Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #12332
Newbie pre purchase question

Hello from Michigan, My wife and I have been thinking about a Thor 24.1 for a while now and think we have found the one. The coach is a 2015 with the 350 chassis, could someone explain the differences in the 450 chassis? Should we walk away from a 350 and continue looking for a 450? Lastly if we move forward with the purchase what are the must have upgrades to make it as safe and comfortable as possible. My Wife has interest in driving it sometimes and that will be important to both of us. Thank You for your time and consideration..

Old 08-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Hello and welcome from Michigan as well.

By "Thor 24.1" I'm assuming you mean Axis or Vegas 24.1 (since I don't think any other Thor motorhome has that model #). If so the first thing you need to do is download and read Ed's excellent crowd sourced owner's manual:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

The first thing I would do after purchase is get the alignment checked--even though it is a used unit you can't assume the previous owner did that (they should have). After that have fun (my wife drives our Axis frequently).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #3

Model: 24.1
THOR #12332
Axis 24.1

Jamie, Thanks for your input and we will heed your advice, we are seasoned campers having moved to a pop up a few years ago, but are now seeking something more substantial as we have dreamed of exploring this beautiful country at our leisure. We are a couple years earlier than originally thought but are excited to discover wintering roaming the country..
Old 08-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
The 2015's had the larger windshield that wrapped back into the roofline. There were some warranty claims about it cracking. Later production models, Thor changed the front of the cab and made the windshield a little smaller to solve the problem. Not sure when the change occurred, but if you had them side by side you could immediately tell the difference.

I believe today they no longer build them on the 350 chassis. The 450 much stronger.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our Band of Merry Travelers!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
The 2015's had the larger windshield that wrapped back into the roofline. There were some warranty claims about it cracking. Later production models, Thor changed the front of the cab and made the windshield a little smaller to solve the problem. Not sure when the change occurred, but if you had them side by side you could immediately tell the difference.

I believe today they no longer build them on the 350 chassis. The 450 much stronger.
For a while the 24.1's were still on the 350 chassis.

Our 24.1 is on the E-350 chassis (when all Axis/Vegas units were on the 350 chassis).

Its basically all about weight: The E-450 can handle more weight. If you're planning on towing something big then the E-450 will be more suited for you; if not then you're fine (our E-350 based Axis pulls a 3800lb car without issue).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
350/450 24.1