working good but I have not found any kind of a templet for the roof mounted antenna. I have sent an email to Thor, requesting the information but no word back from them yet. I have the 37TB with the bedroom TV mounted on a cabinet door in a slide, does anyone know how to route the antenna coax to the slide?
Old 04-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
David,

Not sure about your TB but on ND the coax runs from the electrical bay connection to a 1 in 3 out splitter in a cavity behind the fireplace. The splitter then has cables that run from there to the 3 televisions. Rather than running a new coax can you locate the splitter and hook in there?
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #14

THOR #3949
Dave,
I have found that one but it is used for the Air antenna, if I use that one I will have to use a coax switch to select either air or satellite but that may be the best way to go.
Thanks,
David
Old 04-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Huff View Post
Dave,
I have found that one but it is used for the Air antenna, if I use that one I will have to use a coax switch to select either air or satellite but that may be the best way to go.
Thanks,
David
Not sure how yours is wired but the coax on mine operates both antenna and cable. The selection is made through the antenna booster. I am going out to the coach this afternoon/evening to acclimate a cat to the RV lifestyle so I will need to check the hookup while I'm out there.

I also noticed on my electrical diagram that the connection for the Vizio subwoofer should be under the couch so I want to see if there is actually one there or if they replaced the subwoofer with the two speakers over the couch.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #16

THOR #3949
Dave,
I am installing a King Dome on the roof of the MH, do any of the drawings you got from Thor, show how thick the roof is and did Thor put any kind of a support in the roof for a Satellite antenna? Do you know what sealer they recommend to seal the antenna?
Old 04-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Huff View Post
Dave,
I am installing a King Dome on the roof of the MH, do any of the drawings you got from Thor, show how thick the roof is and did Thor put any kind of a support in the roof for a Satellite antenna? Do you know what sealer they recommend to seal the antenna?
David,

I went and looked and the roof is one drawing I didn't get. That will be a request to Thor shortly.

I do know from conversations with Thor that they use GEOCEL 2300 Automotive sealant on exterior components. I located the Geocel at my local RV dealer hidden within the Dicor stuff.
FMCA - F432054