Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2017, 12:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #6919
Smile Buying new 2017 Axis Wednesday...Yipeee!!!!

Can't wait, never been camping, except once I accompanied my daughter on a field trip to the keys for eighth grade, but that doesn't count I'm sure...lol. RV dealer holding 25.5 and 24.1 to see which one we will choose, can't make up our mind till we see both side by side. The 25.5 is unique and hardly any out there so have not seen any in person. Heard some bad comments about the Axis and Vegas but I'm assuming that these are rather limited so on the whole I'm hoping that we're making a good decision. AND I love that I've joined such a great group of travelers!!!! I'm hoping to get really SMART from all of you, so thank you in advance. We live in Cornelius, NC and can't wait to start traveling and meeting up with other who like this kind of life. We are retired and have 3 little yorkie girls so hoping the camping lifestyle will also work for them as well. Any tips on must haves as far as gear? (Besides a corkscrew and bottle opener...lol?) Also, planning on purchasing an extended warranty and heard great things about protective /xtrarider service contract. Any idea on how much say a 7 year costs and what kind of deductible to purchase? I also see they offer an optional tire and repair service which is probably the most important to purchase. Your comments, advice and tips are ALL appreciated!!!!! Karen

Old 03-27-2017, 01:15 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Be sure to download Ed's excellent crowd sourced manual on the Axis 24.1 (most of it will also apply to the 25.5). Read before looking--you'll be a lot smarter.
Download it here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

Take your time, and most of all: have fun.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:48 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Congratulations on which ever coach you choose, sure you will be happy and have fun!!! Not a big fan of extended warranties, can be expensive, especially if you roll them into your financing. Read the fine print on who and where work can be done, most require advance notification before work can be done.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:11 AM   #4

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenr View Post
Can't wait, never been camping, except once I accompanied my daughter on a field trip to the keys for eighth grade, but that doesn't count I'm sure...lol. RV dealer holding 25.5 and 24.1 to see which one we will choose, can't make up our mind till we see both side by side. The 25.5 is unique and hardly any out there so have not seen any in person. Heard some bad comments about the Axis and Vegas but I'm assuming that these are rather limited so on the whole I'm hoping that we're making a good decision. AND I love that I've joined such a great group of travelers!!!! I'm hoping to get really SMART from all of you, so thank you in advance. We live in Cornelius, NC and can't wait to start traveling and meeting up with other who like this kind of life. We are retired and have 3 little yorkie girls so hoping the camping lifestyle will also work for them as well. Any tips on must haves as far as gear? (Besides a corkscrew and bottle opener...lol?) Also, planning on purchasing an extended warranty and heard great things about protective /xtrarider service contract. Any idea on how much say a 7 year costs and what kind of deductible to purchase? I also see they offer an optional tire and repair service which is probably the most important to purchase. Your comments, advice and tips are ALL appreciated!!!!! Karen
I would suggest a level of caution when it comes to the "extras" that the dealership will want to sell you to make you "feel safer".... Our dealer tried to sell us the Tryon (sp?) safety wheel rings... something that is supposed to make a blowout safer... read up on it a year ago and forgot the specifics already... Lots of extra money and a real waste of money in my opinion. Here was one we were hooked into because I thought I was getting something special like a Teflon coating that would really mean something... PermaPlate finish on the exterior. I am embarrassed to say what I paid for it so I'll leave it up to your imagination. One year later in the SoCal sun and the top of our front cap is heavily oxidized anyway. They are supposed to cover oxidation but it looks like the company has already changed ownership so we will see. if I had to do it over again I would have saved that money to pay for a yearly detailing job. Suggest you do your research on each extra and don't be afraid to share on this forum. Good luck and good travels.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:38 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome! Your excitement is contagious! I am also not a fan of extended warrantours. A roadside contract worked well for us one year when the tires on our last coach were near their demise, but aside from that one season, we haven't bought or needed road service. If you want that peace of mind, check out Good Sam's offering.

Take your time in both coaches, and think about how you'll use it. We wouldn't trade our, 25.2 for either of those, but your preferences may vary from ours.

Be sure you get an alignment by a shop equipped for trucks. Best to do that loaded for travel.

When you download End's manual, there is a Pre Delivery Inspection checklist. Take that and a video camera when they show you how everything works,
Old 03-27-2017, 06:59 AM   #6

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Quote:
On every trip at the rv campsites we meet new people and have a great conversation (met Axis Earl once). I got a Good Sam/CW 6 year warranty ($3400) which can be used at any repair center with prior approval. I have the roadside assistance also. The paint treatment is BS and are most other addon things. Most units come with all the options with the Axis Vegas there are only a handfull - we did not get the oven but the 15BTU AC, fans and tank heaters are good ones. We have the exterior TV but have never used it since we don't tailgated maybe someday. During first year you will most likely encounter most of your problems or you can be one of the lucky ones.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #7

THOR #6919
Axis 25.5 and 24.1

Anyone have the 25.5? Trying to decide by Wednesday which one to pick. 25.5 is the one with twin beds converting to king with bathroom in back. If so, do you like it and are the twins wide enough without adding the extra piece?
Also on the 24.1 anyone have problems with tiny shower and water spilling out from curtain? Wondering if i can live with smaller closet and no pantry. Anyone have experience with extended warranties and pricing? lastly anyone find the need to add stablizers?

THANK YOU GUYS!
Old 03-27-2017, 04:15 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenr
Also on the 24.1 anyone have problems with tiny shower and water spilling out from curtain? Wondering if i can live with smaller closet and no pantry.
The newer model years of the 24.1 have come with the Arc shower curtain rod which holds it out from the shower near the top (I installed one on my 2014 to get the same result). This makes the shower pretty usable--we haven't experienced any water on the floor other than that when you get out of the shower.

On the 24.1 you have two options for the pantry: Either the cabinet above the sink, or the "hatches" above the slide. In our case we use the cabinet above the sink, the dishes go in the drawers under the stove (we don't have an oven) and the "hatches" above the slide are used for disposable items (zip lock bags, paper plates, plasticware, etc. I also keep the Thor bag in there, maps, level, our campground binder, cook books, etc. in the front one). This arrangement has worked out well for us. (For as long as we've had an RV we've always used the microwave as a "bread drawer" to make use of that "extra storage" since the microwave only gets used at mealtime.)

When Thor first announced the 25.5 floorplan there was considerable discussion here. A few of us didn't like the drawback of that plan: When the two rear beds are made up as one large bed there is no way someone else in the camper (say someone sleeping on the front bunk) can get to the bathroom without disturbing those on the larger bed. (Granted not an issue if it will always be only two people--for now there are always 3 of us camping.)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #9

THOR #2526
do a search on Safe-T-Plus in the forums and you can read multiple ideas on steering stabilizers on Axis Vegas.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:49 PM   #10

THOR #3483
Quote:
https://tyron.com/ This was one of the add-ons they tried big-time to sell us. I cannot remember how much extra but as I recall it was over $2k.... I have read more against them than for them. Stick with an alignment and Saf-T-Plus stabilizer and you'll do much better than I did.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
Quote:
Anyone have the 25.5? Trying to decide by Wednesday which one to pick. 25.5 is the one with twin beds converting to king with bathroom in back. If so, do you like it and are the twins wide enough without adding the extra piece?

Also on the 24.1 anyone have problems with tiny shower and water spilling out from curtain? Wondering if i can live with smaller closet and no pantry. Anyone have experience with extended warranties and pricing? lastly anyone find the need to add stablizers?

THANK YOU GUYS!

Hi Karen

Welcome!!! I agree , your excitement is infectious. With respect to the shower in the 24.1. , I have to admit that the shower is my least favorite part of the Axis. Since there are 4 of us the 24.1 was our best option. That being said , I prefer to shower in my RV rather than the parks shower facilities. The water does stay in the pan . I use the shower head as a handheld and try to always point it toward the back of the shower wall which requires a lot of turning around, but in the end requires less effort to dry the shower liner. Sorry if my Axis shower dance was TMI !
Old 03-27-2017, 09:34 PM   #12

THOR #6919
Thor Axis/Vegas Model Covers - Anybody find one that fits?

Since Thor doesn't make any for this motor home has anyone found one that fits this baby?
Thanks

And thank you all for responding to my other questions thus far as a newbee on purchasing one of these. I have yet to get around to thanking each one of you individually which I will do.

I must admit I am clueless about the comment someone made about their "campground binder", what is that? and what is their "level"????? LOL
Old 03-27-2017, 10:00 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepesce View Post
Hi Karen

Welcome!!! I agree , your excitement is infectious. With respect to the shower in the 24.1. , I have to admit that the shower is my least favorite part of the Axis. Since there are 4 of us the 24.1 was our best option. That being said , I prefer to shower in my RV rather than the parks shower facilities. The water does stay in the pan . I use the shower head as a handheld and try to always point it toward the back of the shower wall which requires a lot of turning around, but in the end requires less effort to dry the shower liner. Sorry if my Axis shower dance was TMI !
From what I have been reading here the steering stabilizer makes a big difference in comfort while driving so I am going for it right off along with the built in surge supressor!

Here's what JamieGeek is recommending:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 03-27-2017, 10:03 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenr
Since Thor doesn't make any for this motor home has anyone found one that fits this baby?
Thanks

And thank you all for responding to my other questions thus far as a newbee on purchasing one of these. I have yet to get around to thanking each one of you individually which I will do.

I must admit I am clueless about the comment someone made about their "campground binder", what is that? and what is their "level"????? LOL
Thor doesn't make any cover for any unit they sell (likewise automakers don't make covers for their cars either). You have to go aftermarket for a cover. Since the Vegas/Axis units are built on Van frames (Class-Cs) you'll find that the Class C covers fit better. I picked up one for our Axis:

LOL! "campground binder": Its simply a binder I keep with all the campground brochures/maps that they give you when you check in. Thus when we run into people while camping and start talking about prior adventures I can check the binder "Oh yeah we've been there, stayed in site XXX".

Our "level" is this: RV EZ Level.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:04 AM   #15

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I would suggest a level of caution when it comes to the "extras" that the dealership will want to sell you to make you "feel safer".... Our dealer tried to sell us the Tryon (sp?) safety wheel rings... something that is supposed to make a blowout safer... read up on it a year ago and forgot the specifics already... Lots of extra money and a real waste of money in my opinion. Here was one we were hooked into because I thought I was getting something special like a Teflon coating that would really mean something... PermaPlate finish on the exterior. I am embarrassed to say what I paid for it so I'll leave it up to your imagination. One year later in the SoCal sun and the top of our front cap is heavily oxidized anyway. They are supposed to cover oxidation but it looks like the company has already changed ownership so we will see. if I had to do it over again I would have saved that money to pay for a yearly detailing job. Suggest you do your research on each extra and don't be afraid to share on this forum. Good luck and good travels.
Interesting development when it comes to the PermaPlate warranty we purchased with our 2016 Axis. Filed a claim a few months back because the top of the front cap became severely faded. A contractor came out and he buffed and waxed. A few weeks later it looks like it wasn't touched. Just talked to PermaPlate today and they want me to get estimates to have the front cap painted. I will let you know how this whole thing proceeds.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:09 AM   #16

THOR #7502
Quote:

THANK YOU GUYS!
We chose the 2017 Thor Vegas and are getting used to it because we need the slide. We started off many years ago with a Roadtrek Class B...and the Vegas has much more room than that so we are learning to adapt...most of all we don't take as much "stuff"...find we don't need to take so many paper towels, plates, sweaters etc. It is very freeing.

The hardest part for us is reaching up into the storage areas above the twin beds. We often need to use a step and we try to make sure we put our most needed items in the most easily accessible storage areas. I buy see through plastic storage bins from Walmart that fit each space, and fill them with like items...each person's underwear and socks in one bin for example. Beats groping through those high cabinets for an item.

As for the shower, we listened to other recommendations on this Forum, and added one sheet of lucite on the wash basin side. We're getting used to showering while being careful to keep the shower curtain within bounds. Seems to work well now. We learn something new each trip.

Enjoy your rig!
Old 08-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #17

THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunners View Post
We chose the 2017 Thor Vegas and are getting used to it because we need the slide. We started off many years ago with a Roadtrek Class B...and the Vegas has much more room than that so we are learning to adapt...most of all we don't take as much "stuff"...find we don't need to take so many paper towels, plates, sweaters etc. It is very freeing.

The hardest part for us is reaching up into the storage areas above the twin beds. We often need to use a step and we try to make sure we put our most needed items in the most easily accessible storage areas. I buy see through plastic storage bins from Walmart that fit each space, and fill them with like items...each person's underwear and socks in one bin for example. Beats groping through those high cabinets for an item.

As for the shower, we listened to other recommendations on this Forum, and added one sheet of lucite on the wash basin side. We're getting used to showering while being careful to keep the shower curtain within bounds. Seems to work well now. We learn something new each trip.

Enjoy your rig!
we use a folding step - lays flat when not needed. We have a leveling system and if the site is way off we use it as an entrance step too.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #18

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Welcome! We bought a new Axis 25.5 on the 3rd of this month. The floor plan works well for our needs. If you haven't noticed already, while the 25.5 has more interior storage and a larger bathroom and shower than other models but it gives up exterior storage and has much less than other Axis/Vegas models. And, as noted previously, if you have it set up in the king bed mode, the only way to the rear bathroom for anyone else in the unit is climbing across the king bed. This won't be a problem for us as we intend to have beds in the twin mode.
On another note, be sure to have the dealership operate and demonstrate everything in the unit to show that it works. All the TV's, radios, exterior cameras, generator, etc. and switch it thru from shore power to coach power to generator power. The day we took delivery of ours, it was almost closing time and, because we'd had other motor homes and travel trailers, and knew how most everything worked, we skipped much of this step. BAD DECISION on our part! After having the unit home for 3 days, we found several things not working properly, the worst being the inverter/charging system that was severely over charging our coach batteries. Also, the dash radio blew a fuse, which also knocked out the side mirror TV cameras, the tag light wire was broken and the coax cable to one of the TV's was ripped lose. Our brand new 25.5 went back to the dealership for warranty repairs to all the above and is STILL THERE!, despite calls to Thor Customer Care and the gen. manager of the corp. that owns the America Choice dealerships. Hoping we get it back this week but there's no guarantee of that. So, check out everything thoroughly. Hope you have better luck with your new 25.5 than we have so far.