Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-09-2017, 05:43 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 163
Another new member

Hi,
I'm Recie Tyson an own a 2016 Hurricane 29M, now with 8700 miles on it. I've been reading about the mods that "halfprice" and others have been doing to their coaches and enjoying the saga. I've done some they did and find following the experienced people here valuable.
Thanx for all the help and suggestions.
__________________

Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,494
Congratulations on your new coach and welcome to the forum!!! Halfprice, Dino, and several others have come up with some great mods that's for sure. If you need any assistance please ask, lot of very nice people always willing to help!
__________________

__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
Member
 
Bratmanstudio's Avatar
 
State: California
Posts: 81
Hello, we're Rik & Susan Shannon... And we just purchased a ntu 2015 Miramar 34.2 w/ only 10,290 miles on it. We we're looking at Tiffin, FR, GeorgeTown & Winnebago for over a year, maybe 2. We have a pop-up camper but now that our boy scout sons are both 6ft 3+ we needed something bigger. I wasn't in love with Thor's quality to be honest, but noticed recent improvement that they made in the Miramar's quality and seemed all coach builders, even Tiffin, had issues In the fit and finish... But more than that, this floor plan checked off every box me and the DW had. Bed over cab (my daughter's favorite place), outdoor kitchen, big dinette, fold out couch, good size shower, big window in bedroom, freakin' fireplace (we're romantics), can sleep our whole family of 7 comfortably! Love this floor plan! But our biggest surprise, this barely used coach was modded to have an extra sink in the bedroom and totally to our surprise, a second toilet plumbed into the full size closet! Elderly couple owned it and the old man may have needed a short walk (anyone heard of adding a second commode?)! Once the shock left the DW..., with a band of seven, an extra commode she agreed, will come in handy... They also replaced the livingroom/outside tv's to better brands. (I've read the complaints, here.) Anyway here's to "halfprice" and his mods, don't know if he's tried that one yet... We do the final walk thru next Sat. I'll be concentrating on the plumbing.... Wish us luck and thanks for the great advice.
Bratmanstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratmanstudio View Post
Hello, we're Rik & Susan Shannon... And we just purchased a ntu 2015 Miramar 34.2 w/ only 10,290 miles on it. We we're looking at Tiffin, FR, GeorgeTown & Winnebago for over a year, maybe 2. We have a pop-up camper but now that our boy scout sons are both 6ft 3+ we needed something bigger. I wasn't in love with Thor's quality to be honest, but noticed recent improvement that they made in the Miramar's quality and seemed all coach builders, even Tiffin, had issues In the fit and finish... But more than that, this floor plan checked off every box me and the DW had. Bed over cab (my daughter's favorite place), outdoor kitchen, big dinette, fold out couch, good size shower, big window in bedroom, freakin' fireplace (we're romantics), can sleep our whole family of 7 comfortably! Love this floor plan! But our biggest surprise, this barely used coach was modded to have an extra sink in the bedroom and totally to our surprise, a second toilet plumbed into the full size closet! Elderly couple owned it and the old man may have needed a short walk (anyone heard of adding a second commode?)! Once the shock left the DW..., with a band of seven, an extra commode she agreed, will come in handy... They also replaced the livingroom/outside tv's to better brands. (I've read the complaints, here.) Anyway here's to "halfprice" and his mods, don't know if he's tried that one yet... We do the final walk thru next Sat. I'll be concentrating on the plumbing.... Wish us luck and thanks for the great advice.
Nope haven't tried adding an extra commode yet lol.

Best of luck to both of you on your new coaches.

Jerry
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,494
Awww Jerry, go ahead and put in a extra commode, please! Want to see if it can be done, oh, and put it in the closet too!
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:37 PM   #6
Member
 
Bratmanstudio's Avatar
 
State: California
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Awww Jerry, go ahead and put in a extra commode, please! Want to see if it can be done, oh, and put it in the closet too!
Gives a whole new meaning to water closet!
Bratmanstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:53 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratmanstudio View Post
Gives a whole new meaning to water closet!
LMAO
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:20 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 163
Welcome and tire pressure

Thanx SuperD for the nice welcome. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but
Me and the wife are are on a trip up I-15 to Yellowstone NP in said RV.

I saw the post above suggesting adding a commode, and making a true "water closet". I have to agree with sentiment voiced by halfprice. Let us know how that works out 😃 .

I have a question on tire pressure for these Goodyear 245/70R19.5 G670-RV tires. I saw the discussion you and the others on Jerry's mods thread were having on this and it made me check mine. The Goodyear RV tire site is not very specific , compared to the Michelin, but it basically says go with what is posted on the vehicle sticker, which in my case says 82 psi. That is much less than I had them, but after I gave it some thought, I lowered mine down to approx. 82. Better ride, more roll in turns, less jolts over holes. Kinda like the difference, but just a bit nervous about the lower pressure.

Has this been the "typical" pressure range you and others have seen for these tires and vehicles? I'm just wondering about overall wear, longevity, heat build-up, etc.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:42 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
Thanx SuperD for the nice welcome. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but
Me and the wife are are on a trip up I-15 to Yellowstone NP in said RV.

I saw the post above suggesting adding a commode, and making a true "water closet". I have to agree with sentiment voiced by halfprice. Let us know how that works out 😃 .

I have a question on tire pressure for these Goodyear 245/70R19.5 G670-RV tires. I saw the discussion you and the others on Jerry's mods thread were having on this and it made me check mine. The Goodyear RV tire site is not very specific , compared to the Michelin, but it basically says go with what is posted on the vehicle sticker, which in my case says 82 psi. That is much less than I had them, but after I gave it some thought, I lowered mine down to approx. 82. Better ride, more roll in turns, less jolts over holes. Kinda like the difference, but just a bit nervous about the lower pressure.

Has this been the "typical" pressure range you and others have seen for these tires and vehicles? I'm just wondering about overall wear, longevity, heat build-up, etc.
You're right about the Goodyear tire chart, kinda useless, I use the Michelin chart. I've been running 82 psi from day one and am very happy with that pressure.

I'm jealous, love Yellowstone but haven't been there in many years! Beautiful place to be, hope you have a great time there!!!
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:52 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 1,459
82 psi is max tire pressure recommended for the max weight of the coach which is 18000. Going by the chart i should be at a lower psi by a couple pounds but i like the feel at 82 psi so thats what i run.

Higher psi isnt going to hurt the tire but will hurt the ride comfort.

Jerry
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:41 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 163
Thanx for the inputs guys. Like y'all, I like the ride, but was a bit nervous. Also, I haven't decided to pay for a TPMS, although that may have gone up in priority. My 30 years in Aerospace Engineering and a short stint as a SCCA E-Prod crew chief, is reminding me of the need for accurate measuring devices. I have/had 3 different tire Gage's and couldn't trust any of the readings I took😟.

I'll keep them where I have them now. The real problem is getting them inflated "cold". Unless I get up at 0400, there is nothing like cold temps in the homestead or this summer heat.😃
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:48 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,494
I've had this Gauge a long time, one of the most accurate I have found.

https://www.amazon.com/TireMinder-Pr...pressure+gauge
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:54 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 163
I hope to get rig weighed tomorrow. Rig will be in traveling config; about 15-17 gallons of water, between fresh, gray, black, full fuel, two passengers, and about everything we could think of for a 2 wk foray to Yellowstone and back. Along with give away stuff for kids to take for their camping needs.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:52 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 1,459
I bought this guage and really like it. Got tired of all cheap pencil guages i had.

Longacre 2-1/2" Diameter Analog 0-100 psi Deluxe Tire Pressure Gauge P/N 52063 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8I7GTE..._s0dzzbN72SS99


Jerry
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:58 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 163
Thanx Jerry, I'll give it a look. I've got one at home that was a Longacre, but I broke the gauge, so I bought a 0-60 Ashcroft gauge from McMaster-Carr and replaced it. Thinking to do something similar for 0-100-ish but will give the one you linked a look.
At issue is calibration and accuracy of our gauges with respect to Goodyear/Michelin. They also don't give us their Temp/Humidity requirements for "cold" tire temps.. Since breathing air density is pretty variable with temp/humidity, pure N2 use has become popular with tire stores and racers.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:04 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '16 Axis 24.1
State: California
Posts: 905
Auto Meter Gauge

Auto Meter 2164: Tire Pressure Gauge Mechanical | JEGS For those of you that are into vintage autos, you know how good the quality of Auto Meter gauges. I just got this 0-100 psi tire gauge from JEGS. It is the best tire gauge I have ever owned for the money.
axis earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:13 AM   #17
Member
 
Bratmanstudio's Avatar
 
State: California
Posts: 81
Anyone consider nitrogen in their rv tires, or is it too much to maintain?
Bratmanstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:37 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 1,459
The longacre had a very good write up and positive reviews by auto magazines. I just want something consistent and easy to use. Getting close to 82 psi is all im looking for. A pound or two off is nothing for me to worry about

Jerry
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratmanstudio View Post
Anyone consider nitrogen in their rv tires, or is it too much to maintain?
There was a lot of interest in nitrogen for a while, seems to be slowing down now. Some places were charging $30 a tire to convert to nitrogen. If you let all the air out of a tire you still have a huge space with air in it when refilled. Nitrogen is readily available everywhere. IMHO save your money and use regular old air, its 78% nitrogen which is enough for me.
__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 163
Bratmanstudio, HI! Sounds like y'all found the right unit for your family. I hope everything is up to expectation and y'all have many enjoyable trips.

As for N2 in tires, I agree with SuperD. The only reason I had it in some tires I have is because Costco uses it when you get new tires there. Pressures don't fluctuate much with temp, but unless you have an N2 bottle handy, your topping of with air.

Just my $.02
__________________

Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2