Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #4980
Just Bought ACE 30.1 Yeah!!!! Need Help

Hello, I am new to RV. Just retired and bought ACE 30.1. Please tell me the things I need to know first. Taking it to Nashville this weekend. Thanks

Old 08-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #2

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Did you buy used or new? Did you buy from a dealer? Did you get a Pre-Delivery Inspection and did someone demonstrate how systems worked and what switches operated?
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:06 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
The most important tip I can think of on your model is when you operate the slide run it all the way. Don't stop until it's all the way in or out and hold on for a couple seconds after its all the way. The motors get out of sinc if you don't. Sand with the over head bunk bed.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:27 AM   #4

THOR #2601
I don't know if you have a Use/Store switch that disconnects the house batteries when in Store. The house batteries will o my charge when the switch is in Use. The batteries should also charge from the engine's alternator when driving down the road -- but Use/Store must be in Use.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 08-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #608
30.1 owner

Hi. I have a 2013 model but haven't used it very much and only short local trips at that. However, so far I have had very little problems, the largest being a rusting rear bumper which Thor replaced under warranty.

I just replaced the original coach batteries which don't seem to be very good and I recently replaced the water pump. Also a dealer quality issue, I think. Only other issue was leaking joints at the grey water dump valve fitting, which required replacement. Compared to most peoples reported RV experience I have gotten off easy, but then I have only put on 5000 miles. (Just remembered the highly annoying knocking coming from the sidewall near the driver which lots of folks have mentioned and for which I haven't seen any good solution.)

It took me awhile to understand the battery disconnect sw. Basically, in "Use" position any source of AC will charge all 3 batteries in the RV and no charging of coach batteries can occur while in the "Store" position.

If you have any specific questions I am glad to try to help.

Chuck
Old 08-10-2016, 02:14 AM   #6

THOR #4980
I am on the learning curve. We just took it for an overnight trip and the hot water heater did not work. We tried to heat from the 110 connection but it would not heat. The pilot light showed that it was out. We tried to start it with the LP but it would not light. Not sure what is going on with that. Any suggestions.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:16 AM   #7

THOR #4980
We bought from an individual. We are having to learn basically on our own. Huge learning curve.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:16 AM   #8

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog22 View Post
I am on the learning curve. We just took it for an overnight trip and the hot water heater did not work. We tried to heat from the 110 connection but it would not heat. The pilot light showed that it was out. We tried to start it with the LP but it would not light. Not sure what is going on with that. Any suggestions.
Don't have any ac water heat, just LP on my rig. If the stove works OK then I would suspect the ignition at the heater. Works about like a gas fireplace. Good luck
Old 08-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Quote:
We bought from an individual. We are having to learn basically on our own. Huge learning curve.
down load Ed manual, that will help a lot
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Here is a link to a video on troubleshooting the Attwood water heater. If the water heater is working on LP but not electric it could be the thermal cutoff. That is one item that should be in the spare parts box as you get one together.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:08 PM   #11

THOR #3952
Quote:
If you had your gas valve turned off it sometimes takes a while for the gas to get to the water heater. I usually turn on all the burners on the stove to get the gas flowing after turning off the gas.
We've used our 30.1 about 6 times and love it. We bought it with 6000 miles on it 2014 model. I have fixed a few things the biggest was a leak in the shower. The drain fitting on the shower had pressure on it and cracked. Thor did put a great access cover for the drain in the wheel well.
I also re caulked the shower door frame on the inside bottom as it was leaking.
If you camp when it is really hot you may consider a second AC unit. I added one in place of the vent fan in the bedroom. Glad I had it in Water Country a couple weekends ago with 3 grandkids going in and out it was difficult keeping it cool.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #12

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2766
New ACE 30.1

We have a new ACE too. We moved up from a Vegas that we bought last year. The Vegas was great overall, but just not enough room for us. So we went with the ACE. It is a 2017 model and for the most part very similar to the Vegas we had. Couple of issues that have come up. The generator timer doesn’t work. No idea how much time is on the generator. The screen just stays blank. The status lights next to the timer that indicate how full the various tanks are keep changing. One moment the propane tank is full, come five minutes later and there is only a quarter of a tank left. Same for the black and gray water tanks. Just empty them and they show they are empty, come back five minutes later and they ae 2/3 full. So taking this into have it fixed.

Radio on the dash. Connect to my phone via Bluetooth – same radio and phone I had when we had the Vegas. People can hardly hear me when I talk on the phone and it is connected via Bluetooth to the radio. Moved the microphone so it is closer to the steering wheel – same spot it was on the Vegas. No help. Went through the manual the other night and saw multiple notices to call the company before taking back to the store if there were any problems. The company said often RV builders don’t plug the microphone in all the way in the back of the radio and suggested I take the radio out and make sure it is correctly plugged in. I will try that this weekend.

Last two real issues are this banging I hear when I am driving and take a corner. It sounds like something is rolling around and bangs into something else. This is on the driver’s side. I have looked around trying to find the source – I have started to wonder if the builder left a tool or something else in a hole when it was built. The other is the whistling the rig makes when I get to about 45 mph. It is intermittent at that speed, but becomes loud and constant when I reach 55. I have tried to find the source for this but so far no luck.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #13

THOR #2601
Erik -- had same ki d of whistle on my 2015 Vegas. Eventually water started leaking in at the top right corner of the windshield on drivers side. Dealer found the seal was not complete. They fixed it and no more whistle.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 08-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #14

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Erik -- had same ki d of whistle on my 2015 Vegas. Eventually water started leaking in at the top right corner of the windshield on drivers side. Dealer found the seal was not complete. They fixed it and no more whistle.

Thanks. Sounds like it is coming from above the bunk area. Being summer there hasn't been much rain but I am worried when the rains start there will be a leak. My brother in law also has an ACE and he says he only hears whistling when driver side window is locked. When he leaves the latch down (unlocked) he doesn't hear it. Tried this and no joy.