Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Maine
THOR #1905
beginning the process

Hi all. My wife and I are new to RV's, never having owned one before. But we are two years out from our planned retirement and have long planned to see the country starting in September 2017, maybe 6 months at a time on the road.

A couple years ago we still had the "romantic" vision of taking our motorcycles on this journey, but recently have realized at our age that really wouldn't be as comfortable as we want, plus riding on separate bikes would be a drag over such a long trip.

A couple months ago we were focused on an Outlaw Toyhauler class A, allowing for the bikes while burning through long miles in comfort together. But so far the Outlaw hasn't gotten us excited due to the lack of a good bed alternative, the loft is too small.

So now we are thinking about a Challenger. Looks perfect except we would need to pull a car, but that's no so bad. We can get lots of riding in over the next two summers and then put the bikes in storage for awhile.

We would love to hear any thoughts from others who have been through this decision process. As of now I think we would be looking to buy in the early summer 2017 to be able to test some before hitting the road in September. Is that enough time in your thought?

Anyway, looking forward to offering more to this forum as we proceed and eventually become an owner. So greetings from Maine, hope to see you on the road in a couple years!

Old 04-29-2015, 11:40 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You could also get a bike trailer and bring them along. You'd have the best of both worlds: An RV you like over the toyhauler and still the ability to bring the bikes.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:15 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Two options other than toy hauler:

A chapter member I rally with a couple of times a year tows a Ford Transit van with his Harley inside the van. He gets to a site unloads the Harley and has both options available. I am not sure however that he within his weight limitations which must be considered.

Option 2 - a small trailer for the bikes and then rent a car when needed. Enterprise rental will pick you up and then take you back after you drop off the car. I did this on my last 2 week trip to multiple locations and it worked well. Only problem is you have to plan Weekday arrivals and departures because most Enterprise locations are not open Sunday and few are open Saturday.

If you like the Challenger there are a few of us on the forum and I believe between us we have all the floor plans covered. My wife and I have the 37ND and well love it.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:30 PM   #4

State: Maine
THOR #1905
Good ideas! Transit van concept won't work for us, the wife insists on riding her own and I can't imagine two bikes would fit. But the travel trailer idea might work if the weight works. More to consider....thanks!
Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 PM   #5

Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
State: Florida
THOR #1907
We are planning on pulling a small trailer behind our new to us 28Z. Just enough for my biketo Bethe extra vehicle while we are traveling. My bike will fit in a 5x10 that won't weigh anything to speak of. Might consider this as an option. Get the coach that best fits you and add a small trailer.

Jim
Old 09-30-2015, 02:34 AM   #6

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 3611
State: California
THOR #576
Outlaw 37RB = real bedroom. Bring the bikes, save the mileage and enjoy a comfy bedroom.

BTW, we love the loft. Put in a CalKing mattress. It doesn't use any of the valuable floorspace and is always clean, quiet and set-up (no folding sleeper sofa).

To each his own.

Safe travels