Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4171
air conditioner drains

Hi am new to this forum and hope I can learn to navagate through it. I purchased a Vegas 25.2 so I am new to class A. I notice the air conditioner has no drains so the condensation runs down the sides of the coach and onto the awning. Have any of you had this problem ? Thor says to live with it ! Thanks for a reply

Old 05-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yes: none of our campers had an A/C drain (2 travel trailers, 1 5th wheel, and the Axis). They drained on the roof and depending how the camper was tilted the water would run off in a number of places.

On our Axis it always seems to run off on the hinge side of the entry door (the right side of the awning). I had thought about either putting some channels on the roof, or a drain tube to direct that somewhere--haven't been up there to investigate which would be more feasible.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! You'll find a lot of good folks and good information here. Be sure you download Ed's excellent crowd sourced manual.

The real problem with the drips seems to be that there are no gutters on the Vegas/Axis. Wondering why that is. I looked into adding drip rail molding, but moved on to other projects. Would really be nice over the awning.

Mr Obvious suggests you set the driver side of your coach just a bit lower when you level, or block the right side up on level sites.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
My driver's corner is always a bit low so the A/C drains down the side right in front of the living room slide.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Missouri
THOR #4446
We are having the same issue with our Hurricane. Looking into drip rails but not sure if they will stick on the fiberglass. Has anyone else installed drip rails and if so what brand?
Old 06-30-2016, 07:57 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Jamie,

Did you ever get up on top to see if a drain tube could be attached to the AC on the roof?

Since the DW read about GMazz's ladder separation/fall she has become concerned with me heading up on the roof.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:45 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
No; haven't used it in warm enough temps with the condensation dripping somewhere to remind me to do that LOL.

I have been up on the roof using the ladder several times without incident. The ladder does feel a bit flimsy but no more flimsy than the one Keystone installed on our old 5th wheel.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:51 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Jamie,

I have some time off next week and I have my trusty 12ft ladder, may venture up on the roof to see if there is a way to connect a drain tube to the AC.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:16 AM   #9

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I placed gutters along side of the Hurricane which worked very well - now the water is channeled to the front or back - course the black streaks are concentrated there as well but at least I do not have water coming down the awning anymore
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I've been using this Capt Chomp Black Streak Remover. Works really well, even on those black streaks that have been there a long time.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #5301
What type/brand of gutters did you install? We are struggling with the condensation running on to our awning.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbean View Post
What type/brand of gutters did you install? We are struggling with the condensation running on to our awning.
Trim-Lok

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
Hi am new to this forum and hope I can learn to navagate through it. I purchased a Vegas 25.2 so I am new to class A. I notice the air conditioner has no drains so the condensation runs down the sides of the coach and onto the awning. Have any of you had this problem ? Thor says to live with it ! Thanks for a reply
All Coleman and Dometic A/Cs are available with condensate pumps. If the drips bother you, you can have your A/C fitted with a condensate pump and route the line to the gray waster vent stack.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #14

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
WOW...that's a lot of water into the gray tank. Last weekend in South Georgia, both A/C's ran all weekend. I did tilt the coach a tad to driver's side as explained above. There was enough condensation pooled on the full wall slide topper to swim in and I didn't see it till we closed walls when leaving. I'm up for gutters if anyone can find a solution that works.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #15

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
We have same issue with our Axis. I got a sample piece of drain channel from Trim-Loc and, at least for now, have decided against installing it. I can't see how I could install it above the awning; there's just not enough space to get the 3/4" wide Trim-Loc fitted in between the roof edge and the awning. It probably could be installed on the driver's side of our coach, above the slide and I may do this someday. One thing I learned the hard way. About 6 weeks ago, we were camped for about 3 days in SC and were running the A/C 24/7, because it was HOT and very HUMID. Our awning was extended and, I guess we had a very slight list to the awning side of our Axis. Normally, I pull down the back end of our awning slightly and tie it in place with a length of parachute cord. I do this so if it rains, water will run off, rather than collect in the awning, possibly damaging it. I hadn't done this for the first couple of days we were camped there because no rain was expected and when I did get around to dipping the awning down, I got an unexpected shower, from about 10 gal. of water that our A/C unit had drained on to our awning. So, NEVER forget to slightly lower one end (preferably the back end) of your awning. if you dip the front end of the awning, it will drip right next to the door; close enough that if your door opens widely, it will drip on the inside of the doorway. RV'ing is always a learning experience.