Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-21-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: New York
Posts: 4
From Class B to Vegas 24.1

My husband and I just picked up our new 2016 Vegas last week are in the process of "moving in". After 8 years of taking short road trips in our class B, we are both retired and ready to spend more time on the road with the cat (Percy) that adopted us last year.

We want to start with short trips as we adjust to the larger unit, work through any bugs and get Percy used to traveling. This forum was very helpful during our purchasing decision. Thanks to all that posted info on the Vegas, it feels right for us, being used to the small van, but with some additional benefits of a Class A.
__________________

east2west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
aa9zz's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
Posts: 315
We did the same thing you have done. I owned an Airstream Interstate 3500 and wanted to get something a little larger to take the grandkids with us.

We still have bins that are empty. We adjusted to the lack of space in the Class B and have more room than we need in our 15 Axis. Over the last year and a half we are learning to expand.

I hope you enjoy your new unit as much as we are enjoying ours.

Phil
__________________

aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:01 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
timp410's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by east2west View Post
My husband and I just picked up our new 2016 Vegas last week are in the process of "moving in". After 8 years of taking short road trips in our class B, we are both retired and ready to spend more time on the road with the cat (Percy) that adopted us last year.

We want to start with short trips as we adjust to the larger unit, work through any bugs and get Percy used to traveling. This forum was very helpful during our purchasing decision. Thanks to all that posted info on the Vegas, it feels right for us, being used to the small van, but with some additional benefits of a Class A.
Which Class B motorhome did you own if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks
timp410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: New York
Posts: 4
We had a Roadtrek, Popular 170, which we really enjoyed. It was a little sad to see it go, but our needs have changed.
east2west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: New York
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
We did the same thing you have done. I owned an Airstream Interstate 3500 and wanted to get something a little larger to take the grandkids with us.

We still have bins that are empty. We adjusted to the lack of space in the Class B and have more room than we need in our 15 Axis. Over the last year and a half we are learning to expand.

I hope you enjoy your new unit as much as we are enjoying ours.

Phil
Thanks, I think we will enjoy it, just seems right. We have taken grandkids on trips with the Class B but we all had to sleep in a tent, we are looking forward to having us all sleep inside.
east2west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
bevedfelker's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 845
east2west -- congratulations on joining the Axis/Vegas bunch. Lots of good folks here will answer any of your questions. I compiled a Vegas 24.1 specific manual and checklists. Send me an email at bevedfelker@live.com and I'll send you a copy.
__________________
Ed & Bev Felker
Retired USAF Col and retired Nurse
Traveling with Lily ('Teddy Bear' breed)
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:43 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Connecticut
Posts: 19
I wanted a Class B but ended up buying a Vegas 24.1 last August because the wife wanted more room and we can leave the dog in it at the campground for short periods while we drive the toad. I feel like we're in the "Goldilocks" of motorhomes. Class B'rs say "That's not a van! You're too huge. You don't belong here". The Class A's say "How can you live in that tiny thing?" and the Class C's tell us to go hang out with the Class A's.

During our recent shakedown cruise down through the Shenandoah Valley we found ourselves parked next to a similarly sized 25" Georgie Boy Landau (2004-2006?). In some ways the construction was better: Bedroom & Couch slides, Steel Bus compartment doors, and leveling jacks. However, I think the V8 engine has a lot less horsepower and the bathroom isn't as versatile.
tmshih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
timp410's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by east2west View Post
We had a Roadtrek, Popular 170, which we really enjoyed. It was a little sad to see it go, but our needs have changed.
Thank you, We arein the process of selling or trading in the Axis, for a class b. We are not retired yet so the Axis doesn't get used as much as we thought it would. A class b would be more versatile for our current life style. I am currently struggling with deciding between a Roadtrek CS Adventurous or a Roadtrek 210. We prefer the CS but not sure we want deal with finding service for the Sprinter. The closest service center is 100 miles from us.
timp410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
aa9zz's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
Posts: 315
Don't shy away from the Sprinter because of difficulty finding a service center. Look for larger truck service centers; maybe a Freightliner service shop. Some of the Airstream people even used Peterbuilt centers. Go to the Airstream Class B discussion group and ask a few questions. They are as friendly as the group here.

I do suggest you stay away from a Mercedes center because of the expense. There is little service to do and the ride, comfort and ability to hold it's value is so strong. The 22 mpg was nice too. And, it really was 22.

I sold my unit for the same price that I had purchased it for two years earlier and the person bought it because it was a Sprinter. Google Frieghtliner and Sprinter service and be prepared to sit with the 18 wheelers in the lounge for and hour while the oil is changed. I learned a lot from them too.

I put a lot of miles on my unit and miss it very much. I would trade back today.

If you have specific questions just send a private email.

Phil
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:39 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
timp410's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
Don't shy away from the Sprinter because of difficulty finding a service center. Look for larger truck service centers; maybe a Freightliner service shop. Some of the Airstream people even used Peterbuilt centers. Go to the Airstream Class B discussion group and ask a few questions. They are as friendly as the group here.

I do suggest you stay away from a Mercedes center because of the expense. There is little service to do and the ride, comfort and ability to hold it's value is so strong. The 22 mpg was nice too. And, it really was 22.

I sold my unit for the same price that I had purchased it for two years earlier and the person bought it because it was a Sprinter. Google Frieghtliner and Sprinter service and be prepared to sit with the 18 wheelers in the lounge for and hour while the oil is changed. I learned a lot from them too.

I put a lot of miles on my unit and miss it very much. I would trade back today.

If you have specific questions just send a private email.

Phil
Thank you very much for this information. I was aware of Freightliner as an option but I did not know about the other options. I read on another forum where the Mercedes dealer charged them $700 dollars when they took their Roadtrek in for an oil change. My wife really likes the Spinter so I will take your advice and research other service option. I'm taking my Audi to the dealership tomorrow to have a timing belt replaced because it now has 75k on the odometer. The service cost will be $2,600, the Sprinter sounds like the same type of category. However, I need to make sure DW is happy...lol.
timp410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:30 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Mr Sunshine's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Florida
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410 View Post
Thank you, We arein the process of selling or trading in the Axis, for a class b. We are not retired yet so the Axis doesn't get used as much as we thought it would. A class b would be more versatile for our current life style...
As we roll through life chapters, the right type of RV does, too. Been through a Class C, a trailer with bunks, a big 5th wheel and a 33' Class A in previous stages. We love our Vegas for the way we travel now, can't foresee needing a bigger coach, and aren't ready to pare down to a Class B anytime soon. Our 25.2 is our "goldilocks" coach!

Good luck with your next coach, and welcome to the OP, east2west.
Happy trails, and stay thankful that you're not camping in a tent! (Done that, too!)
__________________
Lessons will be repeated until learned!
Mr Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:47 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
aa9zz's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
Posts: 315
I took my Sprinter to Mercedes dealer and asked for a quote for oil change and immediately drove it off the lot and went to Western Star. The cost was about 25%.That's not 25% less, it's 25% of the Mercedes cost. Not all Mercedes dealers service the Sprinter but those who do make a lot of profit.

I googled Western Star and noticed quite a few in your state. All service Freightliner and most if not all offer warranty service for Sprinter as well. They don't work on the camper portion but take care of the truck very well.

I gave all my service records to the purchaser so I can't look but I remember being quite happy. My Sprinter was a 2010.
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:53 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
timp410's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
As we roll through life chapters, the right type of RV does, too. Been through a Class C, a trailer with bunks, a big 5th wheel and a 33' Class A in previous stages. We love our Vegas for the way we travel now, can't foresee needing a bigger coach, and aren't ready to pare down to a Class B anytime soon. Our 25.2 is our "goldilocks" coach!

Good luck with your next coach, and welcome to the OP, east2west.
Happy trails, and stay thankful that you're not camping in a tent! (Done that, too!)
Lol...you actually made me feel a little better. I have been very unset with myself for not making the right decision the first time around and now having to take beating to correct my mistake. I wanted a class b in the first place and thought the Axis would be small enough to serve us in the same way. I quickly discovered that it was too big. Other than that, I like the Axis and still think you get a lot for your money compared to what else I have seen on the market.
timp410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:09 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410 View Post
Lol...you actually made me feel a little better. I have been very unset with myself for not making the right decision the first time around and now having to take beating to correct my mistake. I wanted a class b in the first place and thought the Axis would be small enough to serve us in the same way. I quickly discovered that it was too big. Other than that, I like the Axis and still think you get a lot for your money compared to what else I have seen on the market.
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. Largest Class Bs today that are almost as long as small Class As indeed make for a tough choice.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:46 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
timp410's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
I took my Sprinter to Mercedes dealer and asked for a quote for oil change and immediately drove it off the lot and went to Western Star. The cost was about 25%.That's not 25% less, it's 25% of the Mercedes cost. Not all Mercedes dealers service the Sprinter but those who do make a lot of profit.

I googled Western Star and noticed quite a few in your state. All service Freightliner and most if not all offer warranty service for Sprinter as well. They don't work on the camper portion but take care of the truck very well.

I gave all my service records to the purchaser so I can't look but I remember being quite happy. My Sprinter was a 2010.
Wow, that is insane!
timp410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:53 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
timp410's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. Largest Class Bs today that are almost as long as small Class As indeed make for a tough choice.
This is true, the extended Sprinter is over 24 feet, I would just keep my Axis before I went that route. I am looking at the 22 foot Sprinter and they are becoming rare. It seems like all the manufacturers are starting to build on the extended van body.
timp410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410 View Post
This is true, the extended Sprinter is over 24 feet, I would just keep my Axis before I went that route. I am looking at the 22 foot Sprinter and they are becoming rare. It seems like all the manufacturers are starting to build on the extended van body.
I think the difference is just under 16 inches; not as much as it may seem. The extended 170 wheelbase model is 24'-2" while the regular 170 wheelbase model is 22'-10". Neither is going to fit in a regular parking spot unless you can hang the rear over the curve (I often do that with my extended Ford and it's just over 20 feet long).

Anyway, I see the appeal in going as long as possible. The extended Sprinter adds over 40 cubic feet of volume, taking it to 530 cubic feet. That's essentially twice the size of older vans like the Chevy used by Roadtrek for shorter models like the 170.

The rear extension also adds nearly 8 square feet of floor space, enough to incrementally provide for a separate shower in lieu of the typical wet bath in Class Bs (although that's not something normally added to Class Bs no matter how large they get).

By the way, have you also looked at ProMaster Class Bs? The longest is only 21 feet but have nearly as much room (in volume) due to their width. At floor level they are 4 inches wider than M-B Sprinters or Ford Transits, with the difference becoming greater as you move up towards ceiling. To me it makes the van feel much more spacious when I'm standing. If they could only tow a decent size trailer they would be a great fit for us.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: New York
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410 View Post
Thank you, We arein the process of selling or trading in the Axis, for a class b. We are not retired yet so the Axis doesn't get used as much as we thought it would. A class b would be more versatile for our current life style. I am currently struggling with deciding between a Roadtrek CS Adventurous or a Roadtrek 210. We prefer the CS but not sure we want deal with finding service for the Sprinter. The closest service center is 100 miles from us.
Something to keep in mind with the Roadtrek, the repairs are costly. Thankfully we were talked into getting the extended warranty and was able to talk them down on the cost of that warranty. We got a 5 year 75,000 mile warranty because I also drove it to work. We felt the Roadtrek was worth the cost because it has everything you could want when traveling and is very well built. The amount of storage is unbelievable, especially when you have to empty it into all those boxes when you buy your new motorhome : ) Overall... we loved it and will miss it.
east2west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 8
We went from a Class B Pleasure Way to a Vegas 24.2 a year ago. I liked the ability to drive the Class B through fast food windows but other than that, the extra space of the RUV Vegas is hands down a lot better. I have the V-10 engine and it as more power than I can use even when towing. I had a lot of problems with the Vegas to fix when it was new but now it is great.
f troop 8th cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 2,929
Interesting, Roadtrek is now owned by a European company:
Roadtrek now part of largest motorhome manufacturer in the worldRoadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog

Chance something you may be interested in: (From the linked article above)
Quote:
Roadtrek will continue making its many Class B brands but – as soon as late this spring – will also roll out some of the Hymer Class B’s as well, built on the Ram ProMaster and Mercedes Sprinter chassis. The HymerCar brand of Class B RVs will likely be the first to be produced in the Roadtrek factory.
__________________

JamieGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



ThorForums.com is not in any way associated with Thor Industries or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2