Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #12734
Being new what should we be looking for in a new class A

We are looking for a dealer in the Tennessee, Georgia area that is not camping World. Too many bad reviews about them. We live outside of Chattanooga and traveling a modest distance is not a problem

Old 08-15-2018, 05:49 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
We purchased our new motor home from Open Roads Complete RV. Flew up from FL. Excellent experience. They even picked us up from the airport in Atlanta.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Look through both front windows of the Class A and spot a Class C on the lot...then go over there.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:37 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’m not on anybody’s payroll but don’t rule CW out entirely. They have the best inventory so looking there will be very enlightening. They also MAY have better prices (provided you are a good negotiator- they are good at it so you need to be as well). And many of us have had an ok experience. Also, just because you buy from them it doesn’t mean you have to use their service department. And finally, I hear tell that CW is trying to improve their service. We’ll see but it wouldn’t surprise me.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:39 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Look for a quality dealer FIRST. You want a dealer that will give you a written pre-delivery checklist showing what was checked and who certified as operational. Second you want to spend at least 24 hours living in the unit BEFORE you leave the lot. Video everything the delivery tech tells and shows you. Believe me, you can not adsorb it all, but is nice to have a record to review when something doesn't operate like you think it should. Take the 24 hours spent in the unit to operate everything including adding water, dumping, operating on generator and inverter power for at least 2 hours. Once you have found a dealer that will work with you ; then and only then. should you start looking at floor plans.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Two things I REALLY like about my A over my C are the huge, easy access storage and the truly fabulous panoramic view through the big windshield and truckers eye view. Seem easier to drive too though some would disagree. On the other hand a C will have front doors and a nice set of collision air bags. On the A about the only thing you have between your body and whatever you happen to his is a fiberglass wall. All in all we like our 29 ft A a whole lot more than we did our 26 ft C. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
I'll sort of go with Beau only in reverse. Find a floor plan you like and then find a dealer you can work with that has what you're looking for.

Remember, this things got to work for you. You didn't say how'd you use it but you don't want to look back and say 'I hate this layout'. If it's just for weekends and a week or two once a year, then floor plan may not be as important to you. If you decide it is, reverse Beau's instruction and find something you're going to like. Then, locate a dealer who has one to sell.

Don't necessarily be brand loyal in the beginning. They're all made like crap - or not. They're all going to have their issues. Just look at this forum. Stuff is going to break.

Hope that helps?
Old 08-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Buddy Gregg just south of Knoxville, I75, easy access, and a good inventory...you can physically start there, just browse, and then have a better aspect of what you really want when you go online shopping.
Personally, and having purchased three different RVs, fifthwheel/truck combo, Class gas, and now our Palazzo diesel pusher, I would not worry about 'where' I purchased it, or whether that particular dealer is 'good' for service work, as long as the price and product is what I want. We lived in west Georgia when we purchased our Blackwood fifth in Florida, and both the Georgetown and Palazzo in Texas. Never been back to that dealer for service, either, as any rv dealer or shop can 'service' me, if I please.

Floor plan/Length is #1(how you're going to use it while you're 'sitting')
Type is #2... do you want to to be 'pulled' by a Ford, or 'pushed' by a Cummins?
[you'll figure it out quickly, but usually after your first two or three RVs!)
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #9

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
THOR #12340
We had our first RV for 30 days, coachmen prism. We traded it in after spending 13 nights in it. We searched and researched for 12 months before we bought it. It didn't work well for us, layout wise. We bought the axis and love it. Headed out this Saturday for a 6 week trip. You'll never know which ones work for you until you live in it for a week or two at a time. Hopefully you choose the right one the first time. We didn't! Lol
Old 08-15-2018, 09:18 PM   #10

THOR #11130
Beware of bias...that's the most important thing you can do!! Most everybody you will talk to will self-confirm how smart they were to buy what they did and how dumb you will be to not follow their lead.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Beau is right: the Dealer makes all the difference in the World!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:48 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Hmm Gritz first posts this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Look through both front windows of the Class A and spot a Class C on the lot...then go over there.
then posts this:

Quote:
Beware of bias...that's the most important thing you can do!! Most everybody you will talk to will self-confirm how smart they were to buy what they did and how dumb you will be to not follow their lead.
Hmm!

Oh I think you should go with a Class C in Class A's clothing (Axis or Vegas); what me biased?? no?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:57 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Opinions are just like noses, and rear-ends:
Everybody has one; some just smell a bit better than the others.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #14

THOR #11130
At least I admit it!!
Old 08-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Opinions are just like noses, and rear-ends:
Everybody has one; some just smell a bit better than the others.
Bob, you may want to retract this post ASAP. Think about it man....THINK!
Old 08-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #16

THOR #11130
Bettyandcharles...as you can clearly see here, we've all had a blast with this threat and thanks for the fun. One fact...we all love what we chose and stand behind it totally. Another fact, we always are looking at every other model and truly see the benefits of all of them...but...every time I see a picture here of another person's coach, regardless of configuration, I get this feeling of "how cool...he did it...very nice!". I think floor plan is most important. Many of the larger 30'+ models have very similar floor plans, be it Class A or Class C. Go shopping, read all you can and base it on how it feels inside. Second, how often will you use it and how far will you travel. Any coach regardless of model is better than no coach. Owning a MH is a real feeling of freedom and accomplishment and any of us would take any other model vs. no coach if we didn't have a choice. Thor does a great job and I would buy the same thing over again. Happy shopping!! We're here for your questions!!! And we'll gladly express our opinions (if you didn't know by now)!!
Old 08-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Totally agree with Gritz there; well said.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Ed,
I wasn't speaking about Gritz: my observation was a general one about opinions.
But thanks anyway!
Old 08-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #19

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #10707
We traded our 2015 C for a 2018 A looking for something I could drive with more confidence — better visibility. Important features are integrated steps, legless awning, 3 TVs, a rear window, huge below storage with rear access, a deep sink that hides dirty dishes when covered, rear twin beds that are about a full 39” wide, Ford engine starts strong every time even after sitting for awhile. Least favorite is the tiny bathroom sink. Don’t rule out CW; so far a good experience for us. Happy (though too infrequent) campers with our Axis 24.1!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4BBF578B-1ECB-4882-87F4-D4340F9477B4.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	12313  
Old 08-18-2018, 02:49 PM   #20

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
There are pluses to both Class A and C.

I prefer the higher class A seating position. Have a buddy that prefers the Super C seating position.

Other things I looked at, just wife and me along with 2 dogs. Buddy has class C same length as mine, I am on 188" wheelbase, his is 158". When we a dragging open race trailers, his get tail wagged.

Find what you like and what you are comfortable living in.

We frequently consider a little bigger but our Vegas has been excellent in both ease of operation and reliability. Between horror stories and extra cost, why bother when I can get Vegas into anywhere I want.

My wife drove the Vegas and a couple class C units and voted for the Vegas. She is very comfortable driving it with or without trailer.

A good inspection/test period prior to signing is important. We spent 4 hours with dealer tech getting all systems rundown. He got a big tip. The dealer is important, you need to be able to depend on them if needed. Our unit has never been back to dealer.

We have had a few issues that I have been able to handle. Watching forum gives insight to potential issues. When people were talking about locks snapping, I left one window unlatched. When ours did break, we were on road and combination of deadbolt and bungee got us home. Took 3 minutes to open door from inside.

We lost power supply in converter. Had board drop shipped to farm in NC and installed easily. I carry a spare water pump and a spare tire.

Being proactive on inspections reduces chance of on road disapointments.