Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2017, 01:39 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Hawaii
THOR #10256
Aloha! (dont worry Rv will be on the mainland)

Hello Rvers,

I am new to this forum - we live in Hawaii and my hubby and I are considering buying an RV soonish and leaving it on the mainland to use whenever we can!
We have rented 4 times previously and would like to own one to use in summer and other holiday breaks.
We are looking at the Thor Chateau 22B or Four Winds and would LOVE any and all help, feedback, advice, warnings ha ha that anyone feels like sharing!

I am most likely purchasing in Ohio and leaving it in Las Vegas - long story - but would love it if anyone knows honest dealers/good experience in Ohio!

Thank you! So happy I found this bc I have a lot of questions! Will start digging through the threads soon! Aloha, NC

Old 12-13-2017, 01:56 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome, read up and ask any questions that come to mind.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:01 AM   #3

THOR #10256
Thank you! Winter question??

as I am from Hawaii, I have NO idea what I need to do if we want to stay in the RV in March and April in Ohio. I know "winterize" but have no idea what that means - I have read a few things but this concerns me... Can anyone point me toward a good article or explain in basic terms what I have to do and is it possible for us to stay in this in March in Ohio? Keep in mind it is currently 78 at 4pm here lol jk! Thank you so much for your kindness! NC
Old 12-13-2017, 02:24 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Well if you're running the heater you wouldn't need to winterize: e.g. if you're not freezing the water system won't be freezing either. You'll also want to pick up some electric heaters so you're not having to keep getting propane (at 32F or colder the furnace will suck up a lot of propane).

You'd want to put a little of the pink antifreeze* in the waste tanks as a precaution, however.

If you're afraid that the water system may freeze (leave the RV for a week or something) then you'd want to winterize (pump antifreeze through the fresh water system).

If I were staying any length of time in the RV (more than say a long weekend) I would not winterize it and keep a heater running.

It is possible to stay in an RV with the water system winterized but then you have to bring bottled water, not use the sinks and flush with antifreeze (which would get expensive for any longer duration stays).

Northern Ohio or Southern? (Obviously the further south you are the warmer it will be..)

*=Pink antifreeze is RV safe antifreeze (Amazon) (e.g. non-toxic)
Old 12-13-2017, 03:00 AM   #5

THOR #10256
Columbus, Ohio
Hoping to stay in it March - April - May ...Also I would like to move it sometimes, ie; drive it to different parts of the state then park for a few days etc - not sure if that affects how to winterize it. I will keep reading up and will ask the seller to explain as well! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
Old 12-13-2017, 06:31 AM   #6

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
don't buy in ohio high sales tax, go to south dakota, no sales tax on motor homes
Old 12-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Looking at the Average temps in Columbus for March-April: Looks like you'll only have to worry about the first few weeks, and even at that probably only a few nights where it will get below freezing.

I don't think I'd worry at all about winterizing the coach. There are a few things that you'd want to do on the nights that are forecast for below freezing though (put some water in the tank for overnight use, turn off and unhook the freshwater line so it can drain, close the grey valve--you shouldn't leave the black tank valve open anyway).

Oh and if you're in the Columbus area make sure you take a tour through the Hocking Hills parks..beautiful.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our MadHouse!
Leaving Hawaii??
I know that there's a lot of stuff to see over on THIS big island... but c'mon...

There's a lot of good folks in here, who can answer any question that pops up.
(I'm NOT one of them ...)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #9

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolzhawaii View Post
Columbus, Ohio
Hoping to stay in it March - April - May ...Also I would like to move it sometimes, ie; drive it to different parts of the state then park for a few days etc - not sure if that affects how to winterize it. I will keep reading up and will ask the seller to explain as well! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
ohio is lousy place, service is bad, nothing todo except maybe cedar point in the summer, stay away from cleveland gun violence worse then chicago, nothing really to see, the only good thing the ohio turnpike is rv friendly, the state and local police write tickets for everything,
Old 12-13-2017, 05:49 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Illinois
THOR #10076
I wouldn’t limit yourself to buying only in OH. Google the area Thor dealers and read their reviews to come up with one to start with. I went to several dealers, before buying from Byerly RV, in Eureka, MO, who definitely are not the closest dealer to me.

You’ll only pay sales tax to the state you register in. That means you’ll have to have a VIN number, have it registered, sales tax paid, license plate in hand, and insured, before leaving HI.

Winterizing only takes 5min, if all three tanks and the water heater (5 add’l minutes) are empty. Likewise, it takes very little time to get the water system back in service. Your selling dealer will show you how. Don’t sweat it. For the months you’ve mentioned, the amount of warmth you require for comfort is plenty to keep your fresh water tank warm. If you flush your antifreeze through to your gray and black tanks, I wouldn’t think you’d have any issues. You’d have to experience a very cold freeze to have issues. If that’s forecasted, just turn on your tank heaters. I don’t drink the water from the coach; I buy gallons of spring water, as I don’t want any risk of contamination/chemicals.

Buying without actually experiencing the coach, in person, seems risky. What you see on a floorplan may feel totally different, once you get inside.

From the option list of the coach you’re looking at, here are things I’d consider essential:
•15K BTU A/C - The 13.5K is inadequate in any coach.
•F&R 12V attic fans - They make a big difference in ventilation.
•Tank heaters - Obvious.
•Backup camera - Obvious.
•Electric stabilizing jacks - This will save you from having to use a cordless drill to manually lower the jacks. *This is not the same as a 4-corner leveling system*
•2nd house battery - You’ll be surprised how quickly a single can be drained.
•Keyless entry w/valve stem extenders - The valve stem extenders are necessary to check/fill the tires. It’s a royal pain to do without them. You can get them in the aftermarket, if you’re opposed to the keyless entry and $225 additional cost. It’s beyond me why the wheels don’t have commercial-style, extended stems to begin with.

Southeast OH is a beautiful area to explore.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:53 PM   #11

THOR #10256
Thank you all!! I am LOVING the advice!! Im actually "working"in Ohio and hanging out near Ohio State - not leaving Hawaii - only for a couple of months ha ha ..Keep any and all advice coming I am very grateful! Thank you!!
Old 12-14-2017, 02:25 AM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Aloha to you! Back to your question about dealers in Ohio: We bought from Paul Sherry RV in Piqua, OH because they gave us the best deal with our trade. Had a good experience with them. Suggest you check with them, and also Total Value in Elkhart, IN.

If you are shopping used on RVT.com or RVTrader.com, you need to realize that the coach prices shown are usually wildly higher than their bottom dollar. You were smart to gain some experience with rental RVs, now beware of any coach that has been a rental. Remember the phrase, "Drive it like you rented it!"
Old 12-14-2017, 02:37 AM   #13

THOR #10256
Thank you for that! I did see that dealer and will check them out again. Thank you all for your kindness and help- really appreciate the details. Is there a reference for “good questions to ask” a dealer? Thank you again to all for taking the time- I’m reading all your responses and writing everything down to look into- taxes, things to look for, winterizing, etc! Thank you!!! I’m really grateful!
Old 12-14-2017, 02:43 AM   #14

THOR #10076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
now beware of any coach that has been a rental. Remember the phrase, "Drive it like you rented it!"
Whatever. 🙄

There are many rental units on the market that haven’t been abused, are properly serviced, and have all the bugs worked out of them. My dealer had one from their fleet that looked like new, had complete records, and was ~$10K off from new. I considered it, but, the overall length wouldn’t fit my storage space.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolzhawaii View Post
Thank you for that! I did see that dealer and will check them out again. Thank you all for your kindness and help- really appreciate the details. Is there a reference for “good questions to ask” a dealer? Thank you again to all for taking the time- I’m reading all your responses and writing everything down to look into- taxes, things to look for, winterizing, etc! Thank you!!! I’m really grateful!
Check out Ed's crowd sourced Axis/Vegas manual: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

A lot of the topics in there apply to any Thor motorhome, not just Axis/Vegas units, and there is a good predelivery inspection checklist in it.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:08 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
And yes, if you are going to live in it, no need to winterize. You may have to change a few habits but we full time in ours and are currently in Western NY with about 2 feet of snow. Electric heaters are a must. Bottled water is very helpful as well as you may not find too many places with running water and outside spigots when it is cold.

When it gets REAL cold, you will probably want to keep the slides in (less area to heat as well as better sealed against air leaks) so make sure you find a floor plan that you can handle with the slides in. Also look for a unit with heated tanks (the heaters typically operate when it is under 40 degrees.)

As I type this, it is 15 degrees outside with very light snow flurries. Inside, it is 70 degrees and myself, the Mrs. and the puppies are all quite happy. Of course, we are leaving this coming Monday to head to Virginia to spend the holidays with our kids and then heading further south after the New Year.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:22 PM   #17

THOR #10076
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
Electric heaters are a must.
I’m curious about the heaters you’re using. I was at Walmart looking at heaters, but, grew concerned about amperage draw overwhelming the breakers.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:15 PM   #18

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Whatever. 🙄

There are many rental units on the market that haven’t been abused, are properly serviced, and have all the bugs worked out of them. My dealer had one from their fleet that looked like new, had complete records, and was ~$10K off from new. I considered it, but, the overall length wouldn’t fit my storage space.

Good point, exceptions to almost every rule.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:24 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It wasn't THIS one: was it?

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1513293879
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1188_1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	8233  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:06 AM   #20

THOR #10256
Thank you!!

Thank you for the winterizing explanation. Very helpful! I will wait to hear which heaters you all recommend. Im so grateful to all of you - so many nervous thoughts and questions when one is about to drop a large sum of money on a new adventure - but excited nonetheless. Thank you again and enjoy your holidays!

This website is so great! Thanks! NC