Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #1
Jet

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #5568
Jet, I'm new on here

I own a 2015 Axis. We have put 15,000 miles on it the last two summers. The only problems I have encountered we a leaky passenger window, awning problems and battery problems. I took it back to the dealer Camper World and got "no" satisfaction. I called Thor and they told me to take where ever I wanted and they would cover it. I did and they did now I'm a happy camper. While it was being repaired I had my main battery replaced with a better grade. I saw where the battery was when I bought it and wondered then how would you ever replace it. Well it took over a hour and two guys to do it. Not sure what you would do if it when dead on th road.
I'm getting around 8.5 miles to the gallon, I'm a little disappointed with that but overall I'm happy with the coach. Oh my wife says the twin beds are to hard to make.😄

Old 09-28-2016, 05:04 PM   #2

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Welcome aboard. Lots of great info here.

Your experience seems to mimic mine. Still a great coach.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #3
Jet

THOR #5568
thanks for the welcome. I'm on the road now sitting in Hot Springs Arkansas . Have you had battery problems? Your right I really enjoy the coach.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #4

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
So far, the battery has not been an issue. It may be because I leave my coach plugged in all the time. I run the engine and the air (on genny) every two weeks.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:58 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I own a 2015 Axis. We have put 15,000 miles on it the last two summers. The only problems I have encountered we a leaky passenger window, awning problems and battery problems. I took it back to the dealer Camper World and got "no" satisfaction. I called Thor and they told me to take where ever I wanted and they would cover it. I did and they did now I'm a happy camper. While it was being repaired I had my main battery replaced with a better grade. I saw where the battery was when I bought it and wondered then how would you ever replace it. Well it took over a hour and two guys to do it. Not sure what you would do if it when dead on th road.
I'm getting around 8.5 miles to the gallon, I'm a little disappointed with that but overall I'm happy with the coach. Oh my wife says the twin beds are to hard to make.😄
Hello Jet we are pretty new on here also. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Old 09-29-2016, 12:40 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome! It's a great community of helpful folks here. Always nice to have more happy campers in the tribe! Your experiences and challenges will add to the collective knowledge!
Old 09-29-2016, 01:07 AM   #7
Jet

THOR #5568
Thanks Mr.Sunshine..
Old 09-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #8

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Welcome. I am also new to the forum but have gained some valuable information/advise reference my first MH.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #9
Jet

THOR #5568
Hi Joe Florida also,
Old 09-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Welcome to the Forum. I have the 2015 Axis also with about 8500 miles on it and am dreading the day I have to replace my chassis battery, but maybe it will last a few more years anyway.

Lots of knowledgeable folks on here if you need help.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #11
Jet

THOR #5568
Hi Larry,
When I saw where the battery was when I looked at the coach it bothered me. The salesman said don't worry it drops down to remove. I never looked to see if he knew what he was talking about shame on me... I think my mechanic had to remove some of the air conditioning to get it out,
My house battery's went dead the first year but were replaced by Thor. My past experience with motor homes and battery's are not good. It seems to me that the storage switch doesn't disconnect everything so the battery's are drained. When I had my mechanic change mine he also put a complete cutoff switch in the front of my engine. I haven't had a problem since.. Keeping fingers crossed,,
Old 09-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Hi Larry,
When I saw where the battery was when I looked at the coach it bothered me. The salesman said don't worry it drops down to remove. I never looked to see if he knew what he was talking about shame on me... I think my mechanic had to remove some of the air conditioning to get it out,
My house battery's went dead the first year but were replaced by Thor. My past experience with motor homes and battery's are not good. It seems to me that the storage switch doesn't disconnect everything so the battery's are drained. When I had my mechanic change mine he also put a complete cutoff switch in the front of my engine. I haven't had a problem since.. Keeping fingers crossed,,
From what others have said about replacing the chassis battery, the drop down for lap tops, etc. on the passenger side must be removed along with some woodwork underneath to access it and lift it upward into the cab area. Sounds like a real PIA to change out.

Thus far, I have had no problems with any of my batteries. Doesn't seem to be draining them while in store mode or perhaps only a negligible amount. The battery indicator for the house batteries has never shown below 3/4. I run the gennie for an hour once a month while in storage and don't keep it plugged into shore power.

Keeping my fingers crossed too since I have the Harris batteries that so many have had their share of problems with.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #13

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Hi Joe Florida also,
Looks like you guys are over and up from Lake 0. We ride our Trikes up in that area some and really like it. Right now we are getting ready to start back home and are watching the development of Matthew.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry
From what others have said about replacing the chassis battery, the drop down for lap tops, etc. on the passenger side must be removed along with some woodwork underneath to access it and lift it upward into the cab area. Sounds like a real PIA to change out.
I believe that Thor changed this procedure at some point and made it easier to get the battery out the front. Of course I don't know what model year that changed though..
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:19 PM   #15
Jet

THOR #5568
I also read about removing the passenger side to replace the battery,to much work for me...
Old 09-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #16
Jet

THOR #5568
I hope they changed it. Would like to meet the dumbass who designed it..
Old 10-06-2016, 11:32 PM   #17
Jet

THOR #5568
Just finished 2,600 mile 2 week trip. No problems with my Axis. Would like to get better than 9.8 mpg with no tow.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:59 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet
Just finished 2,600 mile 2 week trip. No problems with my Axis. Would like to get better than 9.8 mpg with no tow.
Sadly your options are: A) drive slower, or B) Get a smaller camper without the V-10 in it. The V-10 is a thirsty beast.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:29 AM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
THOR #1907
Welcome to the forum. You should be very thankful you are not in Florida right now. Just a little rain storm named Matthew is wreaking havoc on us now.
Glad you enjoy your MH. We love our 28Z and like you wish for better mileage.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:31 AM   #20

Brand: DRV
Model: 36rssb
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3288
At least gas is cheap for now.