Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2017, 03:53 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #6419
Hello

Hi everyone, been prowling around here for some time, reading and trying to learn as much as possible from this very informative community. We just purchased after much research a 2017 Thor Axis 25.2. The deciding factor was my wife fell in love with this floor plan. I had other ideas including some nice class B's and even some C's (Winnebago View and Leisure Travel Van Unity) but she really liked the Axis 25.2 and this arrangement and so here we are.
I like a lot about it, too, but still working hard on the driveability. Have installed the Safety plus steering stabilizer, front end alignment (steeing wheel was considerably off center and, I think, still is) and recommended tire pressures, although, have not had the opportunity to weigh the vehicle in the manner in which we will be using it. It's not bad but I have to think it can be made to be less gnarly on anything but the smoothest, flattest least crowned roads but maybe I'm wrong.
The tires on the Axis are 225/75/16 -- even my Chevrolet Tahoe and Silverado are shoe'd with 265/65/18 wheels and tires carrying 2/3 less weight than the Axis. It would seem to me if the much heavier Axis had more ample footing it might be more amenable to better handling. Please tell me where this is wrong. There are many things about the Axis that I like but if I can't make it behave better, the enjoyment factor (driving) will go away pretty quickly.
Hey, this is a great forum, I'm glad to be here and look forward to your responses. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:08 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Congratulations on your new coach, hope you enjoy many safe and happy miles!!! Be sure you downloaded Ed's Great manual. Welcome to the forum!
Old 03-04-2017, 06:05 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhortho1 View Post
Hi everyone, been prowling around here for some time, reading and trying to learn as much as possible from this very informative community. We just purchased after much research a 2017 Thor Axis 25.2. The deciding factor was my wife fell in love with this floor plan. I had other ideas including some nice class B's and even some C's (Winnebago View and Leisure Travel Van Unity) but she really liked the Axis 25.2 and this arrangement and so here we are.
I like a lot about it, too, but still working hard on the driveability. Have installed the Safety plus steering stabilizer, front end alignment (steeing wheel was considerably off center and, I think, still is) and recommended tire pressures, although, have not had the opportunity to weigh the vehicle in the manner in which we will be using it. It's not bad but I have to think it can be made to be less gnarly on anything but the smoothest, flattest least crowned roads but maybe I'm wrong.
The tires on the Axis are 225/75/16 -- even my Chevrolet Tahoe and Silverado are shoe'd with 265/65/18 wheels and tires carrying 2/3 less weight than the Axis. It would seem to me if the much heavier Axis had more ample footing it might be more amenable to better handling. Please tell me where this is wrong. There are many things about the Axis that I like but if I can't make it behave better, the enjoyment factor (driving) will go away pretty quickly.
Hey, this is a great forum, I'm glad to be here and look forward to your responses. Thanks in advance.
Congratulations! Let me comment about your thoughts on tire size. Remember, your chassis is actually an E450, not a pure truck chassis, so I wouldn't get too concerned that you have undersized tires. I will say that you should get your vehicle professionally weighed and the service people will recommend your proper tire pressures. This will make a huge difference on how it drives. Your alignment and the Saf-T-Plus should have taken care of the need for any other improvements. Just wondering if you have taken to your unit to an RV service center that is actively engaged in your concerns too. I had the same things done to our 24.1 when we first brought it home and they made a huge improvement. Remember, as some people have been told on this forum, these are not sedans and will never handle like one.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.

So far you've only dipped your toe into the whole suspension modification area! LOL Read around here, there are plenty of options and opinions about what is the best way to go (new sway bars, Sumo Springs, etc.). If you dig back far enough in the forum I've even posted a "how to drive your Axis/Vegas" thread: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...egas-1000.html

I hope you get the suspension tuned to your satisfaction and have many years of happy RV'ing.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote